7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 8:21 AM by Tracey at Sable

Pantone 021 conversion issues

Tracey at Sable

Hi,

I have produced a logo using 021, a real vibrant orange. I created a letterhead template in InDesign to export as a background for Microsoft Word, however, when using as a pdf file it deadens the colour. Am assuming because it has been converted to CMYK through the pdf?

Does anyone konw if I can get around this. Cient is obviously wanting the colour consistant across all media and devices...

Thanks

Tracey

• 1. Re: Pantone 021 conversion issues
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's a Pantone colour - meaning it's printed with a Pantone ink - specifically designed for a specific application - like a paint.

It can't be reproduced in CMYK - it can only be approximated.

Likewise - it can only be approximated in HEX and RGB.

Then it requires the users Monitor to be colour calibrated - otherwise it will look different on every screen - unless you use a Web Safe Color.

Hex Values are FE5000

RGB is 254, 80, 0

This may get you the orange you're looking for - or it might not.

• 2. Re: Pantone 021 conversion issues
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have the most recent version to test, but I don't think MS Word supports spot color. InDesign CS6 and later defines all Pantone spot colors as Lab. Try converting the 021 swatch to process Lab then export the color unchanged (PDF/X-4 preset). I just tested in an ancient version of MS Word and that worked.

ScreenSnapz001.png

• 3. Re: Pantone 021 conversion issues

Cient is obviously wanting the colour consistant across all media and devices...

You should not promise that—021 is well outside of any CMYK gamut

• 4. Re: Pantone 021 conversion issues
                skiddydoodah Level 1

If you just need to create a pdf that retains the orange as a spot colour then use PDFX1a export settings as a starting point, this setting retains spots

• 5. Re: Pantone 021 conversion issues

this setting retains spots

But the problem may be that MS Word doesn't display the Lab definition of the spot color.

My older version of Word displays spot colors as black. Here's a PDF/X-4 with the top color as a spot and then  with the 021 spot converted to process Lab (not process CMYK) below:

Screen shot 2014-01-13 at 11.40.31 AM.png

Screen shot 2014-01-13 at 11.40.04 AM.png

• 6. Re: Pantone 021 conversion issues
                    Tracey at Sable Level 1

Thanks for all the comments, have tried a few of the suggested fixes, however, it seems to be pointing more and more to how Word treats the spot colour. Even though we are retaining the spot in the pdf, once it is brought into word as a background and then saved as a pdf, we rae reverting to the way it looks as CMYK.

Bottom line may be that this is the only outcome from word. With 021 being such a rich vivd colour once litho printed, the expectations on all other routes are a little lacking...

• 7. Re: Pantone 021 conversion issues
                      Tracey at Sable Level 1

Hi Eugene,

Just wanted the say a big thank you, you really saved my bacon. I tried the RGB value you suggested and it was a good enough match to keep the client happy.

Thank you immensely!