4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 6:43 PM by zimmedl

Adobe Photoshop and Sony Camera A7

zimmedl

I just purchased a Sony mirrorless camera called the A7.  I am questioning whether or not Adobe Photoshop has updated its information to properly process the raw files from the new A7. I like to process with raw files.  I am currently using Photoshop CS5.

• 1. Re: Adobe Photoshop and Sony Camera A7
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That camera was added in Camera Raw 8.3, which is the current version. It is not compatible with your version of Photoshop. You'll either have to upgrade your Photoshop or else use the DNG converter 8.3.

• 2. Re: Adobe Photoshop and Sony Camera A7
            zimmedl Level 1

Your answer was very helpful.  I did download DNG converter and was able to use it with Photoshop CS5 and camera raw 7.2 ( I believe it was ).  My question now is, will the use of the DNG converter in anyway degrade my RAW sony file from the A7 before I open it in Photoshop CS5?  Or should I just give up and install the Sony software for working with RAW files?  I really don't want to do this.  Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Adobe Photoshop and Sony Camera A7
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The raw image data in the DNG file is virtually the same data that was in the original file. All the DNG file is is a new container to hold that raw image data in a standardized way that is easy for Camera Raw to provide access to. So the answer to your question is, no, the image data will not be degraded. You can use the DNG file with complete confidence that you are getting everything from your version of Camera Raw.

• 4. Re: Adobe Photoshop and Sony Camera A7
                zimmedl Level 1

Mr. Hess, thank you very much for your quick reply.  You have been very helpful and I will use DNG converter until I decide what else to do in the future.  Thanks again.