4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 2:49 PM by Chase Chick

After Effects Rendering too long

Chase Chick Level 1

I am trying to make about a 7 second clip of some photography (converted into that cool 3D paralax effect) with a lens flare and a CC light rays effect.  The damn thing took two hours and was less than halfway done, which seemed extremely long to me.  Here is my setup:

i7 4770 (2 processes for system, and 6 for AE, with 2 gigs per process)

Nvidia 760 4bg

32 gigs ram (4 set aside for system and the rest for Creative Cloud stuff)

SSD: system, media cache

HDD: projects, files

Everything else I've tried to render has been reasonable times.  For instance 5 minute clips usually take about 15 minutes.  I've tried variations of the multiprocessing tab to no avail, and changing the media cache to HDD which didn't work also.  Just seems like something is going terrible wrong.

So I guess my question is twofold.

1) How important would it be to get another drive?  (I'm between adding one SSD or getting 2 HDD's per my budget, which presents another question of would a 2 SSD, 1 HDD setup be better than a 1 SSD, 3 HDD setup)

2) Do I possibly have something configured wrong?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: After Effects Rendering too long
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's quite possible that you've accidentally changed your composition to use the 3d ray-traced renderer instead of the standard renderer. That could make a huge difference.

• 2. Re: After Effects Rendering too long
            Chase Chick Level 1

I actually tried it both ways. 

Actually the more that I think about it, I might have forgot to manually change my composition settings to 1080p.  And if that is the case then it could explain some of the slowness if AE is trying to render out a scene with 16megapixel images.  But even with that I wouldn't think that a 7 second scene would be looking at a 4 hour render time.  (I did have Adobe Media Encoder rending what I had into 1080p though.)

• 3. Re: After Effects Rendering too long
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your comp is huge, that could certainly explain it.

Also, your assets should only be as large as they will ever be in the screen. That is to say, once you've got them clipped out how you want them in Photoshop, you should save a copy of the asset that have been resized down to 1920 wide or 1080 high max. Although, if you're planning to scale it up in AE or move the camera closer to it, adjust that number to whatever you need. Basically, the smaller your assets, the quicker AE will be able to work. (In most situations.)

• 4. Re: After Effects Rendering too long
                Chase Chick Level 1

I'll test it out tonight and report back.  I just have a feeling that it couldn't explain the exhorbitant wait time.  4 hours for a 7 second clip is a little much. 

Any feedback on my setup or settings?