12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2015 3:11 AM by Soji_Okita RSS

How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files

MikeGardiner

Hi All

I have an Olympus OMD EM5 and I notice that when RAW files are imported into Lightroom, an automatic correction is applied by default. It appears to read this directly from the metadata of the RAW file. Can anyone advise how to disable this?

The issue is that this correction means that the RAW files in Lightroom differ from both the camera viewfinder and JPG output in terms of composition - sometimes barely so, and sometimes significantly depending on angle, zoom etc. This is undesirable behavior in a lot of instances where you want the RAW to match your chosen composition.

Thanks

Mike

• 1. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files
          dj_paige Community Member

I'm pretty sure that by default no lens correction is applied by Lightroom.

Furthermore, Lightroom does not act on the metadata in the file that concerns lenses or lens distortion.

So, exactly what are you seeing that you're not liking?

• 2. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files
            ssprengel MVP

The E-M5 is a micro-4/3 camera. 

I don’t have one to know for sure, but M4/3 and point-and-shoot cameras typically correct their lens distortion in camera before writing out a camera-jpg, and Adobe typically also always corrects lens distortion with a lens profile that cannot be turned off.

Because the profile cannot be turned off, it is not listed in the lens-profiles area of the Lens Corrections panel.

Can you provide a raw+jpg pair of the same photo, one where the lens corrections differ significantly from the raw file when opened in LR?  To share a pair of files, upload them to www.dropbox.com <http://www.dropbox.com>  or similar large-file-hosting site and post a public download link for them in a reply, here.

• 3. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files
              MikeGardiner Community Member

At least when shooting with the OMD EM5, information on the lens and body is stored in the metadata file and used to apply a distortion correction automatically in Lightroom - this is a known 'feature' and discussed on the DPReview forums and other resources.

Are we able to link to external sites? This is from a quick search:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3360997#forum-post-50579906 - This link discusses the 'feature'.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3373848

http://www.fredmiranda.com/testforum/topic/1131891

Unfortunately, while there are a lot of discussions about it, there's no real information about whether Lightroom can have it disabled.

I'm at work and don't have access to test images, but this morning I took a photo of a high rise apartment and in lightroom it had significantly altered the angle of the structure. I had the JPG (in Picassa) and the RAW (in Lightroom) side by side and there was a definite difference. Opening the ORF in Olympus Viewer showed an image that matched the JPG perfectly, more evidence that Lightroom applies an automatic correction.

• 4. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files
                DdeGannes MVP

With the Micro 4/3rd system both Panasonic and Olympus have lens designs that require distortion correction to be applied. The data is stored in the raw file and is applied by the camera's firmware when creating a jpeg file. Depending on the camera body and the lens being used specifically Micro 4/3rd's design lenses then Lightroom will apply the corrections required by the info in the raw file. This should happen automatically and there is no way to adjust/turn off this process. The lens design for Micro 4/3rd's require these adjustments in software processing both in camera and with third party processing to achieve acceptable results. This is so by design to keep the lens size and cost at an acceptable level.

• 5. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files

Thanks ssprengel, I should note my reply was to dj_paige.

When I get home tonight, I'll upload the two files and I'll make an overlay of the two in Photoshop that will hopefully better demonstrate the difference.

• 6. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files

Hi DdeGannes, just to clarify the difference between RAW & JPG/Viewfinder only appears in Lightroom and ACR. I can open the RAW file in other software (such as the Olympus Viewer or Capture One), and it will perfectly match the JPG and viewfinder.

I don't know what happens at the time of the photo being taken, but the above indicates that there is an additional process being made in Adobe software and is not required in any way (It can be argued that the 'feature' is desirable, but certainly not required).

• 7. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files
                      DdeGannes MVP

I do not have an Olympus Micro 4.3rd's body but I do have a Panasonic G3 and the raw processing with Lightroom, Capture One, Olympus Viewer, Qimage, all match in terms of Lens correction. I also have Aftershot Pro and it does not apply any lens correction. Have you by chance selected a lens profile in Lightroom to make additional correction? 

• 8. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files

There is definitely no lens profile or manual correction being made.

Without wanting this to come out the wrong way, I'm not trying to clarify that the RAW automatic correction actually happens - there's plenty of proof and documentation found on the internet that confirms it.

Instead, I'm really trying to find out WHY it happens only specifically in Lightroom and ACR, and how to disable it from ocurring.

• 9. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files

Further to this, there's a good thread found here:

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=47267

Which goes a bit into the technical discussion surrounding these automatic distortions.

Long story short, it appears there's no way to disable this

It would be good, in future versions, to have a simple option where lens metadata can be ignored for the purpose of automatic lens correction on a per-photo basis. To be fair, the instances where it would be undesirable to automate the correction are probably few and far between, but the option would be nice.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone from Adobe ever monitor these forums?

• 10. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files
                            ssprengel MVP

The RAW+JPG has been requested from your camera so others can verify if what you’re seeing is universal or if it is particular to your system.

If it is universal then it should be reported as a bug and at least we should have an explanation why Adobe is not doing the same correction as the camera.

If the issue is only on your system, then it would be good to find out why you’re seeing a difference.

Your initial question assumes that LR is doing the wrong correction and the camera is doing none, and you want to disable LR from doing its correction so it’ll match what you’re seeing in the camera.

My version of the question is based on the assumption that LR is already doing a lens correction just like the camera is and why is LR doing the wrong correction, so rather than turning it off, the correction should be corrected so it’ll be the same.

• 11. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files
                              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Yes, distortion (and in some cases, lateral CA) is automatically corrected by ACR/Lr for all Micro Four Third cameras when used with supported lenses (generally, native MFT lenses).  This cannot be disabled.

Btw, the corrected image should closely match what is shown within the (electronic) viewfinder and/or back of the LCD during image composition.  In other words, the live preview and in-camera JPEGs / videos are also already corrected in similar fashion.

• 12. Re: How to disable automatic distortion correction from RAW files
                                Soji_Okita

Hi everyone,

With Lightroom 6 there was little change about this: now, it is clearly stated that an automatic correction is applied, which is good.

But there is still no way to disable it.

As MadManChan2000 said, the corrected image closely match what is show on the camera, and the JPEG files.

But for some images, you don't care about distorsion correction, so it would be preferable to deactivate it (or to choose, for example, 50% of the correction).

Especially on wide angle lenses, the sharpness in the corners is a lot better without the correction, so for landscape images, it would be very interesting to be able to disable or tune it.