1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 10:58 AM by sjpt

drm error on ereader

trendychiccanada

I dont get what this is. has something to do with the time. and it says something about only being able to open the book on the computer you bought and payed and intalled it on only one computer that doesnt make sense kobo said i can install this book on all my devices.  i am a computer idiot and it has taking 2 full days to get this far ssssoooo not impressed

• 1. Re: drm error on ereader
          sjpt Level 4

You must authorize all the devices with the same Adobe ID (or vendor ID if the vendor uses Adobe DRM but with their own authorization code).

If you have downloaded the books to an unregistered (registered same as authorized) copy of ADE ...

This is a vicious trap that Adobe lays for unsuspecting customers.

They do give very mild warnings, but not nearly strong enough.

When you register 'without ID', ADE creates an anonymous/implicit ID with limited powers (eg can't be used to share with other devices).

Whenever you first load a DRM book, that copy of the book is associated with whatever ID the computer is registered to at the time.

Any book you load while this anonymous ID is active gets associated with that ID, and can't be read on any other device.

When you properly register your computer with a real ID, that old anonymous ID is lost.

Now you don't have any devices that can read the book.

The only way I know round this is to use a DRM stripper such as epubee BEFORE you deauthorize the device.

I do NOT advocate using such code to get around the valid limitations placed on a DRM book.

However, where the problem arises only because of the ineptness of Adobe's ADEPT DRM infrastructure and its implementation,

such a measure is totally justifiable.