12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 2:18 AM by antona71647875

Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?

Alan Cockerill

I am trialling Creative Cloud on a Mac, and want to find out if InDesign CC will support the formatting of Japanese text with Furigana. I have tried copying and pasting text from a Word document into InDesign, but the furigana disappears from above the kanji, and appears in brackets after each character. I also note that Japanese appears to be missing from the list of languages when I try to assign a language to the text, though Japanese fonts are supported.

• 1. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
          Ken G. Rice Adobe Employee

Moved from the Creative Cloud to the InDesign forum. They will be able to help you here.

• 2. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you download the Japanese version? And are you set to use the World Ready Composer?

• 3. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
              Alan Cockerill Level 1

Hello Peter,

Thank you for responding. Since posting I have downloaded the Japanese version, but am not sure about whether I am set to use the World Ready Composer. Is that already incorporated into InDesign?

Alan Cockerill

• 4. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
                Alan Cockerill Level 1

Hello again Peter,

Thank you for your advice. I turned on the Japanese paragraph composer, and the ruby started working fine.

One last question. Is there any way of preserving the furigana/ruby from a word document when pasting into InDesign? I am currently reinserting it into the text one character at a time.

Thanks again.

Alan Cockerill

• 5. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
                  David W. Goodrich Level 3

I don't have much experience with furigana/ruby, and they are not a hot topic around here so I hope someone who knows better will answer -- maybe one of the contributors to this Jan. 2012 thread.   Best of all would be confirmation that the Japanese version of InDesign imports MS Word furigana correctly: it ought to, of course, but given the complaints around here about ID's importing of MS Word files I'm not holding my breath.

Both HTML5 and Epub3 include furigana, which bodes well for the future.  Meanwhile back in the present one must get work out the door.  The first thing to try is to import ("place") the text into ID rather than paste it in from the clipboard.  If importing *.docx fails, the usual advice is to try *.rtf or *.doc (obviously, the older formats might not handle furigana as well).  After that, well, I suppose I'd look into Word conversions to HTML or XML to see about massaging elements in those formats to yield something useful either during import into ID with an XSLT transformation of XML, or afterwards in ID with Javascript.  (Here I have in mind the hoops people jump through getting footnotes into InDesign from Word and XML.)

Good luck!
                  David

• 6. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
                    Alan Cockerill Level 1

Hello David,

Thanks very much for this advice. I will try out your suggestions.

Alan

• 7. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
                      Alan Cockerill Level 1

Thanks again, David. You have solved my problem. All I needed to do was use the “place” command instead of copying from the clipboard, and the furigana copied across OK.

Many thanks.

Alan

• 8. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
                        Uaifestival

My problem is slightly light.

I do not know if it is better start a new thread, since they are already many.

On English Indesign version (current 2017 Suite) I have japanese characters ( I use AdboeKaiti) but Japanese as a language is not in the option listed to select.

There is any way to add it, with extra plug in

• 9. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
                          Joel Cherney Level 5

Your question is a little bit different, but not so different that you're posting in the wrong thread. You could have started a new one, as well.

If you are using English InDesign, you have a few choices to get Japanese support. You can buy a plugin, like World Tools Pro from in-tools.com. That will give you a good set of Japanese typesetting tools, but with an English interface. If you read Japanese, you can download a Japanese version of InDesign from Creative Cloud. (Adobe doesn't make a version of ID with Japanese formatting tools and English interface.)

If you don't read Japanese and don't want to spend any money, you have some more options. The best one is, I think, using the TransPacific Digital templates, which will set you up with paragraph styles that have the J Composer turned on, and have Japanese as an option for marking text in the Character panel. This is what I use myself, but it requires far more understanding of how InDesign handles text. If you don't know what I mean when I ask you "which composer are you using?" then probably you should either not use this method, or you should read up on how InDesign composes text, and how to use paragraph styles, and how to import styles from one document into another, and so on.

You can get Japanese in the language dropdown list with other methods, but you can't get the J composer on in this way. The reason you'd need the J composer is for stuff like kinsoku settings, which control what characters are allowed to start a new line - like, for example, a comma or a close parenthesis. If you don't read Japanese, you would still know that and be able to manually intervene to prevent errors, but you might not know that things like small hiragana or long vowels are are also typically forbidden as line-starting characters.

Lastly: If you know Javascript, all of tools to typeset Japanese text are available via InDesign's scripting interface.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
                            Uaifestival Level 1

thanks that explains a lot ( I am reading Japanese partially, say toward JPN2)

Dealing with a Japanese version of Indesign would be painful since I am a indesign beginner, and I really love it by the way.

On the other side I do not know what composer I user beside Open Office could be the answer but it is guessing the real

meaning of the question!

• 11. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
                              Joel Cherney Level 5

Yeah, I can see how you would assume that "composer" refers to "that tool I use to write text." But when I say "J Composer" I'm referring to InDesign's methods of displaying characters in text, variously called the "World-Ready Composer" or "Japanese Composer" or "Adobe Paragraph Composer" or "Adobe Single-Line Composer" and so on.

You can find the Composer settings in a few different places - in the Justification dialog, in the Justification section of the Paragraph Style dialog, in the flyout menu on the Paragraph panel, and a few other places. Most people using InDesign don't need to think about which composer they're using, because the default paragraph composer does a fine job. However, if you are doing work in languages that are not written in Latin or Cyrillic scripts, you usually have to manually assign a different composer.

If you really wanted to learn about Japanese typesetting, there is good documentation for the Japanese version of InDesign from Adobe in both English and Japanese.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Does InDesign CC support Japanese text?
                                antona71647875

> (Adobe doesn't make a version of ID with Japanese formatting tools and English interface.)

I used InDesign CC with Japanese typesetting enabled, but with English interface, to typeset a Japanese book with furigana back in March.

It’s true that Adobe doesn’t make this setup easy to achieve though, I don’t have the exact step-by-step guide yet. You might have to experiment with removing and reinstalling InDesign after changing your language settings to get the Japanese version, then change language back to get the English one.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 午後7.33.25.png