15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2014 5:37 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere won't accept AVI Video

Uniquescreen name

So I'm trying to get a video from my files into Premiere Elements 10 and it's not letting me, saying that it's not supported and that the required codec is not installed. It's a AVI. file from my camera. I don't know how to install a codec but i'd very much like to learn how! Unless it's just not supported but I don't think that's the problem. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Uniquescreen name

First thing we need to do is to find out what kind of .avi it is.

a. Download and install the free utility name gspot to get the information

Video Codec    Codec  Name  Status

Audio Codec    Codec  Name  Status

You can also gather the frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, and display aspect ration from the readout.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

The brand/model/settings for the camera recording this video would supplement the above.

We will be watching for your follow up problem so that we can define the problem and solve it.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More about what ATR said, with links

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

• 3. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video
              Uniquescreen name Level 1

A.T. Romano and John T. Smith, thanks for replying. I just installed gspot and here's some more info about it:

Video Codec: MJPG   Name: Motion JPEG   Status: Codecs are installed

Audio Codec: PCM audio  (Didn't see a name but here's Info): 44100Hz 706kb/s [1chnl]   Status: No codec required

It's from my Canon camera and there's some more data too: CanonMVI06

Hope that helps. Thank you!

• 4. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Uniquescreen name

Thanks for the additional information. Very helpful.

The MotionJPEG video compression in a video file can create problems in Premiere Elements (any version). It is a toss up whether it is because a video codec is missing or whether it is present but just not available to the program.

Some of the fixes for this type of situation

a. If the Canon came with a utility program, install that program to get the codec for it.

or

b. Download and install the Morgan MotionJPEG codec (it comes as a tryout and can be purchased if worth the investment for you)

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/morgan_m-jpeg_codec.cfm

or

c. Convert the MotionJPEG into another format that is compatible with Premiere Elements

(we can discuss this choice more next once we know the properties of the MotionJPEG.avi file that you have...frame size, frame rate, etc.)

More later.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A Premiere Elements TIPS article http://forums.adobe.com/thread/730396 with more MJPEG information

• 6. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video

John T. Smith,

That article has some good points about MPEGs too.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video

A.T. Romano,

Thanks again for replying.

Here are some more properties of that MotionJPEG file:

Frame size (Or Frame count? Didn't see one that just said Frame size...):1,127   

Frame rate: 30.000     Pixel Aspect ratio: 1.000 (1:1)     Display Aspect ration: 1.333(4:3)

Also the Canon did come with a solution disk but I had already installed the programs on it to my computer. I don't remember seeing anything having to with codecs in it, although I could double check or re-install it if you think that might be it.

So there's some more hopefully helpful information for you. Thanks!

• 8. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Unique,

Also the Canon did come with a solution disk but I had already installed the programs on it to my computer. I don't remember seeing anything having to with codecs in it,

Unfortunately, most camera mfgrs. do not discuss CODEC's for motion files from their camera's, and seem to work under the assumption that every customer will just install their utility programs.

There are three main ways that camera mfgrs. get the necessary CODEC's onto a customer's computer:

• Separate CODEC installer (almost never used, but would be the best course of action)
                        • Install CODEC with camera's driver(s) (sometimes used)
                        • Install CODEC with other utiltiy, cataloging, editing programs (most common, but the user seldom is informed about the installation of the CODEC too - poor decision, IMHO)

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Uniquescreen name

Thank you for the helpful additional information.

It looks like your best way is to download and install the Morgan MotionJPEG codec. It comes as a tryout.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/morgan_m-jpeg_codec.cfm

If is works for your task, then you can decide if it is worth the investment.

An alternative to installing that codec is to convert your MotionJPEG.avi into another format that will be compatible for Premiere Elements. I still do not know the frame size of what you are using...

1920 x 1080

1280 x 720

640 x 480

If the 640 x 480, you could convert that into DV AVI and import the DV AVI version into Premiere Elements. Two converters might be

MPEG Streamclip (free)

and

Prism Converter (free one)

Each is described in post 2 of the following older thread.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62426

Please check out the above and then let me know how I can help further.

Thanks. Looking forward to your results.

ATR

Add On...When you get a chance, could you include the frame size of your video as well as the Canon model that is recording this video. I think the "Canon MVI06" may just be the brand name and a file name, not the model.

• 10. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video

A.T. Romano and Bill Hunt,

Thank you for your answers!

I decided to install the Prisim Convertor and was about to convert my video using that, but I'm not sure what the Output Format should be. A.T. Romano, you mentioned converting it into DV AVI and there is a DV and an AVI option but not together. It was automatically set on .wmv but thought I should double check...is that the best format for Preimere or is DV a better format I should be converting it to?

I'll try the Morgan MotionJPEG next if the convertor doesn't work.

Also it is a 640 X 480 frame size and the camera model is a PowerShot SD1200 IS, Digital.

Thanks for the continuous suggestions!

Uniquescreen name

• 11. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Uniquescreen name

Please refer back to post 2 in the reference that I cited for details for use of MPEG Streamclip for 4:3 and 16:9 and Prism Converter for 4:3.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62426

The end product of each for what is described is DV AVI Standard in the case of Prism and DV AVI Standard 4:3 or DV AVI Standard Widescreen 16:9 for MPEG Streamclip. Be sure to set the program exactly as written.

Definitely go DV AVI..

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video

Hey again,

I just converted the video using Prism and the instructions on your link, and it worked...Premiere plays my video now! Very helpful information.

I just have one more question. The video is a little fuzzy when I play it on there...is there anything I can do to fix that? Audio sounds just fine though.

But glad it finally worked!

Uniquescreen name

-I suppose the fuzziness could be due to the conversion to DV AVI, like you said on that link. So there's probably not much I can do to fix that right?

• 13. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Uniqesecreen name

Thanks for the great news. Glad the Prism conversion to DV AVI worked for you.

Let us see what we can do about what you are seeing as a bit fuzzy.

Where are you playing the DV AVI 4:3 and it is displaying a bit fuzzy - computer player before it gets to Premiere Elements or in the Premiere Elements Edit Mode monitor after the DV AVI has been imported?

If in Premiere Elements, are you assuring that the project preset is NTSC DV Standard? When you import the DV AVI into that project, do you have no colored line over that Timeline DV AVI content?

The free MPEG Streamclip program may give you a better result? Or, you might try bypassing the converters and doing a tryout of the Morgan MotionJPEG codec.

Then decide what gives you the best results if you are going to continue with source video as MotionJPEG.avi for your Premiere Elements projects.

We will be watching for further developments.

Good job.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video

A.T. Romano,

It seems the problem was that the preset wasn't NTSC DV Standard. I changed it though and it's not so fuzzy now.

Thank you for your help in getting this AVI video to finally play on Premiere!

Uniquescreen name

• 15. Re: Premiere won't accept AVI Video
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Uniquescreen name

Thanks. Great job of sorting out the details on that to get your good result.

Continued success.

ATR