1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2009 6:12 AM by Steveorevo

sugestions for Director 12

Aquilonian Level 1
      (hope someone in Adobe reads that)
      Before its too late

1 Make life easier for tlash users who want to make some 3d, add to Director only ONE more languages:
      ActionScript2 ( AS3 sux )

2 game lybraries game lybraries game lybraries

3 a better IDE, dont even have to create a new one, copy the flex one

4 help files with WORKING EXAMPLES

Adobe please never forget your market is NOT the old Director users but the flash users that want to make some 3d but would rather user papervision(bleargh) tham Director
        • 1. Re: sugestions for Director 12
          Level 7
          5. And some decent documentation. Even some crappy documentation would be
          better than the last version.

"Aquilonian" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fj3elv$plg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > (hope someone in Adobe reads that)
          > Before its too late
          >
          > 1 Make life easier for tlash users who want to make some 3d, add to
          > Director
          > only two more languages:
          > ActionScript2 and ActionScript3 with all his classes, oop boureaucracy and
          > .as
          > files(some can say it already have it with swfs inside, well, its not the
          > same,cant make 3d with flash movies)
          >
          > 2 game lybraries game lybraries game lybraries
          >
          > 3 a better IDE, dont even have to create a new one, copy the flex one
          >
          > 4 help files with WORKING EXAMPLES
          >
          > Adobe please never forget your market is NOT the old Director users but
          > the
          > flash users that want to make some 3d but would rather user
          > papervision(bleargh) tham Director
          >
          >

• 2. Re: sugestions for Director 12
            Aquilonian Level 1
            Thats sooo true, i forget how many times i've gone to the help files and they sux, they skip information, they dont have examples, while in flash is a matter of seconds, just copy'n paste, to see how the stuff works
            • 3. Re: sugestions for Director 12
              Level 7
              tr and Aquilonian

I've piched up a few documentation errors recently that have have reported to
              Adobe. If there's anything specific you have noticed that's incorrect or lacking,
              let me know.

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
              email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 4. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                Level 7
                I've posted several errors, missing properties or methods on the livedocs on the last 2 years, but none of them was added...
                I know that job was done by Tom Higgings, but somewhere they should have all the comments people send them.

Dean Utian ha scritto:
                > tr and Aquilonian
                >
                > I've piched up a few documentation errors recently that have have reported to
                > Adobe. If there's anything specific you have noticed that's incorrect or lacking,
                > let me know.
                >
                > regards
                > Dean
                >
                > Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                > http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                > http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                > email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au
                • 5. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                  Aquilonian Level 1
                  I have created this thread only for SUGESTIONS

6 Make Director cames with a simple and easy 3d software, something like anim8or, it will be a poor choice for advanced users but it doesnt matter, to atract new users Director should be EASY to have something done FASTER.

7 Forget that filters crap, give up doing anything that flash already does, The masses would never choose Director to do something they can do with flash

8 NEVER NEVER NEVER listen to old school director users that thinks Director is the wonder of the wonders no matter what.THIS IS NOT YOUR MARKET.
                  • 6. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                    Opera Rat Level 1
                    Undo - up to at least 10 levels, rather than the current 1 !!!!!

Most Flash users aren't going to move to Director. So input from the Director Masters of Old IS relevant. Yet, if they can get Director to be as user friendly as Flash and have all the cool tools that Flash has that would be wise.
                    • 7. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                      Aquilonian Level 1
                      It was pleasing the 'masters' that Director ends up on what it is today.
                      Many Flash users do ARE looking for 3d alternatives, if you pay attention on Adobe Max, there was a huge, very huge crowd at the papervision seminar and only 2 or 3 new folks at the Director one

• 8. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                        Level 7
                        lao wrote:

> I've posted several errors, missing properties or methods on the livedocs on the last 2 years, but none of them was added...
                        > I know that job was done by Tom Higgings, but somewhere they should have all the comments people send them.

Well, if there are any you can point out, email me (d.utian@unsw.edu.au). Now,back to the suggestions...

regards
                        Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                        http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                        http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                        email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 9. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                          adam@blueapplestudio Level 1
                          As a Flash user that has come over to Director specifically for 3D, I would like to see better integration with 3D applications- specifically Lightwave.

1-Lightwave has a panel called Motion Mixer where individual animation sequences can be saved and named within the 3D application. It would be great to access these animations from within Director by name.

2-The script editor could better mirror the editor in Flash CS3. (EX: Better auto-formatting with JavaScript.)
                          • 10. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                            Wolfgang Herold Level 2
                            10. Add a mediaplayer to the core, that works with must new codecs and has no problem with overlay.
                            10a. add flv video natively.

for the qualitydepartment, i suggest to carefully read the director qirklist at
                            http://www.updatestage.com/quirkList.html

regards
                            Wolfgang
                            • 11. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                              Wolfgang Herold Level 2
                              11. Add Styles like in Fireworks or Photoshop to the fontparameters
                              12. filehandling like in file4xtra
                              13. some real usefull OS features as in Calu's Rosetta xtra.
                              BTW. Calu has gone offline, does anybody know if he is
                              still allive?

regards
                              Wolfgang
                              • 12. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                the real POTMO Level 1
                                Stop making quick crappy stuff like Aquilonian i suggesting. It is people like Aquilonian thats fu**ng Director up. Start making quality insted of trying to steal people from flash with crappy javascript-syntax.

14. A good sound engine that can play sounds with no latency. Would be nice if one can mix channels as well. (not the crappy) 3d Sound would be nice as well.

15. Update the 3d engine with some new shaders and stuff. Optimize for speed. Dont make a crappy 3d editing software. There are a lot of them already.

16. Update the set/getPixel-functions for performance so I can write my own filters. Blur, Motionblur, multiplyink....

17. Bilinear resempling on scalling and rotating sprites as an option.

18. Better and actually working Vectorshapes.

19. Update all UI elements (not flash. Native directorstuff). Password inputfileds, skinnable buttons, background transparent and antialiazed inputfileds....

20. Make LDM work. Linked Director Movies is great if it would work. Making for example a buddylist that one can add to 20 games without stealing sprites and stuff is really handy.

21. A determenistic physicsengine would be nice. Without determenism you cant do multiplayer.

22. Listen to the comunity and fix all bugs. Is'nt it crazy for example that the Mac plugin doesnt calculate floatingpoint numbers as the PC plugin does. And isnt it crazy that they dont apprciate all of us that checks their softare for free and report bugs. Is it so hard to fix a little obvious bug and patch it?

23. Make a foldersystem in the cast (dont know if its maybe comming in DIR11).

24. Make it easier to work with external casts and to work in teams with versions.

25. Let us communicate with TCP and UDP with binary sockets and XML-sockets as they do in Flash.

Then i want to agree with #4. Give us a help that is covering everythin ito detail and that is complete. Give us an example of every function.
                                #10 and #12.
                                • 13. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                  Dan_Turner
                                  Yup I agree, don't bother adding some 3D modeling tool. You have Lightwave... use it. Director should have it's 3D engine replaced with a more up to date one that supports a decent shader model.

26. Make an XML parser that works.

27. Release a new (working) version on time.

• 14. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                    Level 7
                                    > 26. Make an XML parser that works.

Perhaps you could explain what doesn't work with the current one.
                                    • 15. sugestions for Director 12
                                      Aquilonian Level 1
                                      " Stop making quick crappy stuff like Aquilonian i suggesting. It is people like Aquilonian thats fu**ng Director up "
                                      Poor creature without feet on the ground.
                                      People like me had NEVER nothing to do with Director at all.It is to please people like YOU that DIErector take the way it is now today
                                      People like U who likes that pre historical language Lingo, who thinks that Director has a good IDE, and that the way it is today it can atract the masses
                                      " Start making quality insted of trying to steal people from flash with crappy javascript-syntax. "
                                      This 3d crap is around since director 8, since them the users could 'start making quality' and why they are not, genious?Because Director is NOT user friendly, Lingo looks like a language for the 80's
                                      And what that crap about javascript to steal flash users?Everyone today uses flash, so IF they plan to atract new users for DIErector gess where they will come from?And JavaScript is not only about flash, every serious language today is based on JavaScript/EcmaScript, like Java is, like unity has, like SilverLigth has too.This way they have superior coding practices, with OOP, etc.
                                      So, go on, keep adding all this crap to please people like this pot head.The user base will not increase, new content will be even more rare, the penetration of the plugin will keep falling.Good vaporware to you.
                                      • 16. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                        Aquilonian Level 1
                                        To summarise:
                                        The way it is today, the pot head way: cool complicated n64 3d made by very few 'coders'.So, thats the vicious circle, less coders, less content, penetration of the plugim falling, POTENTIAL users choosing papervision or java due to the falling penetration of shockwave, less and less sales until...
                                        But why bother, adobe will not change that.
                                        • 17. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                          the real POTMO Level 1
                                          quote:

Poor creature without feet on the ground.

Yes. Im so high on pot I'm just sitting here giggeling without any knowledge of the world outside. Im totaly disconnected.

quote:

This 3d crap is around since director 8, since them the users could 'start making quality'

Im not saying Director is THE thing but back in the days when Shockwave 3d came it really was good.
                                          I want to improve not take a step back and win cheap voters. Populism it's called and as I see it it never brings any good.

quote:

This way they have superior coding practices, with OOP, etc.

I thing you have some facts wrong. Lingo is OOP.
                                          a = script("my script").new()
                                          a.doThis("something")
                                          Or is'nt it?

Something I would like to have is Typed variables becouse the code gets easier to structure and you dont have to try everything before you know if it works.

quote:

Because Director is NOT user friendly, Lingo looks like a language for the 80's

Yep. And English is a language of the 1700's. Still works. And why add AS 2.0 ? Whats good with it? If anything add a powerful language like JAVA or C++. Why As2. At least AS 3.0. Why pick another slow, untyped, highlevel, semi-script-language?

And why not add every language in the world? Would be a swell to create the examples.
                                          In Ada do this:
                                          in JAVA do this:
                                          in JavaScript do this:
                                          in Lingo do this:
                                          in c++ do this:
                                          in c do this:
                                          in .....

quote:

Everyone today uses flash, so IF they plan to atract new users for DIErector gess where they will come from?

Not flash I tell you. They have already got Flash. Why would they switch. And why are they using Flash. Cos' all the development the last four years have been done on Flash and Director have been neglated by Macromedia. If the same effort would have been put into Director it would have been far more powerful then Flash.
                                          But OK. You stay with flash and stream video all night long. Im staying with Shockwave and making games.

quote:

So, go on, keep adding all this crap to please people like this pot head.The user base will not increase, new content will be even more rare, the penetration of the plugin will keep falling.Good vaporware to you.

Its the same with Apples Mac and the Linux OP's. Just scrap em'. They are not needed.
                                          • 18. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                            Steveorevo Level 1
                                            I'd strike the first suggestion, as Director already has the ECMA compliant JavaScript engine. Just make it faster like AS3. As for AS3 sucking compared to AS2? Thats a very ignorant comparison. Learning more vocabulary and faster functionality is ALWAYS a good thing.

>>1) Make life easier for tlash users who want to make some 3d, add >>to Director only ONE more languages:
                                            >>ActionScript2 ( AS3 sux )
                                            • 19. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                              hermis
                                              There will always be two solitudes. One one side the programmers: they hate Director, they want to learn AS3 as soon as possible, and If Director could become faster, even if that implies (like it did for AS3) more complexe programming and variable typing, they would be happy. After all, these guys did learn C++, so they don't care about AS3 becoming too complexe. In the other side, you have artists who managed to add some interativity to their projects. I hate AS3, FLex and all these impossible to understand syntaxes. It's not that I am stupid, as I can program complexe games with Javascript, LIngo or actionScript 2. Don't tell me I can keep using AS2 if I want, this is like telling some one he can't be part of the party anymore, but he still can have a bear on the porch. But I did try to make a real effort. After an afternoon with FLex and AS3, discovering with horror that it would take me hours and many many lines of codes and build classes to make a SIMPLE ROLLOVER !!! Hey, that's going back ten years ago !!! HELLO ADOBE ! If I want to works with classes, types variables, etc,etc, I'll go for Java or C. With AS3 and Flex programming, Adobe is Killing a thing called MULTIMEDIA, whereas artists like me could do some basic programming like we used to do in Director. I wouldn't be supprised that Director 13 will have a WHOLE NEW re-writen engine, yes a lot faster, yes ECMA compatible, but impossible to understand to designers like me. To me it is what happened to our great softwares: a few year ago, a bunch of jalous programmer were put in charge of the design and ergonomics at Adobe, with the pedagogical desaster we face today. I'll quit programming with adobe, and go for www.unity3D.com instead. At least with them, all the new very complexe programming skills I will learn wil be used for a real BUZZ and interactive 3D world, and leave you guys with the numerous hours it will take you to master Flex and finnally be able to populate a popup menu with XML content WOW ! cool, I used to do that 10 years ago with Director and File IO. Adobe killed the multimedia.
                                              • 20. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                the real POTMO Level 1
                                                I agree with you. I started out coding some stuff before i ended up with director many years ago. Director is great and easy. You dont have to worry about "typecasting" (setting the type of variables) and stuff and you still got good performence. Not the best, but good.
                                                But when you get to be a bit more advanced and want to do faster and more complex games with 100 of thousands of lines of code director stands a bit short. I've been there creating secure cashgamingapplications, casual communeties, and small free games.
                                                I Would like it to be just as it are now but with the option to go bananas and do the advanced stuff for the advanced developers. For me it doesnt matter that it takes a class with 30 lines of code to do a rollover if i get it just the way I want it.
                                                I hope Director can as well as now and in the feauture be a platform for both newbees and haxorz. I just want Adobe to give us (we who do huge complex stuff) the tools to be able to not be stopped by the platform but by our own imagination and creativeness.

I think that waht Adobe could do to get the best out of Director is to do what all major platforms do: Listen to the community and give them what they want. Whithout the community director isnt worth anything.

So Adobe: Go for it and aim high. Im happy to help you!
                                                • 21. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                  _lw
                                                  >The way it is today, the pot head way...

Ok, i understand that you want to have a realtime 3D engine in Flash and you are forced to use Director. You know the Flash-interface and the way things are done in flash,but you don't want to learn 'lingo'.

From the perspective of a Flash-User i can understand this and i am sure Adobe would like to sell to all Flash-Users a Director lizense instead of building a 3D-Engine into Flash (this would sell two programms instead of one).

But if you would take a few minutes to get into Director, you would also notice that a lot of things are very well done and you are able to do things much faster then in flash. I think it will be much more interesting to invest more attention to features that would enhance game-development (adobe has no tool in the still growing market of gamedevelopment).

My suggestions for D12 are:
                                                  - updates to the 3D Engine (normalmaps, realtime-shadows, refraction, bsp tree, polygonereduction for terrains, 'nextshader', additive blending, something to use phong-shading with a given angle, render to texture)
                                                  - Havok2 or some other deterministic physics engine
                                                  - Audio (3D, fast, good soundmixing)
                                                  - Multiuser (with streaming media, voip, webcams...)
                                                  - saving all kinds of castmembers to hardisk
                                                  - support for other Platforms (xbox, ps2/3, wii, linux, mobile devices)
                                                  - fullscreen and things like "move_cursor" integrated
                                                  - support for gamepads and other devices
                                                  - something that enables flash members to be used as interactive realtime textures (fast)
                                                  • 22. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                    leaves30
                                                    Suggestions for D12:

(1) Database tools:
                                                    Make it possible to attach custom tags/properties to castlib members.
                                                    If you had a castlib full of images of people and then were able to attach fx an AGE or a COMPANY property to the image members. Then made it possible to seach the members with corresponding lingo expressions like: getAllMembers.age > 20 or getAllMembers.company = Adobe.

(2) Text editor at runtime
                                                    I use a hell of a lot of lingo to make a text editor so that my customer are able to edit the text contents of their presentations. It would be so cool if it was possible to open a standard text editor from a projector.

• 23. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                      www.gamesmaken.pagina.nl
                                                      actually i don't find lingo a difficult language, however it is so confusing sometimes and not always so consequent. This is also because of the legacy. Things that worked in director 8 but not anymore later on, etc. Sometimes you can use a dot notation, other times you can't. Sometimes you can adress an object with a dot notation, other times you can't. so, maybe a stricter and more straightforward language (as3?) would not be such a bad idea.

my suggestions:

1. game libraries (look at a simple and cheap programm as gamemaker. I can make a game in 30 minutes, that will take me a day or so in director (sprite creation not included).

2. clear hierarchical code where it is so clear how to adress objects, sprites, frames, movies etc.

3. midi functionalities

4. everything flash can do in a native way (not importing flash files)

5. improved speed for gamecreation

6. multiple undo's

7. object oriented workflow screens (such as in gamemaker or other gamedevelopment tools)

8. import of powerpoint reinstalled (the documentation still says it can be done, but this is not true)

9. easier, more accessible xtra creation tools.

10. input for joystics/webcam etc.

11. export for other gameplatforms (nintendo ds, wii, mobile phones, linux, PS3, etc.

that is it for now.

________________________________________________________________________________________
                                                      Get the open source book on
                                                      projectmanagement.
                                                      • 24. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                        bobthree
                                                        I have only a couple of things that I would like to see in the next release. I am an old CorelDraw user from way back, I am using Director 8 and it would be nice to able to import vector images created with CorelDraw. I know that it is a competiter with Illistrator, but it would still be nice.

My other suggestion would be to package the shockwave viewer, the flash viewer and the acrobat reader into one program. I have clients that do not want their clients to have to download shockwave in order to view a Director movie over the internet. They would rather the client have to wait on a static PDF study to download, rather than an interactive study that is streaming, just because they do not think their clients are capable of downloading shockwave They have Acrobat Reader on thier machines, they probably think it came with Microsoft or the Software Fairy installed it while they were asleep one night.

You can create the ultimate movie (or website), however, if it can not be easily accessed, then you have wasted your time.
                                                        • 25. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                          bobthree Level 1
                                                          Sorry, but I forgot one more thing. I am an Architect, I design buildings, however, I use Director more and more for presentations, marketing and interactive autorun CDs. I am not a programmer, have no desire to become one. The thing that I like about Lingo is that I can pretty much write in English what I want it to do. Eventually I would like to learn the dot thing. I would like to see Director stay simple for all of us who are not programmers, but still use the program.
                                                          • 26. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                            wurstel
                                                            any news on director CS3 ?
                                                            • 27. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                              the real POTMO Level 1
                                                              no not any. They still got some days to announce anything. An announcment should come this month!
                                                              • 28. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                Dan_Turner Level 1
                                                                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

Perhaps you could explain what doesn't work with the current one.

If you don't use make list straight away and dump the XML, shockwave will cause an exponential memory leak.

Peeps should stop trying to turn Director into something it's not. Lingo is a good solid language and director has it's place, it doesn't need to have several languages and API's to do it's job. Export to these languages may be a good idea though. The c++ exporter xtra is a good example. Also, a director shockwave player for pda / mobile / wireless would be fantastic! As for native compiling for consoles and phones... woah, now that would be cool!

It is truly becoming vaporware though....

• 29. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                  Romeo.Marian
                                                                  quote:

Originally posted by: Dan Turner

If you don't use make list straight away and dump the XML, shockwave will cause an exponential memory leak.

The Director XML parser works just fine.
                                                                  The memory leak is a Shockwave Player bug.
                                                                  There're two other memory issues: sound and textures (w3d member) related.
                                                                  For me it looks like a bad memory management (many shockwave pieces are crashing after 5-10 minutes).
                                                                  They need to fix them as soon as possible.
                                                                  • 30. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                    wurstel Level 1
                                                                    3. midi functionalities would be super
                                                                    • 31. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                      Erniegar Level 1
                                                                      Since Director is now owned by Adobe, the makers of Photoshop.....I'd like to think the next version will enable us to import .PSD files successfully !

At the moment, to successfully do so, we have to purchase Photocaster/Alphamania for $349. In this day and age, for designers to be able to import PSDs is a must ! (Especially since this is all Adobe we're talking about!)
                                                                      • 32. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                        Erniegar Level 1
                                                                        To be able to add our own custom behaviors to the library to appear everytime we use Director would also be very useful.....
                                                                        • 33. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                          Level 7
                                                                          That you can do now. Make a cast with the behaviours, save the case as
                                                                          a .cst file and copy that cst file to the Director\Configuration\Libs
                                                                          folder. Then it will be in the library next time you open Director.

Erniegar wrote:
                                                                          > To be able to add our own custom behaviors to the library to appear everytime we use Director would also be very useful.....
                                                                          • 34. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                            ytlevine Level 1
                                                                            Add support for .flv files (instead of having to add them to a .swf) and add the ability to add a player toolbar to the .flv.
                                                                            • 35. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                              dan_hin Level 1
                                                                              support for layers

proper OOP (i hate it when i can't access properties, and have to use "the xxxxxxxx")

multiple undo's

-as far as I'm aware there's already psd support
                                                                              • 36. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                                the real POTMO Level 1
                                                                                Mardy Dum: very often you can use _movie.something or _player.something and so on.
                                                                                examples:
                                                                                _mouse.locH - the mouseLoc.locH
                                                                                _key.keyDown - the keyDown
                                                                                _movie.frame - the frame

Dont know if all of the above does work but I gues you get the point :)
                                                                                • 37. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                                  lizardman2 Level 1
                                                                                  How abouta Flash CS5 implemented with a slight Maya 3D and Director 13 doing even further building on its flv streaming and (despite unpopular -programming impl.)a whole bunch of C++ screen for alMOST anything Artificial reality Photoshop CS4 implementation AIprogramming agents.
                                                                                  • 38. sugestions for Director 12
                                                                                    Brian Stew Level 2
                                                                                    I came across an interesting article by Colin Moock (good Actionscript book author) regarding the controversy around AS2 vs AS3; one and a half year after its release AS3 is still controversial and not widely accepted among Flash developers. Moock does some fine myth busting (by comparing AS1/AS2 vs AS3 line by line showing that it isn't that different), and while he himself is definetly an AS3 'fan', he also puts Adobe on the trial: has Adobe killed multimedia??!!! Then he does a division which is what I think is relevant in this discussion about Director as well: there is the TOOL and there is the LANGUAGE. While AS3 is an enormous improvement over AS2 is in its consequence and strict logic, this is mostly to the benefit of engineers; not designers. While it is fine that for instance ‘buttons’ now is an object like any other, this/it requires a level of abstraction that is irrelevant for the designer. Irellevant, irritating, disturbing; hence counter productive. It is not that designers are stupid, but this is not what they should use their intellectual resources for anyway. Even if conceptually brilliant, you should not need to write five lines of code for simple navigation. The solution (inspired by Moocks article) is not to reintroduce or cling to old ways, but to make things like simple naviagtion available in the TOOL. This division makes sense to me, and I hope it will be possible to keep these things separate when we discuss the future of Director as well. Generally Director has been better off than Flash. Originally our app had plenty of ‘visual programming’, for instance pauses and transitions directly in the Score, but this has been downplayed and not improved upon. In Flash you can’t access individual Layers, while in Director the Sprite is of course identical to the channel/layer, and it’s a good thing. We also have had drag & drop behaviours for simple navigation and such stuff for quite a long time, but again: this needs to be done even better, so that it is obvious that this is the right way and the best way. Do not open a script window – for c&#% sake – for a simple ‘go to’!
                                                                                    Whether Lingo needs imporvement, or be exchanged with something else, is another debate. I like Lingo, and for me it has offered a fine gradual transition into more complex programming. Whether Lingo offers ‘real’ or ‘fake’ OOP is a moot point for +90% users; you don’t use any of that anyway when you make a portifolio disk for a client.
                                                                                    As Moock also states, designing a good ‘tool’ is not an easy task. From what I’ve read about the development team in India, they seem to lack a deep understanding of what Director is and needs to be. I don’t blame them, but if they’re left alone in their development without interplay from a strong reference group of actual users, I’m not too optimisitic on Director’s future. Adobe seems to have killed multimedia – for the time being – by letting Director drift away, and while Flash is gaining popularity and kudos among Java developers et al for AS3, the disperancy between that and the visual environment most people actually is working in is becoming larger; from a crack to a shaft. It's amazing that they're letting this happen.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: sugestions for Director 12
                                                                                      bluelemonade Level 1
                                                                                      hi,

I think a lot of the discussed D12 features are integrated in Xtras. Why should Adobe do this job?

Fore me Adobe should integrate modern Graphic Features, Shaders, DirectX or OpenGL outside the 3D Engine. Why should I have vSync problems on HD screens... Why couldn't I use the Graphics Effects from OSX or DirectX.

A lot of people are using Director for delveloping showrooms , trade fair or any kind of individual multimedia apps. The rest wants an App that plays everywhere. Hmmm Perhaps thats the problem...

regards

1 2 Previous Next