12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 6:28 AM by Giorgio59

single images ICC profile in Indesign

Giorgio59

opening a supplied indesign document, in the links panel, the CMYK images seems not having the ICC profile embedded (but opening them in Photoshop they have it), so the export PDF uses the document profile; how can i have these ICC applied? Please note that RGB images work properly

thanks

• 2. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Frankly, for photographic images, I don't understand Mr. Blatner's reluctance to preserve profiles, and I think the default settings to ignore them are pretty dumb. It just sets you up for never having a good color match.

Sure, CMYK-to-CMYK conversions are less than ideal but it will probably get you a better match than not doing it, and the biggest argument against them -- conversion of 100% K to a four-color mix -- is essentially irrelevant with images.

• 3. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well I wanted to give some reading material until Rob Day makes an appearance.

I'd try to give my explanation, but what works well in my thoughts does not usually translate to written word very well, especially on this subject.

• 4. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your InDesign document's CMYK Color Management policy is set to Off or Preserve Numbers (Ignore Linked Profiles) then the emebedded profiles of any placed files will be ignored and the document CMYK profile will be assigned instead.

The color management policy is save with the document when it is created, so changing your Color Settings policy won't change the document's policy. To change the document's policy choose the policy you want with the document closed, check Ask When Opening, then reopen the document. In that case you be given the option to change the policy.

• 5. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign

and I think the default settings to ignore them are pretty dumb.

But the policy also covers PDFs, AI, and ID placed files, which could easily have large areas of colors that won't do well with a CMYK-to-CMYK conversion.

It's easy to come up with scenerios where either policy is a problem. It wouldn't make much sense to convert Coated Fogra to Coated Gracol because their appearance is almost identical, but it would be really problematic to leave Coated Fogra unchanged in a US Newsprint document.

• 6. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign
                  Giorgio59 Level 1

my problem is that i receive Indesign docs from external suppliers that use images with different ICC profiles (both RGB and CMYK) both for gravure print and web offset print. I have to print them in gravure so i MUST convert tha images optimized for web offset as the inks are completely different. There are no problems of course with RGB files, but i can't afford to relink every single CMYK image setting the colour options during the import (also lot of them are as eps, so there is not the colour option). I can't understand why RGB profiles are keeping and CMYK not.

• 7. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign

I can't understand why RGB profiles are keeping and CMYK not.

You have to change the document's policy to Preserve Embedded or Convert (converts native colors). So set your Color Settings to something like this

Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 10.20.29 AM.png

Then when you open a document with a conflicting policy you'll get the opportunity to change the policy

Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 10.21.26 AM.png

• 8. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign

My 2nd screen wasn't right you'll need to set Placed Content to Enable All Profiles in order to get already placed objects enabled

Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 10.35.36 AM.png

• 9. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign
                        Danny Whitehead. Level 4

The way I see it, is that the only time I'd be likely to have CMYK raster images would be when I wanted to work with particular channels, in which case I'd want those channels preserved. Most of my vector graphics have black elements I want to keep on the black plate, and I'll have different versions for different outputs. I guess it's different if you're working with supplied files from people who still think they have to convert all their raster images to CMYK.

• 10. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign
                          Giorgio59 Level 1

it works, but i should set it as default a si have hundred of docs and i use an automatic workflow to produce the PDFs; is there a way to set that as default or a plug in/script that do that?

thanks

• 11. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign

You won't be able to set a default because the policy is saved with each document so you have to open the doc to make a change. If you are scripting your automated workflow the change could be made during the automation. This AppleScript changes the active document's policy to Preserve Embedded and resets all of the images to use their embedded:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

set d to active document

set CMYK policy of d to preserve embedded profiles

set g to all graphics of d

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in g

try

set profile of item i of g to "Embedded"

end try

end repeat

end tell

This works for images but won't work for files that could have more than one profile—PDF, AI, EPS—to catch those files the script would have to replace the file after the policy has been changed. But then you might have to worry about AI or PDF with black lines or text converting to 4-color blacks, so you might be better off leaving them alone.

• 12. Re: single images ICC profile in Indesign
                              Giorgio59 Level 1

it works perfectly. Really really thanks for all your help