1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 5:22 AM by Anjaneai Srivastava

    RH10 - HTML Compiler Error (Unsupported Character)

    LCarey Level 1

      I'm on RH10, working on a project that I've been working on for several months now, and suddenly I'm having a serious problem. When compile the project as HTML help, I'm receiving the following error message at about 80% complete:

       

      "HTML Help settings has insupported characters for the chosen language. Do you want to continue..."

       

      I've seen a couple of topics in the forums that mention this error, but they seem to be dealing with foreign language settings. In my case, the entire project is in English and does not use any special characters that I know of.

       

      I have WebHelp set as my primary output, but I need to create a CHM file of this project as well.

      WebHelp seems to compile without a problem. I only see this error when I attempt to complie as HTML help.

       

       

      "Warning: The size of stop file has to be limited in 512 bytes.

      Warning: Data loss in converting Index data using choosen language.

       

      C:\AMX Docs\AMX-CDI\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\!chm_tmp_folder_0\AMX-CDI.hhp

      Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702

       

      Compiling c:\AMX Docs\AMX-CDI\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\AMX-CDI.chm

       

      AMX-CDI.hhc

       

      Fatal Error: Unexpected error from Microsoft HTML compiler.

      Finished compiling HTMLHELP in 138 sec(s)

       

      Compilation complete."

       

      I have tried the tried and true trick of deleting the CPD file, but that hasn't changed anything...

      Also tried switching the project language setting from "default" to "English (US)", that didn't affect anything either...

      It seems like RH is trying to deal with foreign language characters, but again I am not aware of any ni my project.

       

      Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

      -lc

        • 1. Re: RH10 - HTML Compiler Error (Unsupported Character)
          Anjaneai Srivastava Adobe Employee

          Hi LC,

           

          First of all, can you please check the file name of all your topics and verify if you have any special character in the file name or not?

           

          Before trying out any of the steps given below, can you try generating your SSL output on a New Folder at C:/ root  (C:/NewFolder) and see if that works, I noticed that in your path you have a special character "-" by the name . (C:\AMX Docs\AMX-CDI\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\!chm_tmp_folder_0\AMX-CDI.hhp)

           

          1)      C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\HTML Help\

          Rename the hh.dat file and then try regeneration of help.

           

          2)      Create a New Folder inside the C: Drive (root) and publish your CHM to this New Folder rather than the default path of project inside !SSL! The key here is the CHM should not be buried under multi-level folder hierarchy.

           

          3)      Try running RoboHelp In Admin Mode – Create a new SSL as Microsoft HTML help, set it as Default SSL and Then Regenerate the output.

           

          4)      Make sure the CHM is not generate on network, as it requires Windows registries to generate the CHM< using Microsoft CHM Engine, it is better that you have admin rights as well as work locally, else you might get a “Failed to Navigate data”

           

          Let me know if that persists.

           

          Thanks,

          Anjaneai