8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 2:19 PM by A.T. Romano

Pixelating photo

Lewjjj6360

When I put a picture in a picture for a movie the second picture will pixelate once it is rendered. Did it a few days ago and was fine but now it keeps pixelating are there presets or something that could have been changed accidentally?

• 1. Re: Pixelating photo
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you post screen capture of what you're seeing?

When you say "rendered" do you mean that you rendered the timeline or that you have output your video as, say, an MP4 and you are still seeing this issue?

Are these "pictures" video or still photos? What is their resolution and what are your project settings?

Which version of the program are you using?

• 2. Re: Pixelating photo
            Lewjjj6360 Level 1

I am using version 12.  I just rendered the timeline.  It has never been exported yet.  these are moving pictures.  property of the images are 920 x1080.  frame rate is 30.  this was all working before and had no issue and then I paid a guy with an online service called omni and they had no idea what they were doing, and after they were on the computer it no longer works. The picture in a picture pixelates as soon as it is rendered.  I do not know what the presets are.  I started it automatically. not sure how to do a screen capture.  it is on a mac operating system.

• 3. Re: Pixelating photo
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Go to Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD and select the YouTube HD preset and output your video.

Play the video in Quicktime Player or, better yet, VLC Media Player.

Are you seeing this same pixelation in this output?

• 4. Re: Pixelating photo
                Lewjjj6360 Level 1

will try this.  wasn’t sure if I mentioned it was not the whole video that was pixelated but just the section where I did a picture in a picture.  the rest of the film is still ok.

• 5. Re: Pixelating photo
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lewjjj6360

You say that your are dealing with video characterized as 1920 x 1080 @ 30 frames per second. Is that interlaced or progressive?

(I am thinking that your 920 x1080 in post 2 was a typing error.)

How did you do your Picture in Picture effect?

a. Did you place one 1920 x 1080 on Video Track 1, the second 1920 x 1080 on Video Track 2 directly above the one on Video Track 1, and then scale down the 1920 x 1080 on Video Track 2 and perhaps repositioned it?

or

b. Did you place one 1920 x 1080 on Video Track 1, another on Video Track 2 directly above that, and then drag one of the PiP presets from fx Effect/Presets/PiPs into the 1920 x 1080 on Video Track 2.

What is your project preset for this project?

Are the details of the source files or the steps other than what I have written? Either way a scale down was be expected rather than a scale up which might result in pixelation.

Thoughts for consideration. We will look forward to your reply after you have answered SG's current questions and requests for information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Pixelating photo
                    Lewjjj6360 Level 1

I did not use a preset.  Scenario a is the process I used.  The picture does not have distortion when I play it without rendering it.  I did export it and replayed it on the same computer and the pixelation still occurred.  I just burned a dvd and played it on a HD TV and 95% of the pixelation seemed to go away.    I do not understand the question about interlaced or progressive.  I have seen pixelation when a picture is enlarged beyond its quality, but this process pixelates both the picture in picture in video 2 and the unaltered picture in video  1.  Both video files play perfectly in either timeline slot before the video in video 2 is shrunk and tipped to fit the intended position in video one.  I hope that makes sense.  Thanks for responding.

• 7. Re: Pixelating photo
                      Lewjjj6360 Level 1

I see the same pixelation in that segment along with some other segments.  I did burn a dvd in widescreen format and watched it on a HD TV and most all the pixelation is gone. That seems counterintuitive for pixelation of pictures. I also read an article that you wrote about working with large project and editing them in segments.  That was a great help.  The program doesn’t seize up or block out new assets being applied once the big project is split into multiple smaller segments.

• 8. Re: Pixelating photo
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Lewjjj6360

Thanks for the reply.

You wrote to SG that the approach of working a large project in smaller segments was a help.

Did it get rid of the pixelation to which you refer when you render the picture in picture (which is really a video in video)?

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of what your monitor is displaying for the rendered picture in picture so that we can take a closer look at this pixelation?

Thanks.

ATR