4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 11:30 PM by Mjajaa

why paintstroke doubles making mask layer

Mjajaa

Photoshop cs5

When I am painting a mask layer white /or black in part of a image,

I cant get it to just paint one time.

That means when I raise my finger from the mouse and want to continue painting the mask - it create a kind of double stroke

if I hit and area I have been painting before.

In this way it is impossibel to make a precise mask.

I cant come up with what I am doing wrong.

First I -make I new layer - invert the mask - choose brush - using X changing white/black -

Hope some one have and Idea what it could be ?

thankyou.

• 1. Re: why paintstroke doubles making mask layer
          DrStrik9 Level 4

This happened to me once after I spilled some tea on my keyboard. I had to replace the keyboard.

One idea: check mouse and keyboard connections.

It might be a faulty keyboard, or faulty mouse, or faulty connection of either keyboard or mouse to the computer. -- (It almost sounds like you're holding down the shift-key between strokes.)

Also, if you're using a usb hub between keyboard and/or mouse and computer, only plug keyboard and mouse directly into the compuuter.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: why paintstroke doubles making mask layer
            Mjajaa Level 1

Thank you

But I don`t think that is the reason there -

It comes both on the touchpad on mac book pro and with the brand new magic mouse

(I also think I once tried the same problem with another computer). No other problems.

Look at the image - maybee that is easier than understanding than my english.

There is the strokes -

mask.jpg

• 3. Re: why paintstroke doubles making mask layer
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Is this happening all the time and with different (all) images?  I've not heard of it before, but it is the sort of glitch that might be fixed by resetting Preferences.  I think you said you are using a Mac ,so hold down Shift Opt Cmd while starting Photoshop. 

If that doesn't fix it, come back.

Is it a desktop or laptop?  If the latter, then maybe to do with the touch pad.  If the errant line appears straight and parallel from the first, then possibly the Shift key is sticky.

Is it a wireless keyboard?  If yes, do you have a plain vanilla keyboard you can try (one that doesn't have features that need a driver to load)

Do you have a tablet?  Try disconnecting it, or moving (well) away from computer if wireless)

That's enough to be getting on with.

• 4. Re: why paintstroke doubles making mask layer
                Mjajaa Level 1

Thank you for the answer. Great

I hold down Shift Opt Cmd while starting Photoshop - and got the question about resetting - yes

So now it is working.