5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 10:32 AM by A.T. Romano

Exporting an mpeg file

OldLehrer Level 1

I made a ten minute video.

Using "computer" I tried to pubvlish it as an mpeg file.

It INSISTS on exporting not only the 10 minute movie but also 50 minutes of black space after it.

How in **** do I export just the movie I created and nothing else?

PS - Adobe has about the worse help and troubleshooting assistance I am encountered in a long time.

• 1. Re: Exporting an mpeg file
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Timeline too long (orphans) http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652216?tstart=30

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

-has links to the FAQ/TIPS pages

• 2. Re: Exporting an mpeg file
            A.T. Romano Level 7

OldLehrer

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

We might want to go over the set up of project preset based on your source media, your editing, and export choice, but for now I am jumping over all that, assuming all is OK.

For what you described as your video project problem....

1. In the opened project, go to the Timeline Edit workspace, and expand the Timeline with the -+ slider over the Timeline.

2. Press the End key of the computer main keyboard. That will take the Timeline Indicator to the end that the program is calling the end probably due to "something" leftover at that location.

3. Look for leftovers, fragments in that area. Typically they present as very thin vertical black lines scattered in the track contents. Delete them.

4. Then hit the End key again to make sure that now the Timeline Indicator stops at the "real" end of your Timeline content.

Any problems with that scenario, please do not hesitate to let us know. We will clarify anything that you feel needs clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Exporting an mpeg file
              OldLehrer Level 1

Couldn’t locate my original post online so I hope you get this - just want to give you a big THANK YOU. When you are right you are right. I did look for orphans originally but couldn’t see any, but after a third try highlighting sections along the unused timeline I finally hit this object that looked like a thin line, very thin, probably one pixel wide. I have no idea when it came from, obviously chopped off of something else, but once I deleted it all was well. Very frustrating experience however. Can’t tell you the house I wasted with this - but a lesson has been learned! Thank you again.

• 4. Re: Exporting an mpeg file
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OldLehrer,

Glad that you located your "orphan(s)." They CAN be tough to spot.

For some of the causes of orphans, this Tips & Tricks article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2887552#2887552

Good luck, and happy editing.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Exporting an mpeg file
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

OldLehrer

Great, great news. Great job in finding the leftover, especially since they are often so small that it is very difficult to spot them even with the Timeline expanded.

Thank you for the follow up. It is very much appreciated.

Continued success.

ATR