0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 3:25 PM by lapneto

Importing data from third party file with specific layout

lapneto

Hello everyone,

I have been searching the forum and googling for help on this but so far no success.

The issue I have is the following:

- I need my client to provide data to me in 2 different dates (Date 1 and Date 2), for example, a bank account balance;

- He has already provided me with data for "Date 1" in the previous year and this information is stored in a file, generated by a government software;

- I have the file layout provided by the government, establishing the location and number of characters where the information is stored (e.g. need to import characters 4-12 of a specific line in the file);

- I need to be able to read from this file and pre-populate field "Date 1" with the amounts informed previously;

- I will then send a PDF form for him to update the "Date 2" field, using the amount in "Date 1" as a reference.

Is there any way I can do this?

I like researching and do this as a hobby, therefore I don't expect to receive pieces of code already prepared - I would just appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction here, as my coding skills are from a guy interested in learning things.

Many thanks in advance for all the help.

P.S.: the government software can generate a .PDF file and the data I need is reported there, just in case it is easier to work with a PDF file instead.