12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2007 1:02 PM by Newsgroup_User

Any way to set default Save Settings? Fireworks CS3

RichieDee
      Everytime I scan a picture and hit "Save As", then default file type to save is JPG and at 48%.

Can I set the default to be PNG in the dropdown?

Thanks!
      Rich
        • 1. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings?
          Level 7
          RichieDee wrote:
          > Everytime I scan a picture and hit "Save As", then default file type to save is JPG and at 48%.
          >
          > Can I set the default to be PNG in the dropdown?

Fireworks remembers the format the photo was loaded in and doesn't
          change it. In order for an image to be saved in editable PNG format, it
          needs to be saved in that format. Once you've done that, it will save as
          a PNG file until you export it again.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings?
            Level 7
            Is there some duality associated with a FW PNG (layered and with
            effects) or a flattened PNG (usually obtained by using Export options)?

Linda Rathgeber wrote:
            > RichieDee wrote:
            >> Everytime I scan a picture and hit "Save As", then default file type
            >> to save is JPG and at 48%.
            >>
            >> Can I set the default to be PNG in the dropdown?
            >
            > Fireworks remembers the format the photo was loaded in and doesn't
            > change it. In order for an image to be saved in editable PNG format, it
            > needs to be saved in that format. Once you've done that, it will save as
            > a PNG file until you export it again.
            >
            • 3. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings?
              Level 7
              deebs wrote:
              > Is there some duality associated with a FW PNG (layered and with
              > effects) or a flattened PNG (usually obtained by using Export options)?

Well, a flattened one is no longer editable, and I wouldn't recommend
              using an editable one on a website because of the larger file size.

--
              • 4. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings?
                Level 7
                deebs wrote:
                > Is there some duality associated with a FW PNG (layered and with
                > effects) or a flattened PNG (usually obtained by using Export options)?

What do you mean by duality?

--
                Stéphane Bergeron
                reach : connect : communicate
                http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                http://www.pixelyzed.com
                • 5. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings?
                  Level 7
                  Gosh! That is a good question!

OK FW saves out as PNGs - a standard file spec whereas other apps
                  including FW can also export in PNG as well.

So in FW one may have a multilayered, multi-paged or multi-framed PNG
                  (or a combination of all three :) ) or a simple flattened PNG.

Therein lies a duality.

Stéphane Bergeron wrote:
                  > deebs wrote:
                  >> Is there some duality associated with a FW PNG (layered and with
                  >> effects) or a flattened PNG (usually obtained by using Export options)?
                  >
                  > What do you mean by duality?
                  >
                  • 6. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings?
                    Level 7
                    deebs wrote:
                    > Gosh! That is a good question!
                    >
                    > OK FW saves out as PNGs - a standard file spec whereas other apps
                    > including FW can also export in PNG as well.
                    >
                    > So in FW one may have a multilayered, multi-paged or multi-framed PNG
                    > (or a combination of all three :) ) or a simple flattened PNG.

Yep, one can have bot kinds indeed... And I still think it was a bad
                    idea on Macromedia's part to use PNG as its native file format. All
                    other graphic apps out there have their own native, editable file format
                    which cannot be mistaken for any of the exported file formats they can
                    export.

I even posted a rant about that very issue on my blog a few days ago:

http://www.pixelyzed.com/pixellog/index.cfm/2007/12/1/To-Ping-or-not-to-Ping

--
                    Stéphane Bergeron
                    reach:connect:communicate
                    www.webfocusdesign.com
                    blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                    www.pixelyzed.com
                    • 7. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings?
                      Level 7
                      It is a great file format though but yeh...

Stéphane Bergeron wrote:
                      > deebs wrote:
                      >> Gosh! That is a good question!
                      >>
                      >> OK FW saves out as PNGs - a standard file spec whereas other apps
                      >> including FW can also export in PNG as well.
                      >>
                      >> So in FW one may have a multilayered, multi-paged or multi-framed PNG
                      >> (or a combination of all three :) ) or a simple flattened PNG.
                      >
                      > Yep, one can have bot kinds indeed... And I still think it was a bad
                      > idea on Macromedia's part to use PNG as its native file format. All
                      > other graphic apps out there have their own native, editable file format
                      > which cannot be mistaken for any of the exported file formats they can
                      > export.
                      >
                      > I even posted a rant about that very issue on my blog a few days ago:
                      >
                      > http://www.pixelyzed.com/pixellog/index.cfm/2007/12/1/To-Ping-or-not-to-Ping
                      >
                      >
                      • 8. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings?
                        Level 7
                        deebs wrote:
                        > It is a great file format though but yeh...

It's great as an end format to put on Web sites and the like. It offers
                        no real advantages *within* a graphic design application and has
                        significant drawbacks in that role.

--
                        Stéphane Bergeron
                        reach : connect : communicate
                        http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                        blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                        http://www.pixelyzed.com
                        • 9. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings?
                          Level 7
                          I don't think iTunes does PNG very well.

Stéphane Bergeron wrote:
                          > deebs wrote:
                          >> It is a great file format though but yeh...
                          >
                          > It's great as an end format to put on Web sites and the like. It offers
                          > no real advantages *within* a graphic design application and has
                          > significant drawbacks in that role.
                          >
                          • 10. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings? Fireworks CS3
                            Christian3D
                            [quote]Yep, one can have bot kinds indeed... And I still think it was a bad
                            idea on Macromedia's part to use PNG as its native file format. All
                            other graphic apps out there have their own native, editable file format
                            which cannot be mistaken for any of the exported file formats they can
                            export.[/quote]

The png format was originally supposed to be a image file that could remain editable and could take advantage of transparencies, as well as vector resizing. Because of the file size, and bandwidth limitations, and poor browser support, this intention of the png format never came to light. IMO it was brilliant of Macromedia to see the possibilities and make it the format that they chose to work with, unfortunately its true advantages just never had a chance.

None the less with more and more browsers starting to support pngs, it is a great alternative to gifs for transparency. And it works really well (though sitll a bit large) in applications like Flex.

Christian ACE.

• 11. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings? Fireworks CS3
                              Level 7
                              Christian3D wrote:

> None the less with more and more browsers starting to support pngs, it is a
                              > great alternative to gifs for transparency. And it works really well (though
                              > sitll a bit large) in applications like Flex.

Exported PNG files are usually smaller than GIF files.

--
                              • 12. Re: Any way to set default Save Settings? Fireworks CS3
                                Level 7
                                Christian3D wrote:
                                > The png format was originally supposed to be a image file that could
                                > remain editable and could take advantage of transparencies, as well
                                > as vector resizing.

Actually, the plain PNG file format is a pure raster/bitmap image
                                format. The vectors in Fireworks were added to the proprietary data
                                chunk that can be added to a PNG file. There's no intrinsic vector
                                support in the PNG format. The open vector format for the Web was
                                supposed to be the SVG format which still has little to no support.

> Because of the file size, and bandwidth limitations, and poor browser
                                > support, this intention of the png format never came to light.

The advantages of the PNG format as an end format for Web sites are
                                still as real as ever: being able to embed a color profile, full alpha
                                transparency, adaptive lossless compression that handles what GIF and
                                JPGs traditionally did equally well in one file at usually smaller sizes
                                than either of them. All of that still holds true more than ever,
                                especially now that IE7 finally handles transparency. But none of that
                                is even remotely relevant to Fireworks.

It's that use of the format as a native editable format I question and I
                                still think it was a bad idea if only for how confusing it is for new users.

> IMO it was brilliant of Macromedia to see the possibilities and make
                                > it the format that they chose to work with, unfortunately its true
                                > advantages just never had a chance.
                                >
                                > None the less with more and more browsers starting to support pngs,
                                > it is a great alternative to gifs for transparency. And it works
                                > really well (though sitll a bit large) in applications like Flex.

Browser support and usage as a native file format within a graphics
                                application are two non-related and completely different things. The
                                browser limitations of PNG never affected its behavior within Fireworks
                                where it matters to Fireworks users. Being able to preview one's native
                                file in a browser is only a marginally useful side-effect of using the
                                PNG format and the only one anyone seems to be able to come up with.

No one expects a PSD or an AI file to be preview-able in a browser. Why
                                would that be so important for Fireworks? The PNG format might be open
                                but the proprietary data Fireworks uses to save its native data is not.
                                Again, what's the point? What's the advantage? Where's the brilliance?

You would not use a native FW PNG file on a Web site or a Flex app that
                                is bloated Hey! I can see what my site comp looks like in my browser.
                                Big deal...by Fireworks' proprietary data. You would use an exported
                                one. What's the big deal with Fireworks using the PNG file format for
                                its native files then? What is the advantage over an entirely
                                proprietary format like PSD, AI or INDD? To me, there is none. The only
                                "open" part of the PNGs Fireworks saves is the bitmap preview part. The
                                rest is a closed proprietary format just like a PSD or AI file. But wow!
                                I can see what my native FW file looks like in my browser! Big deal...

Sorry for the sarcasm but when people are loosing work I have to
                                question why the choice was made to use the same format and file
                                extension for a graphic app's editable files as one of its main flattened
                                exported ones. I see none, none whatsoever. What is really worth it
                                then? Not to me, not by any stretch of the imagination.

--
                                Stéphane Bergeron
                                reach:connect:communicate
                                www.webfocusdesign.com
                                blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                                www.pixelyzed.com