9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2007 6:56 PM by Newsgroup_User

Director created EXE crashes in Vista

Ja-rod
      I have created a Director projector using Director MX 2004. The program works fine in Windows XP, but when run on Windows Vista, it will crash in certain areas. All of my Xtra's are registered. Is the problem due to a compatability issue with Director and Vista? Will the issue go away once the newest version of Director is released and I recompile my code on it?

Thanks,
      Jared
        • 1. Re: Director created EXE crashes in Vista
          Level 7
          > Is the problem due to a compatability
          > issue with Director and Vista? Will the issue go away once the newest version
          > of Director is released and I recompile my code on it?

No-one can answer those questions. There is no fundamental difference
          between Vista and XP other than UAC and Aero, so if it works on XP it
          should also work on Vista.

Does it crash in the same place/s consistently? Does the app just
          vanish, or is there an error dialog posted? If the latter, what does the
          error message say, or does it identify a "module" that threw the error?
          • 2. Re: Director created EXE crashes in Vista
            Level 7
            Since you have not given us any real information about what the problem
            is, we can only guess. But the main difference that I have found with
            running projectors on Vista is the security model. Normal users do not
            have access to write to common locations, like program files or the
            HKEY_local_machine hive of the registry. The biggest issue I have had
            with Vista not running my programs has been places where I was trying to
            write to something that Vista would not let me write to. If that is the
            case, you need to rework your program in such a way that it reads/writes
            to the appropriate places. This sort of issue would not be fixed simply
            by using a different version of Director. You need to identify the
            problem and fix it.
            • 3. Re: Director created EXE crashes in Vista
              Level 7
              > There is no fundamental difference between Vista and XP other than UAC and
              > Aero
              That's not really accurate. Many parts of the core have been redesigned in
              Vista. Personally, I've found at least one system function (memory related)
              that is less tolerant in the new OS. Meaning that, code that didn't go by
              the book may lead to crashes or erroneous results when run on Vista. I'd
              suggest you try testing each Xtra you are using separately, cause there is a
              good chance that one of them is causing the problem.

"Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fj497q$n8l$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> Is the problem due to a compatability issue with Director and Vista?
              >> Will the issue go away once the newest version of Director is released
              >> and I recompile my code on it?
              >
              > No-one can answer those questions. There is no fundamental difference
              > between Vista and XP other than UAC and Aero, so if it works on XP it
              > should also work on Vista.
              >
              > Does it crash in the same place/s consistently? Does the app just vanish,
              > or is there an error dialog posted? If the latter, what does the error
              > message say, or does it identify a "module" that threw the error?

• 4. Re: Director created EXE crashes in Vista
                Ja-rod Level 1
                The program does crash in Windows Vista in the same place consistently at multiple locations. It once did not crash at a location that normally crashes which was odd. Yet the same areas work fine in Windows XP.

I am not writing anything to the harddrive. The program is a children's safety program. Children and adults simply navigate through the program, menus, answer questions (which are not saved) and watch video or interact with the environment. Video is either mpg, which I have the MPG Advance Xtra or using a swf. The code for an instance where the program is crashing is:

on exitFrame me

cursor 200
                global gPause
                global gFinished
                global gFreeze

if gPause = 0 then -- the home button has not been touched
                if sprite(4).playing then
                go to the frame
                else
                set gFinished = 1
                go "Scene_117"
                end if
                else -- the home button has been touched
                go to the frame
                end if
                end

The error I get is something of the nature of "Director projector has to close". Any help and direction will be greatly appretiated.
                • 5. Re: Director created EXE crashes in Vista
                  Level 7
                  Ja-rod wrote:
                  > The program does crash in Windows Vista in the same place
                  > consistently at multiple locations. It once did not crash at
                  > a location that normally crashes which was odd. Yet the same areas
                  > work fine in Windows XP.
                  >
                  > I am not writing anything to the harddrive. The program is a
                  > children's safety program. Children and adults simply navigate
                  > through the program, menus, answer questions (which are not saved)
                  > and watch video or interact with the environment. Video is either
                  > mpg, which I have the MPG Advance Xtra or using a swf. The code for
                  > an instance where the program is crashing is:
                  >
                  > on exitFrame me
                  >
                  > cursor 200

Just for a test, comment out the cursor command (you don't really need to
                  set the system cursor thirty times a second, do you?).

Andrew

• 6. Re: Director created EXE crashes in Vista
                    Level 7
                    A video is playing while you are navigating to another frame?
                    If so, can you test your movie with only swf files, and then only with mpgs?

"Ja-rod" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:fj6c82$6aj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > The program does crash in Windows Vista in the same place consistently at
                    > multiple locations. It once did not crash at a location that
                    > normally
                    > crashes which was odd. Yet the same areas work fine in Windows XP.
                    >
                    > I am not writing anything to the harddrive. The program is a children's
                    > safety program. Children and adults simply navigate through the program,
                    > menus, answer questions (which are not saved) and watch video or interact
                    > with
                    > the environment. Video is either mpg, which I have the MPG Advance Xtra
                    > or
                    > using a swf. The code for an instance where the program is crashing is:
                    >
                    > on exitFrame me
                    >
                    > cursor 200
                    > global gPause
                    > global gFinished
                    > global gFreeze
                    >
                    > if gPause = 0 then -- the home button has not been touched
                    > if sprite(4).playing then
                    > go to the frame
                    > else
                    > set gFinished = 1
                    > go "Scene_117"
                    > end if
                    > else -- the home button has been touched
                    > go to the frame
                    > end if
                    > end
                    >
                    > The error I get is something of the nature of "Director projector has to
                    > close". Any help and direction will be greatly appretiated.
                    >

• 7. Re: Director created EXE crashes in Vista
                      Ja-rod Level 1
                      Right now we cannot change the file types because the person who works on the video is out. On the code that I wrote, after the swf ends, the program goes to the next frame where the mpg begins playing. It is that area where the program crashes and the one time it did not crash. This only happens in Windows Vista.
                      • 8. Re: Director created EXE crashes in Vista
                        Ja-rod Level 1
                        I looked at removing the cursor 200. I need that because I have an image that shows on top of my cursor.

I also modified the code slightly and I also updated my flash player and shockwave player (which I shouldn't have to because I set my Player type to Standard). It seemed to get past the spot it crashes, then later on it crashed.

Why is Windows Vista so difficult to work with? The EXE is only 4 MB. My support files, in total, are over 500 MB, but I'm using only a few files at a time. In XP everything works fine. I bring it to Vista and boom, it explodes. If my code is correct, and the Xtra's are working, what then could be the cause?

Please help.

Thanks.
                        • 9. Re: Director created EXE crashes in Vista
                          Level 7
                          > If my code is correct, and the Xtra's are working, what then could be the
                          > cause?
                          Since the crash occurs when starting a video, then it probably has to do
                          with the xtra you are using for playback. Try creating a new movie,
                          containing an empty frame, then a frame that includes a video. On the second
                          frame, send your playback head back to the empty frame (loop between frames
                          one and two), publish and check.

"Ja-rod" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:fj74ne$4k9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >I looked at removing the cursor 200. I need that because I have an image
                          >that
                          > shows on top of my cursor.
                          >
                          > I also modified the code slightly and I also updated my flash player and
                          > shockwave player (which I shouldn't have to because I set my Player type
                          > to
                          > Standard). It seemed to get past the spot it crashes, then later on it
                          > crashed.
                          >
                          > Why is Windows Vista so difficult to work with? The EXE is only 4 MB. My
                          > support files, in total, are over 500 MB, but I'm using only a few files
                          > at a
                          > time. In XP everything works fine. I bring it to Vista and boom, it
                          > explodes.
                          > If my code is correct, and the Xtra's are working, what then could be the
                          > cause?
                          >
                          > Please help.
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >