1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 1:36 AM by sjpt

Changing 'anonymous' authorisation

aspergian

Hi, I purchased DRMed ebooks from an online reseller, but authorised them 'anonymously' as I could not recall my user ID at the time.

Hence, now I am unable to access these ebooks on my tablet, but can access them only on my pc. 

Somewhere on your forums, someone suggested deactivating my pc, which I did.  Now I have lost access to all these DRMed ebooks even on my pc.

How do I get access to these ebooks again, or change the authorisation on these 'anonymous' ebooks. 

Also, is it possible to consolidate 2 or more Adobe user IDs?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Changing 'anonymous' authorisation
          sjpt Level 4

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to regain access to those books you own.

You can try contacting the original vendors and seeing if they can help.

I'm pretty sure that reauthorizing the same device anonymously will give a different anonymous ID.

General comment below, but I am afraid it won't be helpful.

There is comment about merging accounts at http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/volume-licensing-site.html

but I'm not sure they are talking about standard domestic user accounts or not.

Good luck.

~~~~

This is a vicious trap that Adobe lays for unsuspecting customers.

They do give very mild warnings, but not nearly strong enough.

When you register 'without ID', ADE creates an anonymous/implicit ID with limited powers (eg can't be used to share with other devices).

Whenever you first load a DRM book, that copy of the book is associated with whatever ID the computer is registered to at the time.

Any book you load while this anonymous ID is active gets associated with that ID, and can't be read on any other device.

When you properly register your computer with a real ID, that old anonymous ID is lost.

Now you don't have any devices that can read the book.

The only way I know round this is to use a DRM stripper such as epubee BEFORE you deauthorize the device.

I do NOT advocate using such code to get around the valid limitations placed on a DRM book.

However, where the problem arises only because of the ineptness of Adobe's ADEPT DRM infrastructure and its implementation,

such a measure is totally justifiable.

I'm pretty sure that reauthorizing the same device anonymously will give a different anonymous ID.