7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2014 10:14 PM by bainst RSS

Why does text paste as small caps?

wkjeiwoi Community Member

I have no style that uses small caps, but just pasted copy which is conventional upper/lower, and InDesign displayed it as small caps.

what could cause this?

Thank you!

w

• 1. Re: Why does text paste as small caps?
          Migintosh Community Member

wkjeiwoi wrote:

I have no style that uses small caps…

It doesn't necessarily have to be a style. It could be a local override.

1. Are you pasting from InDesign or another program?
          2. Are you pasting into an existing text frame? If so, check that the cursor insert point isn't already set for small caps.
          3. Are you creating the text frame by pasting? If so, check to see if the text default is set for small caps—probably as a local override. The text default is set or changed if you make a change to any text parameters while no text frame is selected.
          • 2. Re: Why does text paste as small caps?
            Eugene Tyson MVP

Could be an open type alternative.

Highlight the text

Character Panel (Window>Type & Tables>Character)

Sub menu top right

Open Type drop down list

Anything in [ ] is unavailable as an open type feature.

Anything not within the square brackets is available.

If there's a tick mark beside something then switch it off.

• 3. Re: Why does text paste as small caps?
              wkjeiwoi Community Member

copied from Text edit, pasted into a text frame newly created in InDesign.

• 4. Re: Why does text paste as small caps?
                Eugene Tyson MVP

Make sure that small caps is not already selected in the Control Panel (top of screen under File, Edit etc.)

Select the Text tool.

The Control Panel will change to the Text options, ensure that the small caps icon is not active.

• 5. Re: Why does text paste as small caps?
                  bainst Community Member

I have the same problem. The solutions presented here do not work. I am copying and pasting from Google Chrome into CS 5.5.

• 6. Re: Why does text paste as small caps?
                    Migintosh Community Member

It is possible to copy from TextEdit and paste text into InDesign that carries the formatting that TextEdit has. If you want to copy/paste from TextEdit and not bring anything except the keystrokes, go to the Format menu in TextEdit and select Make Plain Text (or Command T for the shortcut). When you paste text from a plain text document, it will only paste the keystrokes, and all of the text attributes will come from what ever is assigned to the cursor in InDesign. Those parameters will depend a few different things in InDesign. I can elaborate on that if you like. Just let me know.

• 7. Re: Why does text paste as small caps?
                      bainst Community Member

Would you have a suggestion for the problem via Google Chrome (not TextEdit)?