3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 5:58 PM by fxxxish

Is Edge Animate intended to replace Flash?

John Arthur

Is Edge Animate intended to replace Flash?  I have worked with Flash for almost 15 years and love it, what is its future?

• 1. Re: Is Edge Animate intended to replace Flash?
          ristenk82

That is the impression that I get. My coworkers and I think yes.

• 2. Re: Is Edge Animate intended to replace Flash?
            Hacky Loves Libby

With Apple rejecting mobile support for Flash and Apple's dominance in those markets, I believe Edge is Adobe's attempt to stay relevant in areas where Flash is not  (HTML5, JQuery the new web darlings). As far as Flash's future it's an open question,  I don't think it's predicament is Adobe's fault, but end users that use it primarily for it's animation/video prowess,which it's great at. Few use it's ability to marry the former with it's  ability to retrieve and serve data as another part of an interactive banner, for example. Plus the tablet market is in flux. Apple is still the dominant player but it's market share is slipping (most other tablets support flash), at least in the recent fiscal quarters. I have worked on a two large jobs in which this situation was ignored and upon completion the reality set in and I'm sorry to say, heads rolled. They didn't listen to the market, which Adobe is doing or heging. That's my two cents.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is Edge Animate intended to replace Flash?
              fxxxish

in my opinion, flash will still take a place in making cartoons , while edge will focus on dynamic interaction.