9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 11:49 AM by William Ames

Photoshop CC crashes each time I try to save.

Jclinard2359

I updated to Photoshop CC now I cannot save an image without Photoshop crashing.  Has anyone else had this issue? I've used Photoshop on my PC for several years, and the creative cloud for about a year without any issues at all. 

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC crashes each time I try to save.
          Curt Y Level 7

If it worked befoe try reseting preferences.  Start PS and immediately hold down ctrl/alt/shift keys.  If fast enough you should get a reset window.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC crashes each time I try to save.
            Jclinard2359 Level 1

I actually had the previous version of Photoshop (subscription) and just updated to the new Photoshop CC via the cloud.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC crashes each time I try to save.
              Curt Y Level 7

Do you have latest version?  Help/updates.  The download starts at ground zero.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC crashes each time I try to save.
                Noel Carboni Level 8

You really should check your System event log as well, to ensure you're not starting to have hardware problems with your disks.  If you are, you should strive to ensure your data is safe before you do anything else, and ESPECIALLY before stressing your disks.  Some people advise doing diagnostics; I've seen hardware on the edge utterly fail under the stress of testing.

Good luck.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC crashes each time I try to save.
                  William Ames Level 1

Me too...I'm at wits end.

Photoshop CC crashes whenever it feels like it, usually when performing a save or applying some sort of filter or pasting a layer or using the paintbrush or whenever it's Tuseday. It sometimes gives weird errors like "there was a program error", yeah, no kidding. Sometimes it takes down my entire system, sometimes not. Sometimes it won't let me save a file, but I can copy and paste the image to a new document and it'll save. Bottom line is that I can't trust this software, because it's costing me hundreds of dollars in lost revenues.

I think this might have something to do with the fact that I am bound to an Active Directory for login, and it's listed as a "mobile account" ...I suspect this because I've had issues with permissions on previous versions, CS5, most notably, and this sounds like it might be related...maybe not. I don't know. I shouldn't have to troubleshoot software I pay thousands of dollars for.

My system is an early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 with a Radeon HD5770 video card, running OS X 10.8.5 on 8GB of RAM.

I have never had so many problems with a piece of Adobe software.

Log file created on Tue Feb 04 2014 10:55:10 GMT-0500 (EST)

[init] Package generator-core v2.0.0

[init] No Git repository found

[init] Node.js version: {"http_parser":"1.0","node":"0.10.21","v8":"3.14.5.9","ares":"1.9.0-DEV","uv":"0.10.18"," zlib":"1.2.3","modules":"11","openssl":"1.0.1e"}

[init] OS: Darwin 12.5.0 (x64), platform: darwin

[init] unparsed command line: ["/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Photoshop-node","/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/Required/Generator-builtin","-i","43","-o","46","--launchreason","alwayso n","-f","/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/Required/Plug-Ins/Generator/","-f","/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Generator/"]

[init] parsed command line: {"_":[],"$0":"/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Photoshop-node /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/Required/Generator-builtin","i":43,"input":43,"o":46,"output":46,"launchr eason":"alwayson","r":"alwayson","f":["/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/Required/Plug-Ins/Generator/","/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Generator/"],"pluginfolder":["/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/Required/Plug-Ins/Generator/","/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Generator/"],"m":null,"menu":null,"p":49494,"port":49494,"h":"localhost","hos t":"localhost","P":"password","password":"password"}

opening input pipe 43 and output pipe 46

[init] Generator started!

Scanning for plugins in /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/Required/Plug-Ins/Generator

Scanning for plugins in /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Generator

[1;31mPotential problem with plugin at '/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Generator/reflow.generate': Warning: Plugin 'reflow-generator' did not specify which versions of generator-core it is compatible with. It will be loaded anyway, but providing generator-core-version in its package.json is recommended.

[0mProcessing plugin set: [{"path":"/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/Required/Plug-Ins/Generator/assets.generate","metadata":{"name":"generato r-assets","version":"1.0.1","description":"Asset generation plug-in for Photoshop Generator","main":"main.js","generator-core-version":"~2","repository":{"type":"git","url ":"https://github.com/adobe-photoshop/generator-assets"},"license":"MIT","readmeFilename":"README.md","scripts":{"test":"grunt test"},"dependencies":{"mkdirp":"~0.3.5","q":"0.9.6","tmp":"~0.0.20"},"devDependencies":{ "grunt":"~0.4.1","grunt-contrib-jshint":"~0.5.4","nodeunit":"~0.8.1","grunt-contrib-nodeun it":"~0.2.0"}}}]

Loading plugin "generator-assets" from directory "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/Required/Plug-Ins/Generator/assets.generate"

[generator-assets] Package generator-assets v1.0.1

[generator-assets] No Git repository found

initializing generator-assets plugin with config {}

Subscribing to photoshop event generatorMenuChanged

Plugin loaded: generator-assets

Processing plugin set: [{"path":"/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Generator/reflow.generate","metadata":{"name":"reflow-generator","version":"0 .0.9","description":"Reflow Generator Plugin","main":"main.js","repository":{"type":"git","url":"git@git.corp.adobe.com:edge/reflow-generator.git"},"scripts":{"test":"./node_modules/.bin/nodeunit test"},"license":"Copyright Adobe Systems Incorporated 2013","readmeFilename":"README","dependencies":{"websocket":"~1.0.8","q":"~0.9.3","mkdirp ":"~0.3.5","buffer-crc32":"~0.2.1","tmp":"~0.0.20"},"devDependencies":{"grunt":"~0.4.1","g runt-contrib-jshint":"~0.5.4","sinon":"","grunt-contrib-nodeunit":"","grunt-contrib-watch" :"","nodeunit":"~0.7.4"}}}]

[1;31mWarning: Plugin 'reflow-generator' did not specify which versions of generator-core it is compatible with. It will be loaded anyway, but providing generator-core-version in its package.json is recommended.

[0mLoading plugin "reflow-generator" from directory "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Generator/reflow.generate"

[reflow-generator] Package reflow-generator v0.0.9

[reflow-generator] No Git repository found

[1;31mWarning: Native modules not compiled.  XOR performance will be degraded.

[0m [1;31mWarning: Native modules not compiled.  UTF-8 validation disabled.

[0mEmitting Photoshop event: [ 'PHOTOSHOP-EVENT-reflow.debug.init', 'Started reflow plugin' ]

Plugin loaded: reflow-generator

Generator initialized

Subscribing to photoshop event currentDocumentChanged

[1;31mWarning: unable to parse JavaScript message response '/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC' as JSON. Error: SyntaxError: Unexpected token /

[0mPhotoshop message: {"id":1,"body":"/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC"}

Photoshop path:  /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC

Photoshop message: {"id":2,"body":"[ActionDescriptor]"}

Menu created assets

Photoshop message: {"id":3,"body":"[ActionDescriptor]"}

Finished subscribe to photoshop event generatorMenuChanged

[1;31mWarning: unable to parse JavaScript message response 'en_US' as JSON. Error: SyntaxError: Unexpected token e

[0mPhotoshop message: {"id":4,"body":"en_US"}

Photoshop message: {"id":5,"body":"[ActionDescriptor]"}

Finished subscribe to photoshop event currentDocumentChanged

[1;31mWarning: unable to parse JavaScript message response '/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC' as JSON. Error: SyntaxError: Unexpected token /

[0mPhotoshop message: {"id":6,"body":"/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC"}

Subscribing to photoshop event imageChanged

Determining the current document ID

Getting document info with these params: {"flags":{"compInfo":true,"imageInfo":true,"layerInfo":true,"expandSmartObjects":false,"g etTextStyles":true,"selectedLayers":false,"getCompSettings":true}}

Photoshop message: {"id":7,"body":"[ActionDescriptor]"}

Emitting Photoshop event: [ 'PHOTOSHOP-EVENT-reflow.info.menuCreated', 'reflow' ]

Subscribing to photoshop event generatorMenuChanged

Finished subscribe to photoshop event generatorMenuChanged

Subscribing to photoshop event imageChanged

Getting document info with these params: {"documentId":null,"flags":{"compInfo":false,"imageInfo":false,"layerInfo":false,"expandS martObjects":false,"getTextStyles":false,"selectedLayers":false,"getCompSettings":false}}

Tue Feb 04 2014 10:55:11 GMT-0500 (EST) Server is listening on port 8010

Finished subscribe to photoshop event imageChanged

Photoshop message: {"id":8,"body":"[ActionDescriptor]"}

Finished subscribe to photoshop event imageChanged

[1;31mPhotoshop error { id: 9, body: 'Error: No image open' }

[0m [1;31m[Assets] Error in getDocumentInfo: Error: No image open

[0mPhotoshop message: {"id":9,"body":"[ActionDescriptor]"}

[0mPhotoshop message: {"id":10,"body":"/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC"}

[1;31mPhotoshop error { id: 11, body: 'Error: No image open' }

[0mPhotoshop message: {"id":11,"body":"[ActionDescriptor]"}

Photoshop event: messageID: 5, name: currentDocumentChanged, parsedValue: 36

Emitting Photoshop event: [ 'PHOTOSHOP-EVENT-currentDocumentChanged', 36 ]

Current document ID: 36

Setting menu state to false

Photoshop event: messageID: 8, name: imageChanged, parsedValue: {"version":"1.1.0","timeStamp":1391529367.163,"count":2,"id":36,"active":true,"file":"/Vo lumes/path-to-file/_I4A5512.jpg","metaDataOnly":true}

Emitting Photoshop event: [ 'PHOTOSHOP-EVENT-imageChanged',

{ version: '1.1.0',

timeStamp: 1391529367.163,

count: 2,

id: 36,

active: true,

file: '/Volumes/path-to-file/_I4A5512.jpg',

metaDataOnly: true } ]

Image 36 was changed: {

"version": "1.1.0",

"timeStamp": 1391529367.163,

"count": 2,

"id": 36,

"active": true,

"file": "/Volumes/path-to-file/_I4A5512.jpg",

"metaDataOnly": true

}

Unknown document, so getting all information

Getting document info with these params: {"documentId":36,"flags":{"compInfo":true,"imageInfo":true,"layerInfo":true,"expandSmartO bjects":false,"getTextStyles":true,"selectedLayers":false,"getCompSettings":true}}

active document is /Volumes/path-to-file/_I4A5512.jpg 36

Photoshop message: {"id":12,"body":"[ActionDescriptor]"}

Photoshop message: {"id":13,"body":{"version":"1.1.0","timeStamp":1391529367.163,"count":2,"id":36,"file":"/ Volumes/path-to-file/_I4A5512.jpg","bounds":{"top":0,"left":0,"bottom":5760,"right":3840}, "selection":[0],"resolution":240,"globalLight":{"angle":30,"altitude":30},"generatorSettin gs":false,"layers":[{"id":1,"index":0,"type":"backgroundLayer","name":"Background","pixels ":true}]}}

Received complete document: {

"version": "1.1.0",

"timeStamp": 1391529367.163,

"count": 2,

"id": 36,

"file": "/Volumes/path-to-file/_I4A5512.jpg",

"bounds": {

"top": 0,

"left": 0,

"bottom": 5760,

"right": 3840

},

"selection": [

],

"resolution": 240,

"globalLight": {

"angle": 30,

"altitude": 30

},

"generatorSettings": false,

"layers": [

{

"id": 1,

"index": 0,

"type": "backgroundLayer",

"name": "Background",

"pixels": true

}

]

}

Resetting state for document 36

Document path changed from undefined to "/Volumes/path-to-file/_I4A5512.jpg"

Scheduling change to layer 1 of 36

Creating layer context for layer 1

Creating change context for layer 1

Photoshop message: {"id":13,"body":"[ActionDescriptor]"}

Updating layer 1 ("Background") of document 36 { id: 1,

index: 0,

type: 'backgroundLayer',

name: 'Background',

pixels: true,

atRootOfChange: true }

Not deleting directory "/Volumes/path-to-file/_I4A5512-assets": it doesn't exist

Just for kicks, here's the "generator" file:

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC crashes each time I try to save.
                    Curt Y Level 7

Certainly not an expert at reading this log but a couple of things grabed my attention.  There are numerous warnings in it regarding.  Have no idea if this means anything.

[1;31mPotential problem with plugin at '/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Plug-Ins/Generator/reflow.generate': Warning: Plugin 'reflow-generator' did not specify which versions of generator-core it is compatible with. It will be loaded anyway, but providing generator-core-version in its package.json is recommended.

[generator-assets] No Git repository found

[1;31mWarning: Native modules not compiled.  XOR performance will be degraded.

1;31mWarning: unable to parse JavaScript message response '/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC' as JSON. Error: SyntaxError: Unexpected token /

[1;31mPhotoshop error { id: 9, body: 'Error: No image open' }

[0m [1;31m[Assets] Error in getDocumentInfo: Error: No image open

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC crashes each time I try to save.
                      William Ames Level 1

No clue how to fix any of that. Perhaps an enterprising Adobe developer will jump in here and interpret this.

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC crashes each time I try to save.
                        Level 7

That means that generator is having problems, and might be missing some files.  If you're not using generator, then turn it off in Photoshop preferences.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC crashes each time I try to save.
                          William Ames Level 1

Good tip on the Generator...I disabled it, since I'm not likely to ever use it.

Here's an excerpt from my latest crash (it's a mile long).

All I did was open a file:

2/5/14 2:43:39.043 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.256957647[221]: ([0x0-0x639639].com.adobe.Photoshop[11417]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 11

Process:     Adobe Photoshop CC [11417]
                          Path:        /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CC
                          Identifier:  com.adobe.Photoshop
                          Version:     14.2.0 (14.2.0.515)
                          Code Type:   X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [221]

User ID:     256957647

Date/Time:   2014-02-05 14:43:35.329 -0500
                          OS Version:  Mac OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

Report Version:  10

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   libobjc.A.dylib           0x00007fff8ae38f5e objc_release + 14
                          1   libobjc.A.dylib           0x00007fff8ae38230 (anonymous namespace)::AutoreleasePoolPage::pop(void*) + 464
                          2   com.apple.CoreFoundation  0x00007fff8bfa7d72 _CFAutoreleasePoolPop + 34
                          3   com.apple.Foundation      0x00007fff90583fbd -[NSAutoreleasePool release] + 154
                          4   com.adobe.Photoshop       0x00000001014ff553 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 18104067
                          5   com.adobe.Photoshop       0x000000010008da33 0x100000000 + 580147
                          6   com.adobe.Photoshop       0x00000001017bc6f4 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 20975780
                          7   com.adobe.Photoshop       0x000000010009d94b boost::exception_detail::copy_boost_exception(boost::exception*, boost::exception const*) + 52619
                          8   com.adobe.Photoshop       0x000000010008dc4f 0x100000000 + 580687
                          9   com.adobe.Photoshop       0x000000010008da10 0x100000000 + 580112
                          10  com.adobe.Photoshop       0x00000001017bcfc4 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 20978036
                          11  com.apple.Foundation      0x00007fff90596463 __NSFireTimer + 96
                          12  com.apple.CoreFoundation  0x00007fff8bfc7804 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 20
                          13  com.apple.CoreFoundation  0x00007fff8bfc731d __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 557
                          14  com.apple.CoreFoundation  0x00007fff8bfacad9 __CFRunLoopRun + 1529
                          15  com.apple.CoreFoundation  0x00007fff8bfac0e2 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 290
                          16  com.apple.HIToolbox       0x00007fff90feaeb4 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 209
                          17  com.apple.HIToolbox       0x00007fff90feac52 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 356
                          18  com.apple.HIToolbox       0x00007fff90feaae3 BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode + 62
                          19  com.apple.AppKit          0x00007fff8f687533 _DPSNextEvent + 685
                          20  com.apple.AppKit          0x00007fff8f686df2 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 128
                          21  com.apple.AppKit          0x00007fff8f67e1a3 -[NSApplication run] + 517
                          22  com.adobe.Photoshop       0x00000001017bced2 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 20977794
                          23  com.adobe.Photoshop       0x00000001017be1a8 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 20982616
                          24  com.adobe.Photoshop       0x000000010008e33f 0x100000000 + 582463
                          25  com.adobe.Photoshop       0x00000001002f1df7 boost::exception_detail::copy_boost_exception(boost::exception*, boost::exception const*) + 2495031
                          26  com.adobe.Photoshop       0x00000001002f1f99 boost::exception_detail::copy_boost_exception(boost::exception*, boost::exception const*) + 2495449

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):

rax: 0x0001ffe500000004  rbx: 0xa3a3a3a3a3a3a3a3  rcx: 0x000000010b4a7598  rdx: 0x00000000a1a1a1a1

rdi: 0x000000014b669e30  rsi: 0x000000010b4a7000  rbp: 0x00007fff5fbfe000  rsp: 0x00007fff5fbfdba8

r8: 0x0000000000000003   r9: 0x00000000e25b2734  r10: 0x000000015ff43e40  r11: 0x00000000bf8eecf4

r12: 0x0000000108e337c0  r13: 0x0000000108e50601  r14: 0x0000000109125fc8  r15: 0x0000000109125000

rip: 0x00007fff8ae38f5e  rfl: 0x0000000000010246  cr2: 0x0000000109d38000

Logical CPU: 5