4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2014 7:27 AM by Marsoni RSS

Is there a way to apply all the font styles before importing the file

Marsoni

Hi,

I've some text as below in a text file that needs to be imported into InDesign.

"Law of Civil Procedures"

And in InDesign this is to be made bold. I want to know if there is a way to make it bold directly and then import it into InDesign, I'm asking this as I have approximately 200 pages that needed with all the font styles applied. This would be very helpful if i can first apply the font styles and then import it into InDesign.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to apply all the font styles before importing the file
          Salah Fadlabi Community Member

If the text file include with styles, you can create bold style in indesign and: Customize Style Import>Style Mapping, from import options.

map style.jpg

• 2. Re: Is there a way to apply all the font styles before importing the file
            Eugene Tyson MVP

If it's parts of text are Bold etc. you can use this script to create character styles for all the bold, italics etc. throughout the document.

http://indesignsecrets.com/perfectpreptext-a-smart-way-to-style-local-formatting.php

• 3. Re: Is there a way to apply all the font styles before importing the file
              Marsoni Community Member

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your Answer. I'm completely new to indesign, i'm basically an XSLT Developer. My question in brief is as below.

We have to make books in InDesign, and the content we receive would be in XML Format and also an RTF file is given with same content, what we do currently is copy and paste the text in InDesign document and start formatting te content accordingly. But we are having huge volumes like more than 6000 pages and similarly we are having 8-12 vilumes, i want to know if we can get the styles directly in InDesign and start working on  them.

For eg: we have the below content

<para style="left"><num style="bold">1(1)</num>   <b>[Short title and commencement]</b></para>

Here there should be a para created and the number should be bold. I'm really unable to understand how to do it. please help me with this. And also our vendors need the IDML file along with the PDF. please let me know how i can do this.

Also please suggest me some good tutorials regarding this.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to apply all the font styles before importing the file
                Marsoni Community Member

Hi Salah,

Thanks for your Answer. I'm completely new to indesign, i'm basically an XSLT Developer. My question in brief is as below.

We have to make books in InDesign, and the content we receive would be in XML Format and also an RTF file is given with same content, what we do currently is copy and paste the text in InDesign document and start formatting te content accordingly. But we are having huge volumes like more than 6000 pages and similarly we are having 8-12 vilumes, i want to know if we can get the styles directly in InDesign and start working on  them.

For eg: we have the below content

<para style="left"><num style="bold">1(1)</num>   <b>[Short title and commencement]</b></para>

Here there should be a para created and the number should be bold. I'm really unable to understand how to do it. please help me with this. And also our vendors need the IDML file along with the PDF. please let me know how i can do this.

Also please suggest me some good tutorials regarding this.

Thanks.