4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 1:32 AM by Trevor.Dennis

Help on finding a brush set once installed using Adobe Exchange in Photoshop

nyssamcelfresh

Hi,

I've installed brushes before  not with Adobe Exchange. I was in Photoshop and used the Extensions to download a brush set. This brush set was installed butto add it to Photoshop I can't find it. Anyone know where to gos  to add thisbruh set??

• 1. Re: Help on finding a brush set once installed using Adobe Exchange in Photoshop
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Which brush set in the exchange?

That isn't an extension panel listed in photoshop under Window>Extensions?

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

You restarted photoshop and then looked on the Brush preset flyout menu to see if the set was there?

• 2. Re: Help on finding a brush set once installed using Adobe Exchange in Photoshop
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

OK.  I gave it a go, and tried to install Grunge_Brush Set by Julian Danz from the Adobe Exchange panel in PS CC.  It appeared to go through the whole process of downloading and installing the brushes with no interaction requred from me, but at the end, the brushes do not appear in my, admitedly long, list of brushes.

So I Googled 'Grunge_Brush Set by Julian Danz' and discovered that they were 'Supplied by Photoshop-tutorials.de'  which was interesting, because I had found Photoshop-tutorials.de.brush.grunge.set.abr file while seaching for the Grunge brushes the AE panel had failed to install.

I had to manually place that file in user...appdata\roaming\adobe\adobe photoshop cc\presets\brushes

And then they were there in Photoshop.  I really must get round to tidying up my brushes.  Way too many, most of which are NEVER used.

• 3. Re: Help on finding a brush set once installed using Adobe Exchange in Photoshop
              Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

I just tried that same brush set from the adobe exchange on windows 7 x64 photoshop 14.2 and seemed to install okay.

I just had to click the UAC dialog during the install process, restart photoshop and there they were on the brush list.

(yeah i can't turn UAC off on this machine, because of other users)

Untitled-1.png

• 4. Re: Help on finding a brush set once installed using Adobe Exchange in Photoshop
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Thanks for the heads up RK.  I ended up removing them anyway, because they were not really up to scratch.  In fact I trawled through my long list of brush sets this afternoon, and did some house cleaning.  Removed all the dross, and renamed the sets with a meaningful first word or two, followed by enough info to identify the source.  They now list according to rough brush set type, and I removed...  [screws up face]  not that many [cringes with embarrassment] but you just never know.

Interestingly, I found a couple of identical brush sets with different names.  Plagiarism or innocently renamed according to source?

Speaking of embarrassment, I have more than once suggested to troubled Wacom tablet users to use the Wacom brushes to aid troubleshooting a nonresponsive pen Pressure issue.  I realised after my search today, that I have been completely confusing those people, and that those brushes are named Standard.  I can only hang my head in shame and put it down to a ‘can’t see wood for trees’ situation brought about by my OCD regarding brush sets.   And I thought I was being so methodical!

So if you are one of those people I have confused in the past, then my humblest apologies. 

OK, I think I’ll move to Elements now.