21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2014 5:42 PM by ssprengel

Only half of my RAW files can be read

GES-Design Level 1

So I got a card from our photographer and half of the NEF files open fine will the other half are giving me an error saying that my version of Photoshop does not support that camera. Which makes no sense. It's from the same camera. You guys have any idea what happend or what I could do to recover those files?

I am running Photoshop 5.1 Extended v12.1 x64 on a Mac running 10.6.8 with Camera Raw plug-in v6.7.0.339 and finally all the photos were shot on a Nikon D800. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
          GES-Design Level 1

Update. I also noticed that all the files I could not open were all in the 16 to 17mb range while all the files I could open were in the 20 to 30mb range. I wonder if this is a camera setting change or corrupt files?

• 2. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How were the files downloaded?

• 3. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
              GES-Design Level 1

I'm reading them off the SD card.

• 4. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read

Sorry, I should've been more specific. What software did you use to download?

• 5. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
                  GES-Design Level 1

I am dragging the files into Photoshop.

• 6. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Because of the difference in size between those that work and those that don’t, one guess is that because the D800 was first supported in ACR 6.7, so it is possible that mRAW or sRAW (whatever smaller versions of raw files are called for that Nikon) weren’t supported, yet. 

If you post an example file that doesn’t work, upload to dropbox and post a public download link, here, then others can check if the file opens in a newer version of ACR or Lightroom, or if it is corrupted. 

Do any of the files show up as ok in Bridge, which would at least initially extract the JPG preview instead of decoding the raw file.  Other OS-level photo viewers might do the same thing.

One possibility of what could be wrong, would be if you copy or even view files in Nikon Transfer or ViewNX that is older than the D800, the obsolete Nikon products will corrupt the files and make them unreable to Adobe products.   This corruption can be corrected by a utility if that turns out to be what is wrong.

Another possibility is that the files, themselves are corrupted on the memory card or during the DnD transfer.

You may want to copy the files to a location on your hard-drive before trying to look at them in PS in case PS is doing something weird when viewing things directly from the card, if that’s what you mean you’re doing.

• 7. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
                      GES-Design Level 1

Thanks ssprengel! Here's a link to the file that is not working. I ask the person that took the photos and they did not make changes to the file type while they were shooting. I can see the preview in the Mac browser window. I also booted up Bridge 5.1 and all I see is the NEF Photoshop icon. Here's the link to a file that I can't get Photoshop to open.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/unl42skrsnl7zgn/DSC_2920.NEF

Thanks again!

• 8. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read

The file on dropbox is rejected by the current ACR 8.3 and Lightroom 5.3.

The utility that would fix NikonTransfer or ViewNX corruption rejects this file a being a non-standard format.

I can use other utilities to extract the entire sensor data as a TIF so I don't think the data, itself, is corrupted.

The D800 can shoot FX mode using full-frame lenses and DX mode shooting with crop-frame lenses.  Googling, I can't find anything about either of these modes not being supported by LR.

The D800 can shoot regular raw photos with a 3:2 aspect ratio and video-still raw photos with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

A blurb on Adobe's website says the initial release of LR 4 (compatible with CS6 and ACR 7) can read 3:2 aspect ratio files but the 16:9 aspect ratio files are not supported until LR 4.1, which would be equivalent to the raw engine in CS6/ACR 7.1.

So that would mean you have no chance on CS5.x/ACR 6.7 but suggests later versions of LR and ACR would read it, starting with LR 4.1 and ACR 7.1; however, it does not work in the most current versions of LR 5, and seems to cause LR 4.3 and LR 4.4 to abort with a program error, so something is not right.

The file on dropbox that doesn't read into Adobe products is 4800x2704.  This means it is both a DX-crop file and 16:9 video-still aspect-ratio file.  Apparently while Adobe can read DX-crop files and 16:9 video-still files, Adobe products don't seem to work on a combination of both of those conditions.

Or maybe there is some slight corruption, although I'd expect only a few of your files to be unreadable if it was actually corruption, but if its half then probably all the files that are video stills with a DX lens are unreadable.

When I try to open the file in Raw Therapee (a free raw converter) it complains about a few fields being unknown but does open the file and will allow adjustments.  It may also not quite know what to do with DX-crop video-stills but it is more forgiving than Adobe products.

I have been unable to find a webpage at Adobe or elsewhere that says it will not read DX-crop video stills, but this is my working assumption.

Do you have access to pay-for (or free) Nikon raw-conversion software that is new enough to understand D800 images that could be used to at least create TIF files from these DX-video-stills so you could do further processing in LR? 

Finally you might upload another couple of these files to dropbox.com in case something is indeed corrupted with the one example you put there, and others would work fine in newer Adobe products.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
                          GES-Design Level 1

Thanks! It seems that the person taking the photos was accidently putting the camera into video mode. I've done it before but when I am taking video I accidently put it in photo mode. LOL. Thanks! I tried using RAW Therapee and it worked perfect on the PC we have. I'll see if I have time to give LightRoom a try on my Mac. What is ACR?

• 10. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read

ACR = Adobe Camera Raw. It is a plug-in for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

• 11. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
                              GES-Design Level 1

Oh yeah! I have version 7 running with PS 5.1 Extended.

• 12. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read

PS CS 5.1 is only compatible up to ACR 6.7.   ACR 7.x is only compatible with PS CS6.  What version is reported when you do Help / About Plug-ins / Camera Raw in PS?

• 13. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
                                  GES-Design Level 1

Camera Raw plug-in v6.7.0.339

• 14. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read

Ok, so you have ACR 6, not ACR 7, which makes sense for the PS version you're using. 

Your ACR 6.7 will not open D800 HD-video-still sized files according to Adobe documentation, but ACR 7.1 should, because LR 4.1 could:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/nikon-raw-files-d800-d800e.html

Just to verify Adobe cannot support DX-HD raw files from the D800, can you upload one other NEF that is a video-still from that photoshoot, just to make sure it is not a coincidental corruption of the one example you uploaded, and the rest will work fine in newer Adobe products?

• 16. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read

No luck with that file, either:

2014-01-16_152310.png2014-01-16_152331.png

I think I will post a message in the feedback forum which Adobe proported reads, or perhaps a private message to a developer, to see if they plan on supporting DX-HD format for D800 cameras and see what they say.  May I include your two dropbox images in this message, or do you plan to remove them right away?

• 17. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
                                        GES-Design Level 1

I can leave them up for awhile. Thanks so much! By the way can I upgrade my ACR to 8.3? I keep hitting the update button in PS but it tells me there are no updates. I tried installing it manually but I get an error with a link to a page about serial numbers. I confused and figured I can't update to anyting higher than what I have right now. Thanks again!

• 18. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read

I have both files, locally, as well, so if you want to take them down, I can send them copies from my dropbox.  I just don't have a camera to generate my own tests with.  Thanks for providing copies.

--

Adobe stops releasing updates for older version series of their products once the new version series has come out, so once CS6 was out, CS5.x didn't get any more updates.  The exception is during the transition from one version series to another.  For example, the D800 is listed as first being supported by CS5.x ACR 6.7 and CS6 ACR 7.1.   This is becasue the camera came out about the time of the major PS version upgrade so Adobe supported the camera in both PS-CS series.

ACR 8.x is available for any current Adobe PS-CS series, and that includes both PS-CS6.x and PS-CC, but not an older CS5.x series.

Adobe is suppose supporting the older CS6 version series because it is the last one to have perpetual licensing and they still need to sell it ti keep some peopel happy.  They are just not updating it with new PS features like automatic perspective corrections or 3D-printing or whatever the new features of PS-CC are.

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 19. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
                                            GES-Design Level 1

Man usually forums are not this throughly helpful. Thanks!

• 20. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read
                                              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Thanks Steve and GES-Design for providing all the details.  This problem will be fixed in the next dot release versions of Camera Raw and Lightroom (hopefully before long).

• 21. Re: Only half of my RAW files can be read

As you can see, this problem will be fixed in the next version of ACR and Lightroom; however, these updates will only be available for PS-CS6 and PS-CC and Lightroom 5.x, so you'd need to upgrade to one of those to take advantage of this fix, unless, somehow, the DNG Converter will create Adobe-readable DNGs from these NEFs.