27 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 3:36 AM by BeutlerDev

Photoshop CC

BeutlerDev

You know I just hate working with Photoshop now. Dread opening the program.

1. The new default Arrange view whereby when you drag an image into photoshop and it puts it into an existing image is a nightmare and the work around I found after trawling the internet only works for a while

2. You have to drag the image in because Photoshop does not recognise the psd extension (and do not ask me to re-install photoshop!) or any other extension like jpg, so you have to make the photoshop window smaller (a pain) and drag images in (which immediately jump into an existing image) or use Bridge which is far too cluncky for general use and how on earth does mini bridge allow you to locate images with no file directory?

One fed up user.

ps all the other stuff is great.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

1. The new default Arrange view whereby when you drag an image into photoshop and it puts it into an existing image is a nightmare and the work around I found after trawling the internet only works for a while

What are you talking about?

Have you tried turning of Preferences > Interface > Open Documents as Tabs and Enable Floating …?

2. You have to drag the image in because Photoshop does not recognise the psd extension (and do not ask me to re-install photoshop!) or any other extension like jpg

OS?

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC
            Sulaco Level 3

1. If you drag an file onto the Tabs Area or above, PS will open the file as a new document.

Untitled-1.jpg

2. Are you on MAC or PC? This sounds like you have a problem with your file associations. This is a OS problem and not related to PS. On a PC you can right-click on a file and chose "Open with" and then select Photoshop as the program you want to use with that file type.  

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC
              BeutlerDev Level 1

OS is Windows 7

Yes I have tried Preferences it works for a while and goes back to the defualt setting

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC
                BeutlerDev Level 1

That is a big help thanks

My OS is Windows 7. Yes it is a file association problem but it only occurs with Photoshop CC and there are many posts about it so it is related to a problem with the install of the initial Photoshop CC. A very big pain!

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC
                  Sulaco Level 3

So does the file association stop working after a while or is it just that the PS installation wont setup the associations correctly? Just curious if doing it manually as I suggested will help or not in the long run, have not run into this problem myself...

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC
                    BeutlerDev Level 1

The PS installation won't setup the file associations at all. Also you cannot set them up using windows because PS does not appear at all amongst the options even when you right click open with or when you choose default program. It does not even recognise psd files. Yes the work around is maybe to re-install but who knows if that won't mess things up even more.

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC
                      BeutlerDev Level 1

What does stop working after a while is the wretched tabs/floating business, keeps defaulting to drag image into existing image instead of opening it on its own.

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

What does stop working after a while is the wretched tabs/floating business, keeps defaulting to drag image into existing image instead of opening it on its own.

Have you disabled Preferences > Interface > Enable Floating Document Window Docking and Open Documents as Tabs?

If they reset to the unwanted stae at restarting you may have a permission issue and some system maintenance might be called for.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC
                          BeutlerDev Level 1

You know I think I have to face up to un-installing and re-installing I was a very early convert to Photoshop CC from PS6 and although I have been updating it these problems have not gone away.

Question how to go about re-install? there is no longer a CD (I have a pile of them with old versions) where is the exe file? no idea what my serial number is (not available under help in photoshop) once un-installed I may never get it back to say nothing of what it might do to my windows register. 30 years of coping with computers from dos 3.1 is really getting to me.

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC
                            BeutlerDev Level 1

Oh and looking at it further those preference settings Enable Floating Document Window Docking and Open Documents as Tabs do not work with drag and drop. You have to force it by setting arrange-float all in windows each time you drag and drop, which is a little irritating when you have to drag and drop every image you want to open.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CC
                              Sulaco Level 3

BeutlerDev wrote:

The PS installation won't setup the file associations at all. Also you cannot set them up using windows because PS does not appear at all amongst the options even when you right click open with or when you choose default program. It does not even recognise psd files. Yes the work around is maybe to re-install but who knows if that won't mess things up even more.

If PS isn't in the list in "Open with" you can manually add it. Click the Browse button to locate your Photoshop.exe file. Don't forget to check "Always us the selected program..." . You will have to do this with every file type you want PS to open via double-clicking the file. Which can be a bit of a pain, but hopefully this will fix one of your problems...

Photoshop should fix the file associations when reinstalling, unless something is really rotten in the state of PS ...

Untitled-1.jpg

• 12. Re: Photoshop CC
                                Sulaco Level 3

BeutlerDev wrote:

Question how to go about re-install? there is no longer a CD (I have a pile of them with old versions) where is the exe file? no idea what my serial number is (not available under help in photoshop) once un-installed I may never get it back to say nothing of what it might do to my windows register. 30 years of coping with computers from dos 3.1 is really getting to me.

You can easilly reinstall PS via the Creative Cloud desktop app, just locate it under the Apps section. If you haven't got the CC desktop app, you can find it here:  https://creative.adobe.com/plans . Your CC subscription is connected to your Adobe-id, so make sure to log in with that id in the CC app. 

If you want to locate the PS executable, try searching for Photoshop.exe on your Computer with the Win7 search function.

I am not quite sure I understand your problem with draging and droping files in PS. Can't you just drop the file on the TABs section or above as I suggested previously? I also found this annoying in the begining, but now I have gotten used to it...

• 13. Re: Photoshop CC
                                  BeutlerDev Level 1

As I mentioned you cannot manually add file extentions to Photoshop because it does not exist in the open with dialog even when you browse. I'll not get used to something I have dragged placing itself into an existing file, very useful though if you need it, but will remember your tip about the TAB. Also thanks for suggesting I use the Adobe CC login to reinstall although it only seems to offer the option to update Photoshop not install it but when I have a day or two free I'll take the chance and un-install then re-install and hope it does that without messing up the computer even more. Would be so pleased to get it working normally again and enjoy all the new functions. Cannot get over that you can now enlarge an image without destroying it. On the test I did it actually improved the sharpness of an image after making it 4 times bigger. An amazing programming feat.

• 14. Re: Photoshop CC
                                    Sulaco Level 3

I don't want to be obnoxious but the Photoshop.exe file exist somewhere in the depths of your hard drive otherwise PS wouldn't be working :). You need to locate that path via the browse button, it could typically be something like this:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\ Photoshop.exe

But a uninstall and a reinstall should hopefully fix this problem. Good luck, hope you get this sorted!

• 15. Re: Photoshop CC
                                      BeutlerDev Level 1

Well yes it will be under programs/adobe etc but that won't help me. Finding the exe won't solve anything. I cannot delete it because that will screw up the registery, I have to un-install it but that means I need to know my serial number and key and maybe other things about or it won't re-install as a registered copy. But it maybe that now my info is stored within my Adobe login. Trouble is I seem to have 3 logins for Adobe, one for forums, one for the cloud and yet another. I just have to un-install and hope for the best. Hope that the update button works. I have already updated the program a few times but that did not solve the problem, it has to be un-installed which means I am without photoshop until its back again.

• 16. Re: Photoshop CC
                                        BeutlerDev Level 1

Well there we go, I un-installed Photoshop and now clicking update says "can't find Photoshop" so I am without Photoshop and I need to work. Completely stuck thanks to a bad first install with the first release of Photoshop CC.

I cannot find any way to get my Photoshop back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The program is not even available in my cloud login

• 17. Re: Photoshop CC
                                          BeutlerDev Level 1

Well thats it, no matter what I try I cannot re-install my Photoshop thanks very much Adobe. And help forget it.

• 18. Re: Photoshop CC
                                            Sulaco Level 3

What kind of CC subscription do you have, is it a full sub or just for Photoshop? I assume you made sure to login in into the Creative Cloud desktop app with the adobe-id that you used to subscribe to PS. Photoshop should appear under the "Apps" tab in CC app. If it's not in the list, on possible reason might be that your computer isn't up to the minimal requirements for PS. Check here : http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/system-requirements-photoshop.html#Photo shop%20CC%20system%20requirements

Or it might just be a problem with your subscription, you might want to contact Adobe directly for this! This is a user forum and although Adobe staff sometimes post here, they won't read/reply to every thread.

http://helpx.adobe.com/support.html?promoid=JZEFP

Hope you get this sorted! I can understand your frustration!

• 19. Re: Photoshop CC
                                              BeutlerDev Level 1

You have been so kind helping me. I only have the Photoshop subscription as that is all I need from Adobe. Like I said I have 3 logins now for Adobe. I logged into the CC desktop app with the login I have been using to update Photoshop and Bridge but all I have is an option to update Photoshop not install it and the update no longer works. I have to re-install photoshop because updating it does not solve the original problem. I will have to attempt to contact adobe help staff but that could take days even a week. Way back in this same forum there are lots of posts from people installing Photoshop CC into Win7 with the same problem. This also raises a question, if my computer blows up/gets stolen etc how do I install PSCC again, with only the option to update? Its not like having the CD of which I have at least 8 CDs of previous versions.

• 20. Re: Photoshop CC
                                                Sulaco Level 3

No worries ! Just wish I could solve your problem, but I can only base my advice on my own experiences... and so far, surprisingly enough, I have had no major issues with CC ... YET at least. It does indeed seem to be an issue for the Adobe staff to resolve, hope it doesn't take days!

• 21. Re: Photoshop CC
                                                  BeutlerDev Level 1

Not getting anywhere so far, the help link just pushes you from one forum to the next, pages and pages of useless information with no option to contact staff. Even the error message dialog box does not allow you to copy the text so you have to save it as an image which no doubt will be blocked by their email form. Its cost be a lot in productivity and grey hairs this upgrade and at this rate it will take days just to contact them. Nice of them suggesting re-install Photoshop thats just what I am trying to do.adobe error message.JPG

• 22. Re: Photoshop CC
                                                    BeutlerDev Level 1

This does not look good

"While updating CC, at the end of the download I receive the error code U44M1P28. I have tried to uninstall to reinstall the programms but this also fails.

I have been on ichat for 1 1/2hrs and they couldnt help me".

From another forum

• 23. Re: Photoshop CC
                                                      Sulaco Level 3

I got a similar and unhelpful error code a couple of days ago when I attempted to update my PS and of course clicking on "more info" did absolutely nothing. I retried a couple of times, no change, then I gave up. When I tried again today the update succeeded. No idea what that was all about, maybe they fixed something.

There is a chat function which I think is your best bet, if you don't want to grow a beard while  listening to elevator music on the phone support! Click on the link I gave you and then "Contact Us", then select your product and then specify what you want help with. Then click "I still need help" on the bottom of the page. That should give you an option to start a chat or get a phone nr to call. Not really the easiest way of reaching them, I know ...

• 24. Re: Photoshop CC
                                                        BeutlerDev Level 1

Well I must try that, after following their guidence I ended up at a forum for Creative Cloud install problems but had no answer for 2 days. Just had 2 photography urgent jobs come in and I have no Photoshop so I'm now losing money......

• 25. Re: Photoshop CC
                                                          BeutlerDev Level 1

Well Sulaco 2 hours later my photoshop is working again thanks to your help and encouragement. I tried a phone call but with a 90 minute wait from London to USA I went for the chat instead and a very helpful guy got me sorted out by adding a link in my Adobe CC login to install the latest Photoshop  - SO PLEASED!!! I will sleep well tonight....

• 26. Re: Photoshop CC
                                                            Sulaco Level 3

90 minutes... wow! I spent 60 minutes on hold waiting for the the Swedish Adobe sales department yesterday! I gave up! But I am really glad to hear you managed to get this sorted! Hope the file association problem goes away as well!

• 27. Re: Photoshop CC
                                                              BeutlerDev Level 1

Oh yes the file association problem is history! Everything works perfectly. I couldn't be happier and I can do my shoot this afternoon and Thursday and Friday without any worries.