7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 2:34 PM by Sulaco

Illustrator vector object becomes less black in Photoshop

davidvlh

I drew an object, all black, in Illustrator, then placed it into Photoshop, the vector become less saturated than it was in Illustrator. Can anyone help me solve this problem?

• 1. Re: Illustrator vector object becomes less black in Photoshop
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You will have to read up on color management, color profiles, color modes and so on. Colors changing across different tools means your settings don't match or you work e.g. in CMYK in Illustrator but RGB in PS.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Illustrator vector object becomes less black in Photoshop
            davidvlh Level 1

I think I had different settings. I started creating my vector in Ai CS 5 on a different computer at school then finished in Ai CC at home. I have my Adobe apps set up as RGB. I didn't change the default (CMYK) at school. Makes sense. The jpg and pdf output looks fine though. I just hope this wont be an issue with the printer.

• 3. Re: Illustrator vector object becomes less black in Photoshop
              Sulaco Level 3

You might also want to check "Edit/Preferences/Appearance of Black" in Illustrator. To deepen the black when printing (CMYK) you mix other colours into it, creating something called Rich Black. The mix could be something like C=50,M=50,Y=50,K=100, this will produce a blacker black than C=0,M=0,Y=0,K=100 (called 100K Black) when printing, it's desirable in certain situations.

Now "Appearance of Black" controls how black is displayed/printed/exported in Illustrator and I think that the default setting is "Display All Blacks As Rich Black" which means than if you use 100K Black in Illustrator and then transfer it to PS it might look less black in PS, depending on your settings.

• 4. Re: Illustrator vector object becomes less black in Photoshop
                davidvlh Level 1

Both settings are set to rich black in Illustrator by default, that is the way I had it set when I transfered the image over to PS.

When saved to pdf and jpg, the output of the black looks as rich as the the text created in PS. It's just odd that the image appears to be less saturated in PS.

• 5. Re: Illustrator vector object becomes less black in Photoshop
                  Sulaco Level 3

If you have Printing/Exporting set to "Output All Blacks as Rich Black" that will make sure that all blacks will be Rich Blacks when printing or exporting. But apparently if you copy and then paste into PS, it will not convert 100K Blacks to Rich Blacks. So pasting isn't considered exporting... but saving a PDF or a JPG is!

• 6. Re: Illustrator vector object becomes less black in Photoshop
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Sulaco wrote:

You might also want to check "Edit/Preferences/Appearance of Black" in Illustrator. To deepen the black when printing (CMYK) you mix other colours into it, creating something called Rich Black. The mix could be something like C=50,M=50,Y=50,K=100, this will produce a blacker black than C=0,M=0,Y=0,K=100 (called 100K Black) when printing, it's desirable in certain situations.

Now "Appearance of Black" controls how black is displayed/printed/exported in Illustrator and I think that the default setting is "Display All Blacks As Rich Black" which means than if you use 100K Black in Illustrator and then transfer it to PS it might look less black in PS, depending on your settings.

It's one of those things that, even if new to CMYK, 100K black would look so wrong, you'd have to look into it and find out what the heck was going on

True Black.jpg

Sulaco, useful tip about pasting into Photoshop.

• 7. Re: Illustrator vector object becomes less black in Photoshop
                      Sulaco Level 3

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

Sulaco, useful tip about pasting into Photoshop.

Thanks Trevor! I just wish it would say "Exporting & Printing, but NOT copy / pasting" in the Black settings ... I also find the default settings here a fairly odd choice!