8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 2:58 PM by George_Johnson

SUBMIT BUTTON HELP

dwash123

I have posted forms on our website and once I did that, the Submit button no longer works.  It works fine through my documents when I open the forms that way, however our clients need to click on the form on our website, complete the form, then click 'Submit';  How do I activate the Submit button on the forms so clients can submit them after filling them out through our website?

• 1. Re: SUBMIT BUTTON HELP
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The submit button should work if the form is opened in Adobe Reader (or Acrobat). The problem is many web borwsers have built-in PDF viewers that have limited or no support for forms. Those with limited support often don't support submitting. Most browser/OS combinations can be configured so that Rader opens in the browser, or opens the PDF in Reader outside of the browser. So see if you can figure out exactly what is being used to view the form by the users.

• 2. Re: SUBMIT BUTTON HELP
            dwash123 Level 1

Thank you for the quick response.  It appears that the documents are actually opening in Adobe Reader..But the button still doesn't work..  Is there anything else it may be that you could suggest??

• 3. Re: SUBMIT BUTTON HELP

It would be helpful to be able to test the form. If you don't want to post a link here in the forum, I'd be happy to take a look if you want to send a message through the forum (click my name and then "Send private message" while viewing this in the forum).

• 4. Re: SUBMIT BUTTON HELP

I did just a few tests and it worked normally with Reader 11, Internet Explorer (8) and WinXP, but I had to trust the host in the yellow message bar at the top. Same thing with Chrome. It didn't work with Acrobat 9 and Firefox 26, which hasn't been normal, but did with Acrobat 9 and Chrome.

It would be interesting to see if the problem is that the form is actually submitting (which you can check by looking at the responses table) but the response from the server is not being displayed in the popup. Hopefully someone from the FormsCentral team will see this and be able to lend a hand.

• 5. Re: SUBMIT BUTTON HELP
                  Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

You can send me the PDF to jcorey@adobe.com and we can take a look.  I do have to say that we strongly recommend against having your PDF open in a web browser, unless you know that you can control the viewer that will be used to open the PDF (IE: you have some control over the users and the environment that they use to fill out the PDF), there are no guaranees that Adobe Reader will be used to fill out the PDF.

We have an FAQ on this issue: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-4142

I would like to investigate the case George mentioned that didn't work and will check other combinations - do you know other combinations where you say the document is opened in Reader?  Which version of Reader and what web browser and operating system?

Can you also check on the last point that George made, either test yourself to see if the form was actually submitted but no verification was shown, or by sharing the form with me in FormsCentral so I can do the same test?  The following are instructions for sharing: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2462

Thanks,

Josh

• 6. Re: SUBMIT BUTTON HELP
                    dwash123 Level 1

Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for the time you spent on testing the forms.  After reading your response, I now realize that if I open it using Explorer (like you said) the forms do work and the Submit button does function properly.  Mainly, we use Safari unless we are working with a few specific programs, which have issues in Safari so we have to open them with Explorer.  So it's looking like the function of the Submit button really depends on what the client filling out the form is using...that's a slight bummer..  Maybe I should edit all the forms and add a line stating just that..I'm not seeing any other way around it..

Yes I hope someone from the FormsCentral team will indeed see this and offer their advice, however, I must say that you sure fooled me.. I thought you were on their team, given the quick responses and the effort you put into helping me! That's awesome.  I do believe your answer is 100% the reason for the issue, and for that, I thank you again.

Thanks for all your help!!

• 7. Re: SUBMIT BUTTON HELP
                      dwash123 Level 1

Hello Josh_Corey.

Thank you for your response as well.  I do believe the problem I am having with the Submit button is due to what you and George had said; That it depends on what the viewer is using to fill out the form.  You make a good point about not being able to control that so it may not be the best idea to have them open in a web browser.  It doesn't look like there is any way around it.  I used Explorer and it worked, but did not in Safari.  Also, I checked the responses and it does not appear the problem is the popup not...well..'popping up'.  Thank you for your help and if I have any questions further I will come back to you guys.  Thanks again!

• 8. Re: SUBMIT BUTTON HELP

The Mac is probably the most problematic for getting a PDF to display in Reader in any browser, so it might be the reason for a good percentage of problems you encounter.

But the biggest problem regarding Macs is when folks use Preview, which is the default PDF viewer for most Mac users. It's not only exceedingly buggy when working with PDF forms, I consider it malevolent in the corruption it causes. It won't be able to submit, but if some users email a form that was used with Preview, any text fields will appear to be blank (until you click into one), but you will be able to export the data and import it into a blank form using Acrobat.