6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 7:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Playback in Premier Elements 12 stops after one second

authortroy

The play button will only play one second in more than one project, more than one video type. This is a recent development (related to an update perhaps) as it was working last time I used it a couple of weeks ago.

• 1. Re: Playback in Premier Elements 12 stops after one second
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying that if you start  a new project and you put several clips of the same video format on the timeline, the timeline won't play?

If that's not correct, please be more specific. What models of camcorders is your video coming from and what formats are you combining?

Also, which clip is the first one on your timeline? This first clip sets the project settings.

• 2. Re: Playback in Premier Elements 12 stops after one second
            authortroy Level 1

This occured with an existing project as well. The files come from a Sony NEX 5-N, but this worked in Premiere 12 just two weeks ago. Now when I open the project (that was working) the playback stops every one second.

The first file on the timeline is an AVI file. However, in another project (that is now acting the same) the first file is an mp4

• 3. Re: Playback in Premier Elements 12 stops after one second
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How about some more information?

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".

•Have you installed the recent updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

• 4. Re: Playback in Premier Elements 12 stops after one second
                authortroy Level 1

WIndows 8.1

Installed all updates (double checked.

I did include the model of camera in my reply above Sony NEX 5-N *

* Note: this same file, same project was working when I worked with it two weeks ago

There is no error message. Playback just stops every one second, and will resume when play is pressed again, for one second. There are many solutions in the forums for Mac, but not for the Windows version

This is a relatively new computer. There is over 500GB free on the HD, I am running 16GB of RAM, and an i7 processor*

*Again, Adobe Premeier Elements 12 worked fine on this computer, this same project, two weeks ago

I have made no changes to Premier Elements since then.

NO, the video does not have a red line over it before I begin work. I am an advanced user of Premier

I have installed tha latest version of QUicktime

I have viewed the tutorials, thanks.

• 5. Re: Playback in Premier Elements 12 stops after one second
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What MAY have happened is that a Windows update has caused your graphics adapter driver to become obsolete

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 6. Re: Playback in Premier Elements 12 stops after one second
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

authortroy

Where do you have the Scratch Disks pointed to and how much free space is at that location?

(Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks).

Have you checked for pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files?

Was your Premiere Elements 12 installed to default location on Local Disc C?

Playback issues always need to have the video card drive rule in or out, but I believe that you have indicated that you checked that out at the web site of the manufacturer of the video card. If that is the case, we could look at deleting the BadDrivers.txt file.

AVCHD.avi can be problematic if that is the video that you are dealing with. The same problem would not be expected for AVCHD.mp4.

Have you imported a bunch of jpg photos to the Timeline, rendered them, and then determined if the Timeline Indicator ran continuously across the Timeline after you pressed Play on the Edit Mode monitor?

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR