4T4

I have followed the instructions on how to blur text using drop shadows:

Type Text

Add Drop Shadow

Fill object text with white (paper)

Blending set to Multiply

Uncheck "Knock Out Object..."

View in Overprint view

...however, it's not working.  When the object text is white, it can still be seen over the white background.  Does anyone know how I can fix this?

• 1. Re: Blurring Text
          Doc Maik Level 4

http://www.ehow.com/how_8361644_blur-text-indesign.html

Something like this? Make sure the "Multiply" is applied to transparency and not something else.

• 2. Re: Blurring Text
            4T4 Level 1

I'm an idiot.  I forgot to adjust the x & y offsets.  It's always the simplest things.  Thanks for your response though.

• 3. Re: Blurring Text
              Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Here is my method for blurred text (same concept, but slightly different)

Text is colorized Paper

Select text frame and apply drop shadow for object (Settings for > "Object"). The "Blend Mode" can be anything. The text color is controlled by the color of drop shadow.

Select Transparency and (Settings for > "Text") Blending Mode "Multiply"

This method does not require Overprint Preview "On" or Object Knocks Out Shadow "selected" or "deselected".

• 4. Re: Blurring Text
                4T4 Level 1

One more question about blur.  When I built a layout everything looked perfect, but when I exported it, some of the images were blurry.  What does that mean? 

• 5. Re: Blurring Text
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are the links up to date?

What's the Effective PPI when you select one of these blurry images and check the link info?

• 6. Re: Blurring Text
                    4T4 Level 1

That's way above my head.  I got the pics from Google images.  They are jpg, but I heard that it may be better to use vectors because they are more editable.  Is this true?  Also, as to your reply, where would I find the PPI and link info?

• 7. Re: Blurring Text

How did you bring the images into the document? Drag and drop from Google (bad) or save the image and use File > Place... (better, but no guarantee the image is good enough to use the way you intend).

Are these images public domain or have you obtained permission from the copyright holder to use them if this is to be published? Grabbing images from Google is probably OK for classwork under the fair use doctrine, but it most definitley is NOT OK for creating art you will publish or sell.

• 8. Re: Blurring Text
                        4T4 Level 1

I saved them from Google and brought them in >Place.  This is just for business cards, nothing to sell.

• 9. Re: Blurring Text

To find the effective resolution select the image and open the Links panel (since you can check the link status there at the same time). In the bottom half of the panel you'll see the link info. Scroll through and read the Effective PPI.

And you need permission for images you use on a business card... There are some very inexpensive sources for royalty-free stock photos and clip art so you don't need to stealk someone else's work. iStockPhoto.com is one that is popular.

• 10. Re: Blurring Text
                            4T4 Level 1

Thanks.  I'll try that.