11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 2:09 AM by Hyland7

Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9

Hyland7

I am continually getting the following message in PE9 "Adobe Premiere Elements is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution."

I have just started a new project and only imported 3 small clips (less than 1:30) in AVHCD (.mts) forrnat.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate ver.6 with 4GB RAM, 1x200GB WD Raptor HDD (50GB free) and 2x300GB WD SATA drives (80GB and 90GB free).

I have been creating a number of videos on this system over the past few years with similar problems, but usually only when I had a large video compilation (> 1 hour).

Regards

Peter

• 1. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Version 9 does not handle AVCHD video terribly efficiently. That process was greatly improved in versions 10, 11 and 12.

But that said, what are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu? In order for your project to function most efficiently, your project settings much match your video specs.In version 9, you can view but you can not change your project settings mid-project.

Are your AVCHD video files 1920x1080?

If so, you need to start a new project and select the Settings Full AVCHD 1920x1080, either stereo or 5.1 audio. (Premiere Elements 11 and 12 do this automatically for you.)

You should also work in Timeline rather than Sceneline mode and render  your timeline (press Enter) whenever you see red along the top of your timeline, above your clips.

• 2. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to Steve's questions and important suggestions, I have one more question, please:

What is the Window's Virtual Memory (Page File) set to, and how is that managed?

Assuming that your Windows 7 is a 64-bit OS, that installed 4GB of RAM is really just about enough to run the OS, with little left over for programs, such as PrE, so the Page File will be used quite a bit. "Running low on system memory" covers both the installed RAM, and then the Virtual Memory, the Page File.

Also, if one has many other programs and processes, most loaded at boot-up, they will sap the computer's resources too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
              Hyland7 Level 1

Hi Bill and Steve,

Thanks for the prompt replies.  As a “newbie” to the forum, I am not sure whether I should be responding direct to you via email or through the forum web-site.  However, since I have included some “screen dump” .jpegs, thought it better to respond via email.

Steve Grisetti Questions

“Version 9 does not handle AVCHD video terribly efficiently. That process was greatly improved in versions 10, 11 and 12.

But that said, what are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu? In order for your project to function most efficiently, your project settings much match your video specs .In version 9, you can view but you can not change your project settings mid-project.”

Project Settings

I realise now that the project settings do not reflect the format of the AVHCD files that I am importing.  However, I have been using PrE 4 and now PrE 9 for at least the last 4 -5 years, originally with MiniDV tapes in .AVI format, and been getting this same message.  Soon after the warning, PrE just crashes, and I have found that I need to either do a “System Restart” or “Log Off” to free up the resources.  This is annoying, since it usually takes at least 4 or 5 minutes to reopen the PrE project.  The only way I have found getting the warning nd subsequent program crash, has been to divide the edited file into 2 or more PrE projects and output the results to an .AVI file, which can then be imported into a new project.  Unfortunately, the final product often suffered from reduced quality ( I assume from file compression, etc).

Are your AVCHD video files 1920x1080?

AVHCD files are 1920 x 1080 – see screen dump below of a typical AVCHD file used

Bill Hunt Questions

“What is the Window's Virtual Memory (Page File) set to, and how is that managed?”

See copy of Virtual Memory screen dump below -

Assuming that your Windows 7 is a 64-bit OS, that installed 4GB of RAM is really just about enough to run the OS, with little left over for programs, such as PrE, so the Page File will be used quite a bit. "Running low on system memory" covers both the installed RAM, and then the Virtual Memory, the Page File.

My system is running Windows 7 32 bit only (not 64 bit) –s see screen dump –

“Also, if one has many other programs and processes, most loaded at boot-up, they will sap the computer's resources too.”

I have learned from bitter experience that I need to close down as many other background applications as possible to free up as much memory as possible.  This includes Internet, Firewall/Virus, Outlook/eMail and other “miscellaneous” background apps that support devices like TomTom, FitBit, etc

When my “IT Support person” (my son-in-law!) gets back from holidays in several weeks, I will look at adding more RAM, but would like to at least find what is causing the underlying problem now.  What would you consider to be adequate RAM – eg 16GB?   Obviously, the more the better, but at a cost.

Regards

Peter

• 4. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As we said above, the indications are that you are not matching your project settings to your video specs.

You should also work in Timeline rather than Sceneline mode and render  your timeline (press Enter) whenever you see red along the top of your timeline, above your clips.

• 5. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

Both Steve and I are responding via Web browsers to the Forum. The e-mails that you get are because you are subscribed to the Forum, for notifications.

It's probably best to respond via a Web browser, as there can be issues, when responding via e-mail.

Also, Steve and I (plus all others), can see your Replies, so there is no need to respond to each of us, except where you perhaps wish to address something that Steve has posted, or to something that I have posted. You can also Reply to both of us in one post. I find that the Block Quotes function works well for that, as it will allow you to say Copy a question from my Reply, then designate that as a Quote, and you can then answer it in your Reply. It will be the same, should another subscriber to the forum have another question, that Steve and I might not have thought to ask.

Good luck, and do not hesitate to ask about anything above - to get clarification.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

Also, it appears that your screen-caps did not attach. That commnly happens, when one is accessing the forum via an e-mail client, or a mobile device app.

If you would kindly access the forum via a Web browser, and try attaching the JPEG, or PNG Images again, that would be appreciated.

If you need any help with attaching a JPEG, or PNG, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
                      Hyland7 Level 1

Hi Bill and Steve,

Thanks for the useful info on posting.

I am attaching the screen caps below that didn't come through originially.

Project Settings -

Project Settings 1.jpg

Project Settings 2.jpg

Project Settings 3.jpg

AVHCD Format

AVHCD Format.jpg

Virtual memory

Windows VM.jpg

Windows System details

Windows System.jpg

• 8. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Peter,

You have a lot of conversation going on in your thread already and I do not mean to interupt, but I am seeing that no one has picked up on a point that you have made about increasing to RAM to greater than 4 GB.

As long as you stay with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, installed RAM greater than 4 GB is not going to be supported for Premiere Elements whether you have Windows 7 32 bit (which you have) or Windows 7 64 bit. That means that you are tied with the 32 bit system of maximum supported installed RAM of 4 GB of which typically 3.2 to 3.0 GB or less of that are available. You need specifically Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 running specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit to have a Premiere Elements 64 bit application that can take advantage of the more RAM in a 64 bit system. In latter case, you can get the larger projects taken to a successful completion with a greater frequency.

Again, going above 4 GB of installed RAM is not going help out the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 situation.

True AVCHD editing is a resource demanding format especially in a 32 bit system with a 32 bit application, however your memory situation is not explained by that if all you are putting on the Timeline is a few minutes of footage. Remember that even in Windows 7 64 bit, your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system.

You mention use of .avi footage, presumed from DV data capture firewire. In what program was the capture done? If not Premiere Elements, please check to see if you have DV AVI Type 1 or Type 2.

I will retreat and watch for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
                          Hyland7 Level 1

Hi Ray,

Thanks for that update. I understand that unless I update to a later version of PrE AND upgrade to Win 64 bit, then there is no point in adding extra RAM.  I will consider this one later on.  Obviously other PrE users are able to work within these restrictions, so I will put up with it for now.

I read an earlier post of yours where you had stated that AVHCD was resource hungry, so I have used a trial version of Xilisoft HD Video Converter to convert all of my AVHCD files to .AVI format, still retaining the format (1920x1080 25fps) and interleaved (Type 1 ?).  I will try and create a new project using some of the .AVI footage and see if there is any difference, ensuring that my Project Settings reflect the format.

re the earlier use of DV .avi footage, I have checked one of my earlier projects and the corresponding input files.  The footage was captured within PrE from a Canon video camera using Firewire (IEEE 1394).  The DV AVI files were all interleaved which I understand is Type 1, although they were 720 x 576 4:3 25fps.

• 10. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hyland,

DV AVI Type 1 can cause a variety of failures in Premiere Elements which supports DV AVI Type 2. It was DV AVI that I was specifically referring to.

To check what you have you can use the free utiity name gspot and look for that DV AVI type information on the left column, container section.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

If you did the DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window, your DV AVI should be Type 2.

Many who got involved with AVCHD editing, before Premiere Elements 64 bit application, would use a variety of converters to take the AVCHD to a less resource demanding format. Many went with the MPEG2 HD 1920 x 1080 type. There were a variety of techniques that evolved during that time which I do not know whether they would be of help....proxy editing and such. I can get you more information on that if it comes to that. The original Ozpeter work is found

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/486598

I have a step by step on that from a few years back if needed.

Thanks for the reply.

ATR

• 11. Re: Low Memory Warning in Premiere Elements 9
                              Hyland7 Level 1

Hi Ray,

I used GSpot to check the previous .avi files, and found that they are indeed Type 2

GSpot 1.png

Getting back to the original problem, I have created a new project using the same 3 clips in my original project, but these have been converted to .avi files.  I have used GSpot to identify the properties of these - see below -

GSpot 2.png

GSpot doesnt identify these as Type 1 or 2.

I was able to ebit this small project with no problems, however the output is somewhat "jerky", so I suspect that I need to do some work on frame rates perhaps.  I persevere using the .avi files and see what happens.

Thanks for the help to date

Peter