2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 1:51 AM by Migintosh

pagination of a book with an intro section

sumac1946

I am redoing a book in InDesign that I did in Pagemaker in 2008. I am having trouble with pagination. All 64 chapters are in a book panel in order. There is an Introductory section which is 12 pages, that I want in roman numerals, except for the 1st 5 pages, and I am able to paginate those vi-xii. However, I want the formal Chapters to begin with page 1, but it keeps showing up as page 13. Then I tried starting chapter 1 at page 1 with a new section and page 4 became page 1 so the pages were out of order.

Obviously this is not correct. How SHOULD I be doing it?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: pagination of a book with an intro section
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

In the book panel click twice on the numbers of the document where you want to start with 1. This will open the section & numbering dialog, normally opened from the page panel menu. There activate the option to start from and insert 1.

• 2. Re: pagination of a book with an intro section
            Migintosh Level 4

sumac1946 wrote:

There is an Introductory section which is 12 pages…

Is that 12 pages total, all within one InDesign document, with the next document being the first chapter that you want to be numbered page-1?

sumac1946 wrote:

…I want in roman numerals, except for the 1st 5 pages, and I am able to paginate those vi-xii.

I'm not sure I understand. It sounds like you're saying you want the first 5 pages to be numbered vi-xii, but what I think you mean is that you don't want to see any page numbers for the first 5 pages (i-v), and have pages 6-12 to be numbered vi-xii. If the second example is correct (and by the way, that's a little odd—would you care to explain why you want that, if I understand you correctly that is), you need to start numbering at page 1 with Roman numbers, but use a master page that doesn't have a page number placeholder for the first 5 pages. Then, use a master page that has a page number placeholder for 6-12. Since all 12 pages will be within the same page number region, you will get no page numbers for 1-5 (even though they are considered 1-5), and when you get to page 6, you won't need a new region, because it will continue from the previous page and show as vi.

For chapter 1, set a page start on the first page, and have it start at 1 with regular Arabic numbers. You won't need any other page starts for the other documents (chapters) as long as you continue from the previous chapter. I don't remember whether PageMaker had a book function or not, but if it did, I'd just chuck it and create a new book with the documents you have converted to InDesign. And before you add chapters to the new book, you might want to check each document and remove any page starts and add them back in after you bring them into the book.