2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 3:31 AM by Pierre Devereux

Just out of interest.....Central Storage question

Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

Just a question, what is the general practice for data storage and usage?

In other words, we store all our footage files on a server with 2 x 2TB drives internal to it. Each PC then connects to the server, one using Premier and the other After Effects. The footage remians on the server. Is this best practice, or do we need to get into the habit of copying the source files daily to our local machines, and saving the project only to the server? Then I suppose every evening you could do a "Collect Files" and then copy that folder to the server for backup?

Pierre

• 1. Re: Just out of interest.....Central Storage question
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That's more a question of how your server is connected and how much load it can handle. Unless that's an issue, I wouldn't bother with copying files locally. If it ever becomes an issue, beefing up the server and the network stuff would make more sense. The thing is that as long as everyone is working of the server, but only accessing his parts, the overall network load would usualyl still be much lower than everyone trying to backup the files at the same time in the evening. and naturally, you can't control files being changed if they are worked on locally. If bad luck would have it, one colleague could overwrite a file anotehr colleague has worked on al lday directly on the server... Not good.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Just out of interest.....Central Storage question
            Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

That was my biggest concern - the overwriting of files. We currently have a sad excuse as a server (it is actually just a little PC) but will be upgrading to a NAS device very soon. I will also get a better network infrastructure put in.

Thanks again for the advice.

Pierre