9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 12:04 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Should I Scale in Premiere or Use Cameras in AE?

Estarno1 Level 1

I'm using Dynamic Link to cut talking head videos in Premiere and bring into AE- my question: is it ok to use different cameras in AE instead of scaling in Premiere? I just want to make sure that when I do a closeup shot or zoom in AE, it doesn't lose any more resolution than if I had scaled the clip in Premiere?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Should I Scale in Premiere or Use Cameras in AE?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure I understand your workflow. If you want high quality scaling (without paying for a plugin), using the maximum quality settings in Premiere when you render is going to do a better job of scaling than pushing an AE camera towards your footage.

If you're using AE CC, the new Detail-preserving Upscale effect (in the 12.1.0 update) would do better than pushing an AE camera towards it too.

• 2. Re: Should I Scale in Premiere or Use Cameras in AE?
            Estarno1 Level 1

My workflow:

1) Edit basic cut in Premiere, leaving all motion alone, keeping it scaled at 100%

2) Dynamic link to AE for compositing (I'm using green screen), and creating different shots with camera layers (closeups, mediums, wide, etc.)

• 3. Re: Should I Scale in Premiere or Use Cameras in AE?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Personally, I wouldn't use Dynamic Link for that. I would lock the edit down and then import the Adobe Premiere Project into AE. That way I get each cut on a seperate layer. These can then be made into their own compositions for keying (the Trim Compose script from VCP does this nicely) or all keying work can be done in the main comp. But this way, each cut is easily seperated in AE.

Unless you're planning to output a final video that is smaller than the original footage, I would be very wary about zooming into a closeup with footage that was shot wide.

• 4. Re: Should I Scale in Premiere or Use Cameras in AE?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6
                My workflow:

1) Edit basic cut in Premiere, leaving all motion alone, keeping it scaled at 100%

2) Dynamic link to AE for compositing (I'm using green screen), and creating different shots with camera layers (closeups, mediums, wide, etc.)

This leads me to believe you're shooting wide shots only, and you want to use AE to create closeups by scaling shots far beyond 100%.  That's a bad work flow, from the very start. 

If you want wide, medium and tight shots, you should plan to SHOOT wide, medium and tight shots.  AE's capable of a certain amount of scaling up while retaining image quality.  It's good... up to a certain point.  But wide shot to tight shot?  AE can't work miracles.

Do yourself and your project a favor: re-shoot if necessary.

• 5. Re: Should I Scale in Premiere or Use Cameras in AE?
                  Estarno1 Level 1

Correct, we shot green screen at one wide shot. However, we're using a high resolution RED camera, so scaling in post isn't a problem and any loss in quality is negligible (we're not doing ECU's or anything). We've done this many times before with no problems, but I'm just trying out this new workflow.

However I think the footage should be scaled in Premiere rather than zoomed with an AE camera. My suscpicion is that if you zoom in with an AE camera, it is only zooming in on the 100% scaled (unscaled) footage from Premiere, so the quality will be less than if I just scaled the clip in Premiere, so that the clip will actually be scaled and not zoomed...if that makes sense.  

• 6. Re: Should I Scale in Premiere or Use Cameras in AE?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I think the footage should be scaled in Premiere rather than zoomed with an AE camera. 

Well, what's the delivery resolution?  HD?  You haven't said. 

But I don't understand why you feel the need to use an AE camera... do you need 3D work in AE?  If not, why not just keep the comp in 2D and scale in AE?

• 7. Re: Should I Scale in Premiere or Use Cameras in AE?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Heed Szalam's answer. If you want the best quality scaling, use the new Detail-preserving Upscale effect in After Effects.

• 8. Re: Should I Scale in Premiere or Use Cameras in AE?
                        Estarno1 Level 1

Shot in 1080, final delivery can be 720. No 3D work, but I prefer to do the key with Keylight in AE rather than the Ultra Key in Premiere.

I am still on CS6, so I don't have access to the new Detail-preserving Upscale effect in AE. Sounds good though.

Thanks all.

• 9. Re: Should I Scale in Premiere or Use Cameras in AE?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Then do the scaling in Premiere Pro.

Premiere Pro CS6 has better scaling than does After Effects CS6. That is reversed in the later versions.