5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 2:44 PM by Dave LaRonde

Restoring old projects using CC

learnbydoing1

Currently if a client comes back to me for an old job, all I need to do is open it in an older version. Or possibly bring it into newer software. This happens enough so that I'm concerened about how this is possible with CC.

How will I restore work I do today in CC 2014 later in 2016?  I can't keep a copy of CC, since in essence I have been just renting it. It expires if it is not connected to the internet.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Restoring old projects using CC
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The current version of AE is 12.2.0. When they go up to version 13, I'm sure it'll be a different installer and you will be able to keep version 12 on your system as well. Thus, as long as you're an active subscriber, you should be able to keep multiple versions. People do that now with CS6 and CC, so you should be fine.

Also, you should be able to open it in whatever new version you have in two years.

Hopefully an Adobe employee will come around to confirm at some point, but I wouldn't be concerned.

• 2. Re: Restoring old projects using CC
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Okay, now let's push the boundaries a bit.

You're a one-man shop, using Creative cloud.  You build up a small, but pretty respectable clientele.

Suddenly, a business opportunity comes up that you can't refuse -- let's say it's the restaurant business.  You close up your motion graphics business, and cancel CC.

Five years down the road, you relucantly tell yourself that you had a good run in the restaurant business, you gave it a good shot, but your heart still lies in motion graphics.  So you sell your part of the restaurant to your partner, you happily re-establish some good contacts with former clients, and re-subscribe to the cloud. 

Some of your clients' favorite work was done in AE 12.... but AE's up to version 15 or 16, and you have NONE of the interim versions.  What do you do then?

I get the feeling Adobe hasn't thought through scenarios like that. 

Or maybe such scenarios are of little concern to them because they represent such a small portion of their renters.

• 3. Re: Restoring old projects using CC
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

After Effects CC (12) can open projects going back a decade, from After Effects 7.0.

We have no intention of changing this behavior. So, when you have a hypothetical After Effects 15.0 in the future, it will be able to open projects as far back as possible. The only restrictions come if there's a major architectural change.

Also, a subscriber to Creative Cloud will always have access to previous versions, just like subscribers now can download and install CS6 versions. We have publicly committed to having at least five majors version back available to subscribers (so when After Effects 15.0 is out, version 11.0 can still be downloaded).

Dave, why do you say that we haven't thought these things through? I've mentioned these things before on forums where I know you're active.

• 4. Re: Restoring old projects using CC
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

We have publicly committed to having at least five majors version back available to subscribers (so when After Effects 15.0 is out, version 11.0 can still be downloaded).

There's the response I was hoping for! It's nice to see that Adobe is taking this sort of thing into consideration. Thanks again for all the work you guys do.

• 5. Re: Restoring old projects using CC
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

That's because I don't read EVERYTHING in a thread.  Nor each & every thread in a forum.  I plain missed it.  This is good to know.