2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 9:32 AM by harcnowhear

RAM Preview not playing back realtime fps in AE CC

harcnowhear

Hi eveyone

I'm having trouble with AE CC playing a RAM preview at a realtime framerate - it's lagging behind at random speeds. This is a short image sequence (of many more to come) My iMac just seems to struggle with this, I can't figure out why. Is this a Graphics card issue?? We have an older mac here which has an older card with more ram (1024 MB)  on the  card, which takes longer to render the preview (is that due to less system RAM?) But, plays back with a solid 30fps framerate no worries..Is this a problem with the particular Graphics Card on this iMac? There seems to be little info about this card that I can find with After Effects.

iMac Spec:

27" Mid 2011 iMac, Processor  2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory  32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB, Software  Mavericks OS X 10.9.1

Project task:

- I am  only previewing a short (15 sec) 1920 X 1080 image sequence (either TIFF or EXR) at 30 FPS. Ram preview going at around 20-28 fps: 'fps: 20.271 / 30.00 NOT realtime' 

- RAM Preview set to Full Res, 30 fps Frame Rate, Composition settings 30fps, footage 30fps

- tried lower quality settings, tried cropping video - same jerky framerate

- Even when video is rendered to a .Mov Lossless file the video is still juddery and appears to be dropping frames when played in Quick Time - VLC is better slightly.

System / Memory Preferences:

Ram shared by other apps: 4GB Ram reserved for AE: 28GB

After Effects Multiprocessing: ON Installed CPUs: 4 CPUs reserved for other apps: 2 RAM allocated per bg CPU: 6GB actual CPUs used: 2

Extra notes:

- Have tried with using less memory on the system, no diffeence - not a problem with the RAM in the iMac (which is above the recommended standard, I know, but works fine with everything)

- Running After Effects CC - no other programs running

- Works fine with other Mac we have - which is OSX Lion & After Effects 5.0 with ATI Radeon 5750 HD 1024MB Graphics Card.

- Had the same issues with After Effects 5.5

- Tried with After Effects 5.5 with Apple RAM 12GB no difference on this machine

- Monitored System CPU & GPU - no problem running at  CPU 25% & GPU 40-50%

Is anyone else having issues like this? Driving me mad!

Many Thanks

• 1. Re: RAM Preview not playing back realtime fps in AE CC
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

harcnowhear wrote:

- Even when video is rendered to a .Mov Lossless file the video is still juddery and appears to be dropping frames when played in Quick Time - VLC is better slightly.

That is to be expected (unless you have a RAID setup for your computer's hard drives). An uncompressed HD file has a data rate that is much too high for your hard drive to handle. If you take that high data rate file into the Adobe Media Encoder and render it into a deliverable format such as H.264, it should play back without issue. If this is the case (and I'm pretty sure it is), this is unrelated to your RAM preview issue.

What version of AE are you running? You say CC, but is it 12.2.0 or 12.1.0? If you haven't yet, update to the latest version; it fixes a lot of bugs.

Also, when you say you've been using AE version 5 and 5.5, do you mean CS5 (actually version 10) and CS5.5 (actually version 10.5) or do you really mean you're using the really old versions?

harcnowhear wrote:

We have an older mac here which has an older card with more ram (1024 MB)  on the  card, which takes longer to render the preview (is that due to less system RAM?)

Rendering speed usually has less to do with RAM and much more to do with the processor's clock speed. This is likely the difference.

Is this older Mac running CC or is this the older version you mentioned in the "Extra notes" section?

Have you tried updating the driver for the graphics card? The GPU has very little to do with rendering in AE (except for the Ray-Traced renderer, but that doesn't matter as you don't have an NVIDIA card), but it does have to do with AE's display of its playback.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RAM Preview not playing back realtime fps in AE CC
            harcnowhear Level 1

Hi Szalam, Cheers

I am running: Running After Effects CC 12.2.0.52

- I have just rendered out to a H.264, AAC .MP4 file and it is smoother (but still every 3 seconds stutters a little. - but much better than the uncompressed file so you are right about that being a separate issue to the RAM preview playback)

- For the other version tested on this iMac I have been using CS5.5 (version 10.5) not the old, old versions

- The older Mac is running After Effects CS5,  it is an intel 2.93 GHZ Core i7 so has a faster processor (which I’ve only just realised,  but is an older model mid 2010) it is slower to render, but plays back at normal speed and will play the exported video smoothly too.. But overall a better machine I think so I'll be swapping with my colleague soon when he's not looking : )

- As to updating the driver - I’m not if I actually can.. The AMD site only has a windows file: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

- Is it possible to update the driver on a Mac? only seems to have Windows support.

Cheers