3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 3:41 AM by Peter Spier

Indesign CS4 (idlk extention)

Freddy Heyse

By closing Indesign CS4 it makes allways automaticaly a file with an extention "idlk". By tree or more files with "idlk" the program stops.

I have quit every open program and restart the computer before i can re-open Indesign.

What can i do about it so that the file whit idlk won't making?

MAC OS 10.6.8

Thanks

Freddy

• 1. Re: Indesign CS4 (idlk extention)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

.idlk files are lock files that are created when a file is opened and they prevnet two users from accessing a file at the same time. If the file is closed properly the ;ock file should be deleted automatically.

If this is not what you are seeing, there is a configuration problem of some sort, or the ID program is damaged. There are reports that lock files are not properly deleted on some network configurations.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS4 (idlk extention)
            Freddy Heyse Level 1

Dear Peter,

thanks for the information,

Can we switch it out on any way?

gretings

Freddy Heyse

• 3. Re: Indesign CS4 (idlk extention)
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Please turn off or delete the autoquote when you reply by email....

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you mean by turn it off. Lock files are an important safety feature of InDesign and cannot be turned off. They should not linger, however, after a file is closed (it may take a moment for them to be deleted). It is very important that files are closed properly for this reason. Crashes or force quitting ID will leave the lock file behind and you can delete it manually.

I have seen reports of lock files not being properly deleted when documents are stored on network shares. This is a network problem, though, not something you can fix in ID. It may be related to the network protocols in use. I think a search here, or on google, for something like "lock files not deleted" would probably turn up more information.