14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 8:37 AM by acbeatty6

editing Autocad text

acbeatty6

I am new to Indesign CS6. I have been trying unsuccessfully to import/paste text from my Autocad.dwg file and use the Indesign text edit tools to format/edit them. Any advice?

• 1. Re: editing Autocad text
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

You can not edit directly in Indesign, any aspect (including text) of an imported graphic. This includes all import formats.

Copy and pasting text from other apps into Indesign is limited to highlighting text+copy and in ID, placing cursor in text frame+paste. Any other method results in an un-editable object.

• 2. Re: editing Autocad text
            acbeatty6 Level 1

Thanks for your response, I have Adobe Acrobat X Standard. Is there a way I can export into a .PDF file and then import this into InDesign?

• 3. Re: editing Autocad text

As long as exporting PDF from Autocad preserves text, and does not convert it to objects. Open PDF in Acrobat, then Save as > More Options > Plain Text. This text file can be imported into ID.

But, does Autocad preserve text in anything but it's native format?

• 4. Re: editing Autocad text
                acbeatty6 Level 1

Well this sort of worked but sort of didnt. I am able to import the .txt file but all the formatting is gone. All the lines justified to the left of the screen (see below). Any more ideas? Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Allan

01-17-14 9-02-00 AM.png

• 5. Re: editing Autocad text
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's difficult to offer advice without more context around exactly what you're attempting.

Generally speaking, AutoCAD and the Adobe apps speak different languages, particularly in the handling of text. As you've already seen, about the best you can hope to do is avert the need to retype by roundabout'ing the raw text into InDesign, where it can be formatted and edited, as you sought in your original post. You simply won't be able to transfer it with any of its AutoCAD formatting preserved.

• 6. Re: editing Autocad text
                    acbeatty6 Level 1

Yes, I was hoping to be able to take autocad drawings, import them into InDesign, do some minor editing and make PDF's that could be linked to our website. Sounds like this isnt doable from your response.

• 7. Re: editing Autocad text

Before you give up, try it with Illustrator (if you have it) instead of InDesign.

• 8. Re: editing Autocad text

That is the typical result of the method described "unformatted text". From Acrobat, try Save as > Microsoft Word. There are some additional settings like, "Retain Page Layout" that may help preserve some formatting once text arrives in ID.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: editing Autocad text
                          acbeatty6 Level 1

OK tried that. InDesign locked up - didnt like the file. I tried the 'retain Flowing text' option and that imported but only a couple of lines. Not sure what happened to the rest of the lines. Those 2 lines were formatted properly however. That was encouraging.

• 10. Re: editing Autocad text
                            acbeatty6 Level 1

No illustrator. I believe there is a Coraldraw software around but would rather not go there if possible.

• 11. Re: editing Autocad text

InDesign locked up - didnt like the file.

Try opening the MS Word (saved from Acrobat) into Word first, then save as, then import.

In all honesty, the unformatted text that you were able to salvage through this process would be considered a victory for most Indesign users. Keep in mind that any conversion process will require tweaking.

• 12. Re: editing Autocad text

Heh...understood.......but.......back a few years, (seems like a previous life), I used CorelDRAW regularly to bring AutoCAD content into my workflow, and it worked quite nicely.  I can't advise you on specifics of more recent versions, but I wouldn't count it out. Could be your solution.

• 13. Re: editing Autocad text

Jeffrey_Smith wrote:

In all honesty, the unformatted text that you were able to salvage through this process would be considered a victory for most Indesign users. Keep in mind that any conversion process will require tweaking.

I agree with this. In fact, I might prefer the raw text, assured there isn't any unseen markup or tagging that might muck up the works later.

• 14. Re: editing Autocad text
                                    acbeatty6 Level 1

Thanks guys, I called someone over that is good at word and it looks like the Word files just need a little editing before placing into ID. I will let you know if there are further breakthrus. If this ends up working out it will save loads of time. A tip for any other Autocad users that might be viewing this, do not use .SHX fonts. I changes over to True type.