7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 5:21 PM by Devilman

loss of Photoshop 7.0.exe

Devilman

Photoshop 7.0.exe has inexplicably disappeared from my PC - all other Photoshop files are present, as are complete ImageReady and Illustrator but actual Photoshop 7.0 gone?

Could this happen during an auto update?

• 1. Re: loss of Photoshop 7.0.exe
          Curt Y Level 7

There should be no updates to this program as it is 12? years old.

Look closely in Program files.

• 2. Re: loss of Photoshop 7.0.exe
            Devilman Level 1

true, it's of a certain vintage, but that didn't stop it automatically connecting to Adobe.com each and everytime it was opened and installation bars appeared...

as it's not longer supported I'm thinking more recently a conflicting update has rendered it redundant?

as far as the Photoshop 7.0 folder in Programs is concerned everything is there:

7 sub-folers inc. PShop plug-ins, a couple of dozen .dlls and the ImageReady.exe - just no Photoshop.exe

• 3. Re: loss of Photoshop 7.0.exe
              Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

What version of windows are you using?

If ImageReady opens, what happens if you click on the Jump to Photoshop button at the bottom of the toolbox?

Untitled-1.png

• 4. Re: loss of Photoshop 7.0.exe
                Devilman Level 1

XP

the 'jump' button is greyed-out and you get a no entry symbol when you hover over

• 5. Re: loss of Photoshop 7.0.exe
                  Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

It's hard to say what happened, it might even be that your virus scanner deleted the photoshop.exe

Probably a reinstall of photoshop 7 would be the best thing to do.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: loss of Photoshop 7.0.exe
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back in time, I had Ps 7, which was updated to 7.0.1 (IIRC), but everytime that I launched (used later CS versions more often, but kept Ps 7.0.1 for a reason), it did download and install several files. Those went by too quickly for me to detect exactly what they were, but there were many little updates. Never had any issue with Ps.EXE going away though. I did not notice such behavior with any later version.

I agree R_Kelly, in that some other program, maybe a Registry cleaner (?) might be behind the issue. I recall one, highly recommended "cleaning" program, that had a hate-on for many things Adobe. I used it once, and then quickly deleted it. Fortunately, I had a System Restore, and with a Repair Install, fixed the evil that the program wrought upon my computer.

Good luck, and hope that the Repair Install, or Reinstall fixes things for you.

Hunt

• 7. Re: loss of Photoshop 7.0.exe
                      Devilman Level 1

a reinstall for sure, unfortunately the 10-y-o disc is currently eluding me...