8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 3:55 PM by Bo LeBeau

How to export a PDF including all of the borders?

Nathan Towle Level 1

I am very new to InDesign.  I have only used it a handful of times and am unfamiliar with setting up pages.  I was given a file and I have to export it.

The problem is that, when I export it as a PDF, a small part of the image is cut off on each page.  I have attached an image showing this.

The outermost red "border" does not export.  Only the black "border" and everything inside the black border export.  I want to export everything, including the parts of the image included in the outermost red border.

It is only about .125," but it is part of the bleed area, and if it doesn't export, everything is too close to the edge.  Does anyone know how to export everything, including the outermost red border?  I apologize if this is obvious.  I am just not well acquainted yet with the program.  Thank you very much in advanced.

Operating System: Mac OS X (10.9)

InDesign Version: CS6

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 3.26.21 PM.png

• 1. Re: How to export a PDF including all of the borders?
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

On Export Adobe PDF>Marks and Bleeds>Bleed define the top/bottom/left/right

• 2. Re: How to export a PDF including all of the borders?
            Daniel Flavin Level 4

The black border does not export, by default. Acrobat may show the same border, but it is not part of the file in any way.

You seem to grasp that everything beyond the black border is "bleed" allowance and is intended to be scrap, off-cut after production/trimming.

The area within the red border is your defined bleed, but you can increase or decrease that amount during the export process.

That being said, you can choose to include "Visable Lines and Baseline Grids" from the General tab of the Export dialog.

I'm not sure how they are handled in the pdf, I expect they are Printing as opposed to non-printing and I think you should consider NOT including them.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to export a PDF including all of the borders?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The black line is the edge of the page as set in Document Setup. The red line is the Bleed allowance. If you want the bleed to show in your PDF (because it is going to the printer) you need to set it in the Marks and Bleeds section of the Export dialog.

• 4. Re: How to export a PDF including all of the borders?
                Nathan Towle Level 1

Thanks everyone!  And just like that, the problem is solved.

I believe Daniel was a little confused.  I didn't mean that I wanted the red and black borders to be visible on the export, but just the content within those borders.  I apologize for that confusion.

All I had to do was adjust that bleed amount in the export settings.  I thought I tried that earlier, but I must have missed something, because it worked this time.  Thanks again for all of your help!

• 6. Re: How to export a PDF including all of the borders?
                  Bo LeBeau Level 4

You mentioned: It is only about .125," but it is part of the bleed area, and if it doesn't export, everything is too close to the edge.

The .125" bleed will be cut off, so if you think some elements are too close to the edge when the bleeds are NOT exported, you will still have the same appearance when the bleeds ARE exported because the bleeds are meant to be cut off at the document (trim) edges.

• 7. Re: How to export a PDF including all of the borders?
                    Nathan Towle Level 1

Bo LeBeau wrote:

You mentioned: It is only about .125," but it is part of the bleed area, and if it doesn't export, everything is too close to the edge.

The .125" bleed will be cut off, so if you think some elements are too close to the edge when the bleeds are NOT exported, you will still have the same appearance when the bleeds ARE exported because the bleeds are meant to be cut off at the document (trim) edges.

Although that is true, I am uploading the image to a website, where you can preview the file before it is printed.  Without the bleed, the website automatically creates a new bleed, using the final trim size, so everything is closer to the edge.

When I export it with the correct bleed and upload it to the site, it is correctly displayed, if that makes sense.

• 8. Re: How to export a PDF including all of the borders?
                      Bo LeBeau Level 4

You can use InDesign to preview how your document will appear after trimming.

Without any tool selected, press W on your keyboard and InDesign will hide the bleeds, margins, guides, slugs and pastboard and show only the final document trim size against a gray background. Press W again to restore the normal view.