8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2017 5:00 PM by Siabmvm

AE CC timeline lag & not realtime preview (Win7 GTX Titan)

Fritz71

As of a few days ago I'm suddenly experiencing lag when navigating around, scrubbing the timeline (as in cursor movement), using keyboard shortcuts, drag selecting keyframes etc.

Also RAM preview occasionally shows a red warning its not playing back in realtime.

This is a pretty new system that I'm only starting to use in anger and all has seemed fine until a few days ago, and I haven't updated anything to my knowledge.

I've an SSD for system disk, dedicated SSD for AE cache, 2 x HDD (1 for projects, 1 to render to).

I've deleted my preferences and purged all the cache several times and still have issues.

A new empty project seems fine, but if I make a new comp and add a new layer it starts to lag if I CTRL-D duplicate the layers (after about 20) and try to CTRL-A and expand a property (e.g position P)

As I say I've been working on a few proejct with lots of layers over the past month and not experienced the lag (though I have the red RAM preview warning)

I'm baffled as everything has seemed fine until very recently and I'm not aware of updating anything prior to noticing this issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Specs:

AE CC 12.2.0.52

Hardware:

Win7 Pro

CPU - i7-4930K 3.40Ghz

32GB RAM

GTX Titan 6GB Driver 332.21

Fast Draft:Available
      Texture Memory:2422.00 MB
      Ray-tracing:GPU

OpenGL

Vendor:NVIDIA Corporation
      Device:GeForce GTX TITAN/PCIe/SSE2
      Version:2.1.2
      Total Memory:5.91 GB
      Shader Model:4.0 or later

CUDA

Driver Version:6.0
      Devices:1 (GeForce GTX TITAN)
      Current Usable Memory:5.72 GB (at application launch)
      Maximum Usable Memory:6.00 GB
        • 1. Re: AE CC timeline lag & not realtime preview (Win7 GTX Titan)
          Fritz71 Level 1

Update: as a test I installed AE CS6 (after I'd finally managed to locate the download link!) and initial tests don't result in the same problems as CC. (This is both with and without the CS6 raytracer file modified to accept the Titan).

I can easily replicated the problem in CC:

1) New comp (1920x1080)

2) New solid layer - scrub timeline back and forth, fine no lag.

3) Duplicate layer - scrub timeline back and forth, fine no lag.

4) Duplicate layer a few more times - scrub timeline back and forth, start to notice lag

5) Repeat duplicate layer and I'll start getting delay in the duping process.

6) Get to about 30 layers and lag increases - scrub timeline back and forth, noticeable lag.

7) CTRL-A (delay), P (delay), click for keyframe (delay) scrub timeline back and forth, noticeable lag.

This has now made CC pretty unusable, but it was fine (bar occasional slow RAM preview playback) a few days ago!

Please don't tell me I have to roll back to CS6....

Is this the right place to report this issue? Anyone?

• 2. Re: AE CC timeline lag & not realtime preview (Win7 GTX Titan)
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like you need to empty your cache. How is your disk space?

• 3. Re: AE CC timeline lag & not realtime preview (Win7 GTX Titan)
              Fritz71 Level 1

I've emptied my cache several times, deleted my preferences, etc.

Cache is on a dedicated 256GB SSD, size currently set to 128GB and is showing about 16GB full at present....

• 4. Re: AE CC timeline lag & not realtime preview (Win7 GTX Titan)
                Spybreak

I am having the same issue. I recently migrated to Windows from OS X and never had a similar issue.

I'm on a dual Xeon system, 64gb of RAM, AE is installed on a Samsung EVO SSD and the cache is on a separate SSD.

Creating a new comp works fine, even next to the one that slows down, but as soon as I start adding layers, the UI of the comp layers window slows to a crawl. It doesn't seem to be a disk or CPU issue, but more of a UI/GPU thing.

I have tried resetting my preferences and even changing the cache drive, but no change. The only thing I've been doing the last couple of days is installing new fonts, but I find it odd that it would cause something like this.

• 5. Re: AE CC timeline lag & not realtime preview (Win7 GTX Titan)
                  Fritz71 Level 1

I just found this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5500732#5500732

from way back in July about this on Win7. I'm on latest update 12.2.0.52 and suffering issues.

(The Windows Pen/Tablet service wasn't running so don't think its that).

Currently CC is increasingly unusable so forced to go back to CS6, mass plugin install here we go... 

• 6. Re: AE CC timeline lag & not realtime preview (Win7 GTX Titan)
                    Opal

I have been using after effects on my WIndows 8 platform to develop introductions for videos I have uploaded on my business webpage http://www.opalrelocations.com.au.

However, I am also finding that the tool is becoming increasingly slow to use forcing me to find alternate programs.

Does after effects have a memory leak or something that is keeping hold of memory causing this to happen?

Are there anyways I can free up memory whilst using the tool without completely shutting everything down?

• 7. Re: AE CC timeline lag & not realtime preview (Win7 GTX Titan)
                      Fritz71 Level 1

Just an update to bump this and see if anyone has any ideas from symptoms below....?

Have installed 12.2.1.5 update and no change.

Tried turning off 'Show Cache Indicators' (as seen on another post), no change.

However on a simple 1920x1080 comp with 20 black solid layers, (no effects) I experience:

If I turn OFF 'Live update' the timeline UI scrubbing/cursor seems fine.

If I turn in back ON, it all slows down again, even with no layers turned on.

If I have CAPS LOCK on timeline UI scrubbing is fine, even with layers on.

Using shortcuts 'CTRL-A' , cursor dragging to select keyframes,etc seems slightly delayed irrespective of caps lock/Live update

This seems to me to point towards a video issue, yet CS6 UI runs fine, no lag at all.

Any ideas?

• 8. Re: AE CC timeline lag & not realtime preview (Win7 GTX Titan)
                        Siabmvm

Im having the exact same issue, it has happened to me once before but what I did was completely reinstall after effects CC and it fixed the problem for a while but just the other day it came back.