21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 3:32 PM by descotes

Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7

descotes Level 1

Hello,

I am not a technical person so I don't really understand all the "big words" per se.

I got my movies converted to a DVD from a company and they sent it to me in an mp4 format which I thought I could just import into Premiere and start to edit.  Well that didn't work.  Trying to figure out how to import it so I could edit it.  I know if I convert it through something the quality will go down.

I don't know anything about codecs but it says the Video Codec is LEAD H264 Decoder (3.0) and the Audio codec is LEAD AAC Decoder. 

Hope that helps and someone out there could help me.

Stacy

• 1. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Stacy,

Do you have the latest version of Apple's QuickTime Player installed? That should accommodate MP4 w/ the H.264 CODEC and Import into PrE.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying your DVD files are using the H264 codec or that you tried to convert it to an H264 file?

• 3. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
              descotes Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.  I have Apple Quicktime version 7.7.4.  How would I get it from there to import to PrE?

Stacy

• 4. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                descotes Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for helping.  I guess they're using the H264 codec.  I don't really know what that means.  When I clicked on the files from the DVDs I got that's what it said in the properties.

Stacy

• 5. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Stacy

Given you have files with .mp4 file extensions on a DVD disc for storage purposes.

And, you want to use these files in a Premiere Elements 7 Windows project. What do you

mean by

I thought I could just import into Premiere and start to edit.  Well that didn't work.

How did it not work?

a. When you opened Premiere Elements 7 and went to Get Media/Files and Folders/ did you

get an error message that prevented you from going further?

b. If you imported your file into Organize/Media, did you have a problem after you dragged your video to the Timeline view Timeline or the Sceenline view Filmstrip?

or

c. Was the issue some place else?

Backing up a little, how did you attempt to import the .mp4 from the DVD disc to Premiere Elements 7?

a. Copy file from disc and paste to desktop from where you used Premiere Elements Get Media/Files and Folder?

b. User Premiere Elements 7's Get Media/"DVD(Camcorder or PC DVD Drive)"/Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader?

Once we sort out the above, then I would like to learn more about the properties of your files. Right now we know only that they are .mp4 files that use video compression = LEAD H.264 and audio compression = LEAD AAC. Do you know what we have here...720 x 480 4:3 or 720 x 480 16:9 Widescreen or something else?

Please review the above and do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything written.

At this point, I am not sure if the problem is related to how you imported that video into Premiere Elements 7 or the properties of the video itself (original or some possible modification of the original).

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                    descotes Level 1

Hi ATR,

Wow... Ok, I will try to answer those questions

I imported the file into PE and then when I dragged it to the timeline I tried to do scene selection so I could break it down and edit and it wouldn't work.  Then I tried to see if I could watch the video and ... this is not easy to explain .. but it wasn't the whole video.  It was like 2 seconds and you couldn't see anything.  So I guess the answer to your first question is B.

The answer to your second question is also B.  It told me to use the media downloader to get the file in so that's how I did it.

In the properties of the file it says this: 640 x 480.

Does that help?

• 7. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Stacy,

Thanks for the news on Apple's QT Player. That should get a good version of the H.264 CODEC installed on your system.

It appears that you have a DVD-Data disc, with the files in MP4 format. So long as you have a good H.264 CODEC, that should not be an issue, but it sounds like it is.

As a test, I would Copy one of those MP4 files from the disc, to your computer's HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and then Open a New Project in PrE. In PrE 7, I would choose the NTSC DV Preset for now, and then Import that MP4 from the computer's HDD. If you get any error messages, please make note of them, and let us know exactly what they say.

As another test, with that MP4 file on the HDD, Dbl-click on it, and it should Open and play in QT Player.

As for the reference to "Lead H.264" should not be an issue, but we'll keep that in the back of our minds, just in case. Lead sells an H.264 CODEC, and some will use it (or the one from MainConcept), in lieu of the one from Apple. Unlike some other CODEC's, such as MJPEG, the H.264 CODEC does not seem to be that critical, as about any, work well with most files. There is almost zero tweaking with the H.264 CODEC, as it is very standardized.

Please let us know how those two tests work, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Stacy,

I did not see this Reply, until I had posted my request for tests:

I imported the file into PE and then when I dragged it to the timeline I tried to do scene selection so I could break it down and edit and it wouldn't work.

It appears that you CAN Import the MP4, into PrE 7. That pretty much precludes an issue with the CODEC.

You can ignore my requests for the first test, so you are beyond where I thought you were. Does the second test, the playing of the file in Apple's QT Player play the full file well?

Good luck, and sorry that I got side-tracked. Hope that I did not waste your time with the first test.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Stacy

Thanks for the reply.

I will wait and watch for your reply to Hunt's post numbered 7. I think that we are on the same wavelength at this junction.

As he wrote

As a test, I would Copy one of those MP4 files from the disc, to your computer's HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and then Open a New Project in PrE. In PrE 7, I would choose the NTSC DV Preset for now, and then Import that MP4 from the computer's HDD. If you get any error messages, please make note of them, and let us know exactly what they say.

I would tack on to that

a. Beforehand, explore the DVD disc to see how many .mp4 files are on it.

b. Determine what the duration is for each file before it ever sees Premiere Elements.

c. Then we can determine how much is missing after each file gets imported into Premiere Elements via its Get Media/Files and Folders.

I do not think that it is the Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader that is messing you up here. But, the answers will be in the results where you bypass the Media Downloader with the copy from disc/paste to desktop/import from desktop into Premiere Elements scheme.

Looking forward to your results. Remember any clarification needed along the way, please do not hesitate to ask.

Depending on how things go, we should explore

when I dragged it to the timeline I tried to do scene selection so I could break it down and edit and it wouldn't work.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                            descotes Level 1

You guys are awesome!  Ok so I copied it to my desktop and I played a little of the video in Apple QT and that did work.  Should I try importing it to Adobe PE again?

• 11. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                              descotes Level 1

well I figured while I was waiting I would try to import it from my desktop to adobe.  It looks like it's in there but when I go to play it the scroller button... if you will... not sure what to call it, goes really fast and there's jumbled audio and it seems to loop.  Not sure how old you guys are but I would attribute it to like a old record that skips,

• 12. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Stacy

I am not completely sure of all the properties of your file, but, as a first pass at this,

a. Open Premiere Elements , and set the project preset in the New Project Dialog to

NTSC

DV

Standard

that is going to be assuming that you have 4:3 video

Import your file from its hard drive save location via Premiere Elements 7's Get Media/Files and Folders.

Drag the file to the Timeline (for now work in the Timeline rather than Sceneline to be better able to see what is going on.

Does the video fill the monitor space? If not, you may have Widescreen 16:9 video instead of Standard 4:3 video. If that is the case, you could start a new project with

NTSC

DV

Widescreen

Is there a red line over the Timeline content? If so, press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard. That "renders" the Timeline content so that you get the best possible preview of what you have.

IMPORTANT:

a. What is the video and audio quality of the playback of this rendered Timeline content?

b. Do you have the full duration of the video clip or do you have only a part of it? Judge that only on the duration of the video clip before and after it got into Premiere Elements. It could turn out that the person who put this together for you might have continued the footage at the end of one segment at the beginning of another segment that was stored on the DVD.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 13. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Stacy,

When you are ready for playback,

a. Make sure no colored line over Timeline OR a green line. If you see red, the hit the Enter key of the computer main keyboard. the red line will turn green signifying that you are getting the best possible preview.

b. A red line could mean that we have not set the correct project preset, so we might need to work on that. Did you get the whole video imported...no only 2 seconds of 2 minutes or such?

ATR

• 14. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                                    descotes Level 1

Ok, Im used to working in sceneline and not timeline so I'm trying to follow your instructions.  I imported it in.  I switched to sceneline and put the file in.  It did fill the monitor space and there was a red line so I hit enter.

Its been going for about 3 minutes or so.  It says Rendering 0.00% and then underneath it says Progress:  Rendering 1 of 2 video previews.  Estimated time ---

Honestly it doesn't look like it's really doing anything but the clock is ticking.

What is the video and audio quality of the playback of this rendered Timeline content?

I am not sure where to find this information you are asking for

Do you have the full duration of the video clip or do you have only a part of it?

I am not sure how to tell that either.  It looks like I have the full thing but I can't see it through adobe so I'm not sure

Still says 0.00%

• 15. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                                      descotes Level 1

Not sure if this is relevant or not but a lot of time I have Adobe PrE open it crashes on me and I have to restart it.  It's always done that and I've always just blamed it on my crappy computer.

• 16. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Stacy

First let us take a look at what you have for video according to Premiere Elements 7.

After you have imported your video clip into the project and you see its thumbnail in the Organize (Blue) section, click on the Edit (Orange) header and then on the Project tab in the row below.

You should now see a thumbnail for your video in the Project sector. Right click the thumbnail for your video there and select Properties. What does it show for:

Image Size

Frame Rate

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Total Duration

Also, go to the hard drive save location for the original of this video. At that location, click on the thumbnail once to select it, and then wave your mouse cursor over the video thumbnail. You should see a pop up showing

Item Type

Size

Length

Among other things, let us see if the Length there matches up with the Total Duration of the video once imported into Premiere Elements 7.

You wrote

What is the video and audio quality of the playback of this rendered Timeline content?

I am not sure where to find this information you are asking for

Here all you do is hit the play button on the Edit Mode monitor and watch the playback of the Timeline content that you just rendered to get the best preview for.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                                          descotes Level 1

In Adobe:

Image Size - 640 x 480

Frame Rate - 90,000.00

Pixel Aspect Ratio - 1.0

Total Duration - 00;00;02;18

When I did the 2nd part I clicked on the desktop and hovered over it.  All it says is

Type: Windows Media Player

Size; 1.88 GB

Date modified: Jan 8

When I played it in QT player like you originally said to do, it looks like the video goes to 2:11 but the content stops at about 1:20.

• 18. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Stacy

Thanks for the replies and checking out the information.

As is, it is not look good.

Image Size 640 x 480 seems reasonable with the Pixel Aspect Ratio = 1.0. You have 4:3 video, and it would appear that the NTSC DV Standard choice is our best selection for now although it is not perfect (red line to be expected over Timeline and rendering needed).

But, that frame rate is out of sight. So, let us double check that in the video's Properties in the Project media area. Also, as a check of that, let us explore "Interpret Footage" and what it show for Frame Rate Section "Use Frame Rate from File" in the Interpret Footage dialog. To get to Interpret Footage, right click the video thumbnail in Project the way you did for Properties, but, instead of selecting Properties, select Interpret Footage.

I am also concerned that you are not getting the whole video into the project. So, we need to get a better handle on that. The 00;00;02;18 from the Premiere Elements Properties is telling us we have only 2 seconds and 18 frames duration (about 2.6 seconds).

When you checked out the duration of the video saved to the desktop, was that the information posted for that one file that you imported into the project? If so, even with the unexpected missing file duration, the file size of 1.88 GB would suggest that you are getting only a small portion of the video into the project. So, it would appear that same type of result if from DVD to program via Media Downloader or if copy/paste of file from DVD to computer desktop to import Premiere Elements.

How many files are on that DVD? And, is each an .mp4 file with a file size of about 2 GB?

Please check out the details above, and we will think about what next in the morning. If there is anything along the way that you do not understand please let me know and I will rewrite if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                                              descotes Level 1

Hi,

Here is the interpret footage data

Capture1.JPG

Here is the properties data

Capture2.JPG

That 2.6 seconds sounds right as thats how fast it was going and over quickly.

Each DVD has 2 mp4 files and they are both approx 2 GB each

• 20. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

descotes

Thanks for those screenshots. That is one wild screenshot.

Either Premiere Elements cannot recognize the frame rate correctly or there are major problems with your source media. The later may be the case if QuickTIme is having problems with this footage also.

Let us take a closer look at what is going on with your video clip and QuickTime.

You wrote

When I played it in QT player like you originally said to do, it looks like the video goes to 2:11 but the content stops at about 1:20.

Please go back and play your video in QuickTime. While this is happening, go to QuickTime's Window Menu/Show Movie Inspector. What does it say there for:

Movie FPS

Player FPS

Duration

Let us see if that gives us any clues to help in the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 21. Re: Video file help for Adobe Premiere Elements 7
                                                  descotes Level 1

Sorry I have been MIA for a couple of days.  Here is the information from QT.  The Playing FPS keeps changing but the rest is the same.

Capture4.JPG

I just won an inexpensive video camera on ebay so I may just use that instead of what this dumb company sent me and just capture all the video from the tapes I have.  It'll take longer but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to import these discs they sent.

I really appreciate all of the time you took to help me out!