Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A required file could not be written due to insufficient permissions

Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have removed older version of Flash Player to install Flash Player 12. I tried clean install multiple times I still get the same error. "A required file (C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe:5) could not be written due to insufficient permissions."

I did right click and run as administrator (I am user admin also). I'm using Windows 7 64bit - Firefox 26 - Trying to install Flash Player 12.0 - I'm not sure if it matters but I'm running bitdefender.

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download this file: TakeOwnership.zip

Unzip it and double click the TakeOwnership.reg file it contains.

Click "Yes" and "OK" to add the TakeOwnership to your Registry and Windows Shell.

From here on, you cna take "root level" ownership (full permissions) of ANY file or folder on your system with a right click.

In the "Computer" window, right click your C drive and select "Take Ownership".

A command prompt windows will open as new permissions are applied to everything in the C drive. (This will take some time depending on how many apps and files you have)

Once it finishes, run the installer again. You should see no error messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded the file earlier.

For some reason I can't find the option "Take Ownership" when I right click on the C drive on my computer. However I can find the option when I right click on other folders. Is there a way to work around this? Should I take ownership of each file in C drive manually? or is there a reason why I cant see this option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the C drive, take ownership of the Program Files (x86) and Windows folders.

That may or may not help, because the installer writes files to the "C/temp" folder which only appears during the install. Hence the suggestion to take ownership of the entire drive. You can't take ownership of a hidden folder that is only created for the install.

You may also want to check the Security settings (permissions) for your C drive.

7.jpg

You should have FULL access and control to modify and write to the drive. Even as an admin this may not be the case by default. As you can see, my admin accoiunt has two listings and the user doesn't have full access.

8.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly it didnt work. Took ownership of Program Files (x86) and Windows. I checked the security settings I do have full control checked on my user. I still get the same error.

Is there another reason why I'm still getting this error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does it do if you create a new (admin) account and try the install under that account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same error under that account. "A required file (C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe:5) could not be written due to insufficient permissions."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got OS problems. The ONLY place I've seen this (especially where it's unfixable) is Win 7 64 bit. 32 bit doesn't do it, and neither do Vista or 8.

As a last ditch, you can try a System File Check (SFC)

Start>Run (or press the Windows key + R) and type "sfc /scannow" (minus the quotes and WITH a space between sfc and /scannow)

Let it run, and it should identify and repair any system file errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mike M.

Read your article and I also am unable to install Flash Player ActiveX on my XP PRO, SP3; although I do not have the specific "permissions" issue mentioned here ( all though, as a check I did install and run the SubInACL .exe command line tool).

I thought you might be able to offer suggestions I have not tried.

When I run the  http:// helpx.adobe.com/fash-player.html  check I receive the "flash payer is either not installed or enabled" error.

Here is what I have done:

Note, on the first or second trouble shooting I did get Flash Player to run.  I turned off laptop, but the next day after boot up, Flash Player showed the same "flash payer is either not installed or enabled" error.  Have not been able to fix.

IE8, manage add-ons and show all add-ons shows Flash Player version 12 as installed and enabled.  A check of the IE security settings for all zones shows scripting and Active X is enabled.

Control panel, add remove programs shows Flash Player ver. 12 as installed.

Cleared the macromed directory in System32 Windows folder.

I have run the Adobe uninstaller and Revo Uninstall a couple of times and then reinstalled.  Same error when I run "…. fash-player.html”.

As you suggested in this post, I have run the SFC  /scannow. SCF did access the original XP PRO SP3 CD several times, but completed with no complaints after about 10 minutes (getting SFC to successfully read the CD was another adventure).

Question:  Is there any way to know the specific error that the " http:// helpx.adobe.com/fash-player.html  program finds when it reports the "flash payer is either not installed or enabled" error?  That might give a clue where to look.

As you can see, I am stumped as what to do next.  Would appreciate any advice or tips on what troubleshooting I have missed, or what to do next.

Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines