12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 5:21 AM by tristansummers

Mounting SSDs in z820???

tristansummers Level 1

Hello all.

i am looking for guidance on where and how to use SSDs in a z820.

I want 4 Raid 0 footage/renders with a separate SSD cache and separate system.

do you have to use HP mounts, or are there other options?

What speeds are natively on the internal slots, and the external slots?

i think some are 3Gbs only?

Do you need to get another raid card?

HP do a 4 drive housing for the external slot. Is this a good idea?

(15 year mac switcher lost in Pc world)

Tris

• 1. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
          Alex - DV411 Level 2

i am looking for guidance on where and how to use SSDs in a z820.

I want 4 Raid 0 footage/renders with a separate SSD cache and separate system.

do you have to use HP mounts, or are there other options?

HP do a 4 drive housing for the external slot. Is this a good idea?

I assumed you already googled around and seen HP workstations and SFF drives as well as relevant threads on HP forums?

The 4-in-1 is OK - not great: fans are noisy, activity lights not very legible - but it's better than the other options: front access, activity lights. I haven't yet seen something that is better made.

What speeds are natively on the internal slots, and the external slots?

There aren't "external" SATA or SAS ports - only internal, where some can be designated as "eSATA" - with lower (1.5Gbs) speeds. This shouldn't be relevant here - you only want to use regular SAS/SATA ports.

Z820 has two SATA 6G, four SATA 3G and eight SAS 6G ports. I'd recommend putting the OS on an SSD connected to SATA 6G, and the rest - SAS 6G.

Do you need to get another raid card?

You may - depends what speeds you want / need to achieve. The on-board controller isn't known for being very fast, especially with multiple drives.

LSI 9240-8i, 9361-8i and other "8i" controllers are good options for the Z820.

Hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
            cc_merchant Level 4

I assumed you already googled around and seen HP workstations and SFF drives as well as relevant threads on HP forums?

Shows how much HP charges for what could be had for around € 50. See http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=114 and http://ppbm7.com/index.php/news/the-price-tag

• 3. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
              Alex - DV411 Level 2

Shows how much HP charges...

If that's what you're looking for - perhaps. The OP wasn't looking for that, far as I could tell.

Let's also remember that every HP accessory comes with the warranty that the main workstation carries: 3 years on-site - or more. To some, it's worth the extra dough. Some others scream bloody murder and "waste of money" simply because they can't comprehend what might be valuable to someone else. Yet the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

• 4. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
                cc_merchant Level 4

From your link:

Enter HP 4-in-1 SFF (2.5in) HDD Carrier (P/N B8K60AA) retailing for $139 and what really is Icy Dock MB994SP-4S. Says so on the label.

and the normal price is around € 50 and comes with 3 year warranty.

Let's also remember that every HP accessory comes with the warranty that the main workstation carries: 3 years on-site - or more. To some, it's worth the extra dough. Some others scream bloody murder and "waste of money" simply because they can't comprehend what might be valuable to someone else.

So the beauty is € 50 from Icy Dock or $ 139 from HP.

The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

• 5. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
                  tristansummers Level 1

Hi thanks everyone, and apologies as I am sure this has been asked before, I just couldn't find it.

This is literally day 1 of my PC experience. Any good references for mac switchers would be appreciated. A PC Barefeats equivalent would be good.

And I think there may be a mac keyboard hack...

I have ordered a refurb 820 from 3rd party reseller,so I don't get on site warranty etc.

It has not even arrived yet, so day minus one.

My terminology inaccuracy, I didn't mean external, I meant the 5.25" bays.

My googling had found the Hp mounts, but not that link. I did not know the term SFF. The dv411 link is very useful.

A tool less front  system could act as a good drop off point for ssd media.

I presume you just then pick which controler to attach to.

I should have done more icydock research before buying HP ssd mounts at £50 each but you win some you lose some.

To ensure 6g speeds, I need to connect to the sas controller at the bottom, so I may have to buy and move cabling. Not sure how it will be set up by default.

So 4 drive media raid in the 4 standard bays with system and scratch in the 5.25 bays, so I need some sort of icydock type cage. Then I need to get the right cable lengths and connect to the 2 6g ahci controllers. the dvd drive may be attached to one already, so move that to  the slower hcu controller.

Will test the internal raid before losing a PCI slot to a megaraid.

And then i can go back to wondering how hard it is to add gpu support to an exisiting K4000 having rejected Maximus as not really "adobpriate"

Tris

(mostly after effects this century, needs to learn4D, misses FcP)

• 6. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
                    tristansummers Level 1

Speed wise I am aiming for around 800, ideally over 1000 but not vital

was thinking initially of 2 drives, but if the controller is slow, I can compensate  by adding another drive. So 4 should be easily enough for live storage.

If I can get the system and scratch in one front bay and be able to switch out large Hdds in the other it should be fine for me. I don't need much nearfield storage for motion graphics. I am not an editor. My mac pro had a 5 barracuda Raid internally that was just about fast enough. But am looking tomstep by step increase speed on this machine. save up for iofx scratch and extra gpus for resolve. ( sorry, bit off my own thread)

Tris, London, wishes AE had default  colour concatenation and sync scaling and an actual disc cache...

• 7. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
                      cc_merchant Level 4

If you are new to the PC world, try these articles by Harm:

Planning a NLE System and all the other pages there.

Tweakers Page and all the other articles there.

You might pick up a few tidbits here and there that can help.

• 8. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
                        Alex - DV411 Level 2

A tool less front  system could act as a good drop off point for ssd media.

Alas the 4-in-1 (HP or Icy Dock) is only tool-less if the drives are permanently attached to trays. Need screws (and a screwdriver) to mount drives in trays.

Another alternative: Supermicro CSE-M14T (also in black) - improved cable management, better made yet also suffers from a noisy fan, apparently.

For quick single drive attach / detach scenarios, I'd look not at these units but USB 3.0 or eSATA (or Thunderbolt, soon-ish) drive docks. The 4- or 6-in-1 docks don't support eSATA on their own, you'd have to fiddle with Z820 BIOS settings to set certain SATA ports as eSATA (to enable "ejectability" of the drive) - on regular SATA and SAS ports yanking the drives (forced eject) may result in data corruption, however rarely.

And then i can go back to wondering how hard it is to add gpu support to an exisiting K4000 having rejected Maximus as not really "adobpriate"

Not hard at all - a matter of editing or renaming a text GPU config file.

• 9. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Alex, I am using several Supermicro 2.5 inch units with SSD's.  Because of the much lower power consumption I just remove the fans and everything works great.  You have to jumper the backplane to stop the alarm.

• 10. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
                            Alex - DV411 Level 2

Thanks Bill, didn't realize you were using those.

How do you like them in terms of build quality - other than the fan and alarm thing?

• 11. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I love them! 

The only problem I have had is when after several years of use, I went to order some more empty caddies is that Supermicro reuses the same part numbers when they do something to improve the design.  Because of this I had to return the new generation part and get the old the preceeding part number verbally from Supermicro and reorder.  I think the current advertised part is now the fourth generation.  They had no problem shipping me the preceeding generation.  I also have the full height 8 bay module.

• 12. Re: Mounting SSDs in z820???
                                tristansummers Level 1

Hmm. I still can't get this to work.

I have the cable from LSI port 0 now on the 6gSATA port and can boot from that.

I have built the logical 3000 RAID 0 in the LSI bios Ctrl-C page, though sometimes it did not seem to have built the volume properly.

But it does not show up in Windows.

Do I also need to build a RAID in Windows?

Have searched again to no avail. The LSI and the HP manual just say to build it on the card BIOS screen.

I have tried reformatting the 2 SSDs (Samsung 840 Pro 512GB)