4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 9:57 AM by Laubender

theres an opportunity to RESIZE all linked images to 100% of the frame?

PESCH

Theres some third party plugins, but i dont find one which works well and support layered psd for example. i think its a basic function and it should have an native way to do that.

thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: theres an opportunity to RESIZE all linked images to 100% of the frame?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@RTtijan – there might be some free scripts around doing that…

If I get it right you are looking for a tool that would:

1. Not change the visible parts of an image placed

2. Set the image size to 100%

3. Change the effective resolution

The solution would imply a tour from InDesign to PhotoShop (changing the effective DPI, not the pixels) and back to InDesign…

Uwe

• 2. Re: theres an opportunity to RESIZE all linked images to 100% of the frame?
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's a very old school way of achieving things - namely Quark.

In the past it was necessary to resize all images to 100% @ the desired resolution.

InDesign gives 2 resolution views in the Window>Info panel for each image.

Actuall PPI and Effective PPI

Actual shows the actual amount of PPI - and Effective PPI shows the PPI of the image after scaling .

When you export the file to PDF you can choose the Compression of the image to any DPI you would like.

This means the same file can be used for

Newspapers

Brochures

Magazines

High-End print finishing

Each of the above have a unique LPI - which determines the optimum resoultion.

This way you don't end up with 4 different files for the same job.

Or worse - 16 incarations of the same image at different sizes for different outputs.

• 3. Re: theres an opportunity to RESIZE all linked images to 100% of the frame?
              PESCH Level 1

thanks to advance.

@Eugene - yes, but for correct sharpening i need the image in the original print size with 300dpi. 

The PDF export set die resolution to 300dpi but it doesn't sharp the image after resize. so i wanna set the image to an effective 300dpi before .

@Laubender - nearly, i dont wanna change the dpi, i wanna change the pixels.

the way i going at the moment, tab to photoshop, scale the image, Indesign set the image automatically to 100% and everything is fine. But i dont wanna do this on a catalog with maybe 100 images.

http://zevrix.com/linkoptimizer.php do exactly that. but this old app is a bit buggy. theres still no native indesign way?

• 4. Re: theres an opportunity to RESIZE all linked images to 100% of the frame?
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RTtijan wrote:

yes, but for correct sharpening i need the image in the original print size with 300dpi.

@RTtijan – no, you don't. You'll need a tool that is doing the sharpening in different effective resolution classes. Best would be a tool that is doing this at an late output stage: e.g. sharpening the production PDFs.

There are Acrobat Pro add ons that can do it:

e.g. pdfToolbox by Callas.
                (also available as stand alone version)

Uwe