3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 3:03 PM by Todd_Kopriva

AME Rendering Slow

zyimages Level 1

I have some 3D titles that I created in AE CC and I need them encoded as H.264 mp4 at 720x1280, which is not possible in AE anymore.  AE will only let me encode an mp4 at 480x720, no matter the setting.  I could just send to AME, however, it takes AME over an hour to render what AE renders in virtually ten minutes.  I have matched the output settings exactly.  I also have a Quadro K5000 GPU to speed up rendering but to no avail, in AME that is.  Why is AME render time exponential compared to AE?

• 1. Re: AME Rendering Slow
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The AME will not use the GPU's Ray-traced rendering. You have two options, render to a production format to create a DI (digital Intermediate, my preferred method) then compress for delivery using AME or open your AE preferences and choose "Show Deprecated Formats in Output Module Settings" from the Output section of preferences, then render and live with single pass compression. It's better than it used to be but AME will give you a superior product for delivery.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AME Rendering Slow
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with Rick. I almost always render an intermediate file from AE and then use the Adobe Media Encoder to make my final file.

Another good reason to do this is that you can encode a number of different variations of the compression settings on your final video to test image quality vs. file size and such without having to re-render the whole AE project - you're just encoding off of a video file!

• 3. Re: AME Rendering Slow
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What Rick and Szalam recommend is what we recommend: render and export a master from After Effects and use Adobe Media Encoder to create deliverables. I use a watch folder in AME to make that automatic.