8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2014 3:38 PM by Peter Spier

Q2ID document can't use Style Sheets

jtfey

I've used Markzware's Q2ID to convert a Quark 7.5 document to InDesign CS6. All the style sheets came over with the conversion but none of them have Apply to Selection checked when I open up the style sheet.

Thus, the style sheets are of no use.

Any way to modify these style sheets so they're usable?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Q2ID document can't use Style Sheets
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

This option does not have any bearing on your styles and situation. "Apply to Selection" is used when creating a style. If you have text highlighted, you can have text applied with newly created style when exiting style panel. When you do a Q2ID conversion, styles can be modified from XP to ID. And a style that was applied to certain text, may not have any style applied.

• 2. Re: Q2ID document can't use Style Sheets
            jtfey Level 1

Pardon me for being a total newbie. I'm brand, spanking new to InDesign and thought this was the reason why styles weren't being applied. The small daily newspaper for which I work is going to transition from Quark to ID next week and all I can see is a big, black cloud approaching.

What I discovered is that right-clicking on the style and picking the correct command fixed the issue. I initially thought that highlighting the text in question and clicking on the appropriate style sheet would apply it, but that didn't seem to be the case. I still think that simple move should apply the style sheet but it doesn't.

Much to learn...

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Q2ID document can't use Style Sheets
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The small daily newspaper for which I work is going to transition from Quark to ID next week and all I can see is a big, black cloud approaching.

The cloud has a silver lining, really it does, but you may not see that until it dumps a few inches of golfball-sized hail on you. Q->ID rollouts can be nasty, sometimes.

If you click your cursor into some text, does one of the styles light up? That means it's applied to that text. Is there a plus next to the style name? That means you have local formattting overrides - the style is applied to the text but after the style was applied, someone else made manual changes. It's possible to clear overrides in the way you've done it with the mouse, or with a script, or a few other ways. I like to assign a keyboard shortcut to Clear All Overrides, myself.

• 4. Re: Q2ID document can't use Style Sheets
                jtfey Level 1

Joel,

Thanks very much for your reply. Right now I'm home but will check this out when I go back to work tomorrow, weather permitting.

I think there is some issue here because highlighting text and clicking on a style sheet does not change the text.

I did use Quark for several years and what you described sounds just like Quark. I know I used to hold down the option key and click on a style sheet to override any local formatting, and from what I just read the commands are the same in ID.

Hopefully I'll be able to produce some better-informed questions tomorrow, if I have any.

• 5. Re: Q2ID document can't use Style Sheets
                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think there is some issue here because highlighting text and clicking on a style sheet does not change the text.

If you highlight some text and then choose a paragraph style, then you might get this result if there is a character style applied. I don't remember if Quark had those or not - haven't been a regular user of same since version 4. But it sounds like it did, and that one is applied to your text.

• 6. Re: Q2ID document can't use Style Sheets
                    MW Design Level 4

Yep, QXP has character styles. And a lot of the files I get from both QXP and ID users have willie-nilly overridden both paragraph and character styles by local formatting (sometimes entire documents have had local formatting despite someone at one time setting up styles). But I haven't had issues in either application clearing the local formatting. I almost always opt to clear both paragraph and character style overrides because I am rebuilding their documents anyway.

Mike

• 7. Re: Q2ID document can't use Style Sheets
                      jtfey Level 1

This does seem to be an issue between the paragraph styles and the character styles. When I apply the paragraph style, the character style associated with it isn't applied unless I right-click on the style and select the Clear Character Style (or whatever it says).

ALSO, I tried creating a new style sheet but I am unable to assign a keyboard shortcut to the style. When I try to type anything into the shortcut field, the computer just beeps at me. I think I'll post this question in another forum.

I am working on a Mac using OS 10.8.5 and CS6. As I said earlier, I am an ID newbie and that complicates things.

Thanks for any assistance.

• 8. Re: Q2ID document can't use Style Sheets
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I know when I was a Quark user I usually created a matching character style to be applied along with paragraph styles.

ID behaves a bit differently with respect to character styles in that they are retained by default even when changing paragraph styles, and are not considered an override. Correct usage of character styles in ID is to apply them to selected text that should differ from the underlying character format built into the paragraph style.

I think what you are seeing is a natural consequence of the tenedency in Quark to apply both character and paragraph styles to entire paragraphs, and it is not something I would consider an error in conversion.