1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 4:41 PM by kromer100

brush resizing on the fly

kromer100

I've seen several places that you should be able to resize the brush with a key + mouse drag combination. The first one I saw was Ctrl + Alt + drag left or right but for me this just produces a new layer. I've tried other combinations of those keys but nothing seems to work. I'm on a Windows XP machine with a wired Logitech mouse. My PS CS6 is new and I haven't changed the preferences at all so far.

• 1. Re: brush resizing on the fly
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

For photoshop cs6 on windows it should be Alt+Right click, hold and drag left or right.

• 2. Re: brush resizing on the fly
            kromer100 Level 1

Thanks for trying. When I do Alt + Right click the eyedropper appears

and nothing happens to the brush.

• 3. Re: brush resizing on the fly
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Are you dragging the cursor?  Left right for size, and updown for hardness.

• 4. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                kromer100 Level 1

Yes, I've tried both vertical and horizontal. Just the eyedropper, no

change in the brush.

• 5. Re: brush resizing on the fly

I suspect your hardware does not support it then. What do you see in Preferences > Performance?  is GPU acceleration ticked or greyed out?

The good news is that you are going to love the new computer you are going to need to buy.  Your whole Photoshop, and computing in general experience is going to be so much more enjoyable.

• 6. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                    kromer100 Level 1

Thanks for responding. On the Preferences/Performance page there is no

GPU accleration reference at all. There is a reference to an Nvidia

graphics processor and the option to use it or not.

I may love my new computer but I will not love spending hours

re-installing all my software and having to contact tech support lines

when that doesn't go well. I've been through this a number of times before.

Have a good evening.

• 7. Re: brush resizing on the fly

It should say Use Graphics Processor in Edit>Preferences>Preformance.

Taking into account this post and your other one about the clone stamp, i'd look at your mouse or keyboard, but i'm leaning toward the mouse and/or mouse driver having problems

This is what you should see when having the Brush Tool selected and pressing the Alt+Right mouse button

(you might also see a box showing the size, hardness and opacity)

Even if Use Graphics Processor is unchecked you would at least see the brush outline (without the red part)

Untitled-2.png

• 8. Re: brush resizing on the fly

RK I'd trying to think back to CS4 or CS5 when this feature was introduced.  I remember there were a lot of people with driver problems, and only getting part of the outline, and I thought I remembered it being to do with GPU acceleration.  You are the XP expert around here though.  I just hope the BANG is not too destructive when that countdown timer reaches zero.

• 9. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                          boo radley 2013 Level 3

try this:

open an image.

select the eyedropper tool. ensure that 'show sampling ring' is checked on (show sampling ring is found in the options bar).

click and hold/drag anywhere on your image like you were normally use the eyedropper tool. You should see the color sampling ring.

Now try the alt/right click/drag to re-size the brush. Might work. This is a bug that I think was in CS5, so I'm not sure if this applies to CS6 or not. Try it out, it worked for me.

• 10. Re: brush resizing on the fly

Just to cover all the basics,, also check the Nvidia website for the latest driver for your graphics card and verify photoshop cs6 is up to date by going to Help>Updates from within photoshop cs6.

• 11. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                              kromer100 Level 1

Thanks for the idea, boo. Unfortunately the program won't let me select

"show sampling ring;" it's black and unclickable. There are other odd

things happening as well, like not being able to change the color

swatches to anything but black, white, or gray. I may just have to got

back to using CS2 until I get a new computer.

Gretchen

• 12. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                kromer100 Level 1

Good advice, thanks for your efforts, R_Kelly.

Gretchen

• 13. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                  kromer100 Level 1

Just out of curiosity I tried this on my husband's newer Dell. Couldn't

get it to work there either?!?

Thanks for trying.

Gretchen

• 14. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                    boo radley 2013 Level 3

are you sure you're in RGB mode? Go to Image/Mode and make sur you're not on indexed color or something

• 15. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                      Noel Carboni Level 8

As the others have said above, you should be able to see a red brush size / hardness preview.

You're holding down the Alt key while right-clicking on the image?  You actually have to do that then drag the mouse a little ways to see the brush size or hardness change.

It doesn't work off to the side of the image in the workspace area.  I've requested Adobe change that, but they haven't gotten to that so far.

-Noel

• 16. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                        kromer100 Level 1

Yes, I checked that. I'm also not able to paint on a levels layer and

the levels layer icon looks funny. The same procedure works fine on my

husband's computer. I think it's the age of my computer and maybe the

fact that it's a 32 bit system. Thanks for your ideas.

• 17. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                          kromer100 Level 1

BINGO! That works - thanks very much. The problem was that I was not

dragging right over the image.

BTW, I talked to an Adobe tech support person who had never heard of

this shortcut.

Now I'd like to know why I can't paint on a levels layer or change my

swatches to a color (except black, white, and gray). Any ideas there?

Thanks very much.

Gretchen

• 18. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Maybe you have a grayscale image?  Try Image - Mode - RGB Color.

-Noel

• 19. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                              kromer100 Level 1

Thanks, but no, color image, RGB. Also, when I do a levels layer, the

little icon is a split circle like the one on the menu below rather than

a little graph the way it should be. And I can't paint on it. Painting

on a sharpening layer works fine for some reason.

Gretchen

• 20. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                boo radley 2013 Level 3

to paint on a levels layer you need to click on the circle+rectabgle icon, not the split circle icon

• 21. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                  kromer100 Level 1

Let me explain this a different way. I go to the bottom of the layers

window, click on the split circle to open the menu, and select "levels."

Instead of getting a new layer with a little graph on it, I get a new

layer with a split circle on it, just like the menu below, the wrong

icon for that type of layer. The new layer has a mask, but when I try to

paint on it nothing happens. Thanks for your ideas.

• 22. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                    kromer100 Level 1

Tried the shortcut again today and now it's not working again, even on

the image itself. Argh!

• 23. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Post some screen grabs, please, showing what you're seeing.  Perhaps with a visual cue someone can spot what's wrong.

-Noel

• 24. Re: brush resizing on the fly

kromer100 wrote:

BTW, I talked to an Adobe tech support person who had never heard of

this shortcut.

Gretchen

I suspect that most tech support people have never used Photoshop, and work from a screen that guides them through a question and answer process.  Those tech support people probably have to cover all Adobe products, and there are >30 just in Creative Cloud.  I also wonder if those same Tech Support people also field calls for several different banks, and half the Telecom companies in the world. If, heaven forbid, they get a quiet moment, they cold canvas folk asking if they would participate in a short survey, but they are made to target time zones where people are likely to be at home and finished their evening meal (i.e. relaxing in front of the TV)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_system

• 25. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                          kromer100 Level 1

Very true, and I shudder to think what they probably get paid for all this!

• 26. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                            kromer100 Level 1

Here are a couple showing the menu and levels situation. Selecting this

option seems to create a transparent layer that can't be painted on.

Gretchen

• 27. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                              boo radley 2013 Level 3

Go to the main menu and choose Select/Edit In Quick Mask Mode - if it's ticked on, then tick it off, then try everything over again

• 28. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                kromer100 Level 1

Nope, same deal. Thanks anyway.

Gretchen

• 29. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                  boo radley 2013 Level 3

you have to post images of what's going on

• 30. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                    kromer100 Level 1

Sorry, I thought I did. How do I get them to show up in the full

discussion?

• 31. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                      PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

You need to connect to the forum, and use the camera icon. You cannot attach from email.

But I suspect that your document is very long and therefore the layers icon scale accordingly:

longdoc.png

Also, you cannot paint with any color on the MASK of a levels ADJUSTMENT layer, just black and white and greys, and neither paint on the adjustment itself, as it is just a parametric change, and not actual pixels.

• 32. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                        kromer100 Level 1

Thanks for your help. I am connected and I found the little Edit button

but I'm having trouble getting the website to accept the images, even in

the correct size.

I do understand that you can't use a color on the mask on a levels

adjustment layer. I'm interested in adjusting lightness and darkness

only. The business of not being able to select a color for the swatches

is a separate issue.

• 33. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                          kromer100 Level 1

Thanks for your help. Here are the images.

I do understand that you can't use a color on the mask of a levels adjustment layer. I'm interested in adjusting lightness and darkness only. The business of not being able to select a color for the swatches is a separate issue.

menu1.jpglevels.jpg

• 34. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                            boo radley 2013 Level 3

those images are too small - you need to upload larger images for us to see... but I did manage to enlarge it and what you're experiencing to me is normal behavior - it doesn't look like there's any problem here.

First - in the layers panel, at the very top right corner, click the small lines with the down arrow and choose Panel Options. Then choose 'none' for thumbnail. Now your mask and adjustment layer icons should look proper.

Next, once you've added the levels adjustment layer, change the levels (brighter or darker) by double-clicking on the split circle .(not the split circle at the bottom of the layers panel but the one beside the 'eye' icon on your layer)

Next, click once on the box/circle (just to the right of the split circle) icon so it's highlighted. Select the paint bucket tool. Choose black as your foreground color. Fill the entire layer with black - now your level adjustments that you made should disappear.

Now, select a brush, choose white as your foreground color, and paint onto your image - what this does is it 'unhides'  the levels adjustments that we just filled with black. So black hides the levels adjustment, and white shows it.

• 35. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                              kromer100 Level 1

Thanks, Boo. Here's what happens when I follow your steps. In paint3 I've adjusted the levels. In paint4, when I paint on the layer mask in white, I get a gray smear instead of "unhiding" the colors of the photo.

I appreciate your help and your patience.

paint3.jpg

paint4.jpg

• 36. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                                kromer100 Level 1

Boo

I'd like to show you another example, a different photo from a different

camera with levels adjusted on my husband's newer computer. No problems

at all. I don't see any way to post it unless you or someone else

replies to my e-mail. Is there one?

Gretchen

• 37. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                                  kromer100 Level 1

Here we go. This is a photo from another camera, adjusted on another computer.

paint5.png

Yet when I use one of my own photos on that same computer, I get the gray, smeary look, just like on my computer. I think this is not about my computer but about the way JPGs from my Nikon D800 interact with Photoshop on any computer.

• 38. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                                    boo radley 2013 Level 3

i still don't see any problems - it looks like Photoshop is doing what it's supposed to do

first:

the levels adjutsment layer was added, and  the levels were darkened, so your entire image appears slightly darker. 

Next, you filled that same adjutsment layer with black as your foreground color, so what this did was 'hide' that darkened adjustment layer, so your image returned to normal. The darkened levels is still there on that layer, but it's hidden (by filling the entire layer in black)

now when you change your foreground color to white (just use the color picker to chane your painting color to white), just choose a soft airbursh tool and paint on to the adjutsment layer - now because you're using white, it is "un-hiding", or showing the darkened levels and the gray smear is just the darkened levels showing through- take note of your brush opacity - make sure it's at 100% for starters. If you want that 'gray smear' to appear darker, then double click on the split-circle icon (beside the eye icon on your layer) and the levels window should show up again - then re-adjust those levels sliders again so they're even darker - you'll notice that gray smear on your image darkening as you pull the sliders down.

The degree of darkness that the gray smear appears to be is totally dependant on how far you pull the sliders in the 'levels' panel 

for example, you can pull the sliders all the way in one direction and the gray smear will turn very very dark, or pull the sliders the other way and the gray smear will turn very very bright (all the way up until it's actually white)

what you're showing us looks to be total normal behavior - you might try reading up on adjustment layers to get a better understanding of what's actually happening, but there appears to be no problems with your Photoshop or your camera

• 39. Re: brush resizing on the fly
                                                                                      kromer100 Level 1

What I see is not dark blue, as in the photo, but gray. The reason for that, as I now understand, is that when I drag the Output Levels slider below about 200 the color goes away and sky does turn gray. In order to get the dark blue I want I have to keep the slider closer to 230. Thanks for your help.

1 2 Previous Next