6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 12:47 PM by Cassalc

How can I paste in without adding a new layer(s)

Cassalc

Hi,

I am a bit annoyed with my Photoshop CS6 and its features.

One of them is really starting to annoy me, and im about to quit this software, because I can't find any answer to it.

Its when I add a new picture, Photoshop think its cool to always add it as a new layer, whenever im using Ctrl + V.

Is there any way to disable that, and make it do what I want it to, instead of always adding new layers??

Also on a side note, how come it be, that every time I press "S" or any other shortcut, it interferes with the top menu, and are trying to open those, instead of using the tool I desire??

-Cassalc

• 1. Re: Not adding new layer(s)
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As for your second issue, I beleive you are accidently pressing the alt key. This can happen for example if your zooming in or out using the alt key.

Alt = Windows, Option=Mac

As for your first issue, I will think about it for awhile and get back to you. I imagine there is a way, its just excaping me at the moment. For for the reason why it is creating new layers for each placed file, is to make it easier to rearrange the images if you choose to do so. Once your images are all placed, there is nothing stopping you from merging or flattening the layers. Since it is just a keystroke away. (ctrl-e)

• 2. Re: Not adding new layer(s)
            Cassalc Level 1

I think I also accidently his the alt key, because when I tried using it that way, it does happen. I then tried not pressing the alt key, and that works. Thank you.

I can't wait to see if you can tell me something about the layers, because im used to add the layer myself instead of the Photoshop doing it for me, and its really hard to get used to something else, since I have used a different software for a very long time

Thank you anyway for the help

-Cassalc

• 3. Re: Not adding new layer(s)
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, so far I haven't found a way. Looks like the fastest way is to select all the images from mini bridge drop them onto the document, then press ctrl-shift-e to merge all visible layers. Or select which layers you want merged, then press ctrl-e. Its one extra step, but doesn't take too long to do anyway.

Would you beleive, I thought of something. actions. it could open a folder of images and merge them. That would be the way to do it, if you had hundreds of images to do.

• 4. Re: How can I paste in without adding a new layer(s)
                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hi, did you try to paste into? Ctrl+shift+V?

• 5. Re: How can I paste in without adding a new layer(s)
                  Cassalc Level 1

I just tried that, and that did not work, it does the same thing as Ctrl+V, sadly

• 6. Re: Not adding new layer(s)
                    Cassalc Level 1

I don't have hundreds of images to fix at one time, so I don't think that is really going to help me much, thank you for the help though.

Little side note, you should not be able to show me a website or book or video, on how to use Photoshop CS6, in a more "proper" way? I know very little about it, and would love to learn as much as possible.

-Cassalc