33 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2008 3:43 PM by btrettel

Install Flash 9 update

mjcsukesa
      Kuler seems to require me to install the Flash 9 update every time I go to the page.

I have tried this on my Mac, PC and some of my friends PCs as well.

Firefox, IE and Safari all go though the same process.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

Thanks
      Mark
        • 1. Re: Install Flash 9 update
          34Street
          Hi,

I have the exact same problem.
          Can't start kuler i either IE7 or Firefox with the latest Flash-player, installed just a few minutes ago.

Still the same message;
          "kuler requires the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player."

But hey - I already have it!

Any workaround?
          Thanks
          • 2. Re: Install Flash 9 update
            Sami@Adobe Adobe Employee
            Hello, this might be related to the autoupdater not updating since Flash version 9,0,115,0 was released last week. That should be fixed by now.

If you are still having problems, even though it says you have the latest Flash Player installed, first try clearing the cache and then refreshing the page, if still needed:
            1. Do a full manual uninstall of the Flash Player. Get an uninstaller here.
            2. Install the latest version manually from the Download Center.
            3. Double check the version you have installed here.

Sami
            • 3. Re: Install Flash 9 update
              Gerstenmann Level 1
              Hi Sami,

just made the installation the way you suggested. But I still have the problem as mentioned above. My tool is a mac (Intel) with safari or IE. Nothing works.

Do you’ve got some ideas?

Thanks, Daniel

• 4. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                Hmm.. what version does it say you have when you check via the Adobe site?
                Anyone else having more luck?
                Sami
                • 5. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                  Gerstenmann Level 1
                  It’s working! A mysteri… I had to make the installation twice to bring Kuler back to life…
                  Thanks for help.
                  • 6. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                    icaretoche

why just cant adobe design a kuler simple page with out some
                    requirements to view the content. too fancy already,
                    i really need to install an update which could take me wait longer.
                    Im always on the rush and i used to visit kuler before to blend colors.
                    now i cant cuz it requires an update flash :-(
                    • 7. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                      @ Daniel: Glad kuler is working for you again. Thanks for persevering.
                      @ Icaretoche: Ideally the Flash Player update is behind the scenes, you shouldn't have to do anything, it should update automatically. We're working on smoothing that out. What OS are you on, just curious.... Mac or Win?
                      Clarification: You do need to accept the new version of Flash, but it should be painless after that.
                      Sami
                      • 8. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                        Rod Pickett
                        I can't get the kuler site to load. I keep getting the "you must have the latest Flash player" error page.
                        • 9. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                          HaNZed
                          I get told to install version 9 but get:
                          Adobe Flash Player 9 was previously installed with elevated permissions
                          ...please log in with administrative permissions and try again

but of course on a corporate machine I cannot do as suggested. This has never happened on other sites.
                          • 10. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                            Hi, we'll look into this issue, but we need OS and browser versions to do any more troubleshooting.

One more thing to try: Clear Cache and refresh the page.

Thanks, Sami
                            • 11. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                              HaNZed Level 1
                              Refresh and deleting temporary Internet files did not help.
                              Internet Explorer 6, SP2
                              Windows XP Professional SP2, on an IBM Thinkpad.
                              No hurry - worked with Windows 2000 and IE6 (no SP obvious) or Firefox 2 on another computer, noname desktop.
                              Thanks,
                              Hans
                              • 12. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                DesignJunkee
                                Hi..It wont show up for me in I.E. i tried deleting old files..and IE checks for new page versions everytime i visit so the cache should be cleared.
                                Vista Home Premium - IE 7

It does however work fine on Firefox..installs and runs on first try.
                                • 13. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                  Won't work for me in
                                  IE7 Version: 7.0.6000.16575
                                  Firefox Version: 2.0.0.11
                                  Vista Business 32 bit (not aero due to CS3)

Sami?
                                  • 14. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                    Level 1
                                    OK just ran the adobe "all updates" from help in Dreamweaver
                                    Cold reboot
                                    Kuler works fine now in ie7 and FFx2
                                    • 15. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                      Hi Cafe21: Thanks for taking the time to add the additional information on what fixed it. :)
                                      Sami
                                      • 16. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                        aint running for me either guys, dont even get a prompt to downlod flash, just see a black screen, no clues as to whats going on, running latest version of flash on a mac, running leopard, anyone help...?
                                        • 17. Install Flash 9 update
                                          hello,

same problem here: kuler requires the latest version of the flash player, but no interface

Windows XP
                                          IE 6 (works fine in firefox)
                                          Flash Player version: WIN 9,0,115,0 (according to: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507&sliceId=2)

The interesting thing about this problem on my machine is that I am getting a javascript error, so i did a little digging.
                                          The ControlVersion() function in AC_OETags.js is returning -1 because it is testing for all the versions of the flash player starting at version 7 and going downward from there by trying to create an ActiveXObject
                                          (axo = new ActiveXObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7"); )

According to my registry I have ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9 Higher than 7, obviously. There is no detection for Flash Player 8 or 9 in this version of AC_OETags.js. So the solution for my case at least, is to add the detection for ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9 above the test for 7. ControlVersion then returns "WIN 9,0,115,0" instead of -1 no more error, and all is well.
                                          • 18. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                            Hi, I saw your repost on the "black page" thread. Let us know on that thread if you still have the black screen after a manual uninstall with the standalone uninstaller. Thanks for the info.
                                            Sami
                                            • 19. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                              peter_bitter Level 1
                                              ok. I have the same "black page" problem, I manually uninstall, reinstall, recover permissions, log out log in,,,, :-( still we get a black page ....

Mac dual G5, Freshly Installed 10.4, CS2, Studio 8,

Thanks,
                                              Peter
                                              • 20. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                Ma2DollBoyz
                                                New to this thread ... but I'm having the same black page, please install Flash (tho I've tried five times now -- and flash keeps giving me the movie saying it's installed). Just tried the uninstall listed in this thread.

Am a community college instructor who wants to share this with Illustrator class next week --- but don't want to frustrate them.

Help!!!
                                                • 21. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                  Little_miss_G
                                                  I'm having problems to just a black page and thats it.I really need to use Kuler,Can anyone help?
                                                  • 22. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                    @peter_bitter: what browser and version numbers? And you used the standalone uninstaller, right?

@Ma2DollBoyz and Little miss G:
                                                    If you haven't answered these questions, please help us troubleshoot with more information:
                                                    1. What OS and browser(s) version(s) are not working?
                                                    2. Did you do a manual uninstallation by downloading and running the standalone Flash Player uninstaller from Adobe?
                                                    3. Has the site ever worked for you on these browsers?
                                                    4. Any other clues to help us track this down?

@Ma2DollBoyz: we'll try and get you running before class. Backup is if you are using CS3, you can still use the kuler panel in Illustrator (Windows>Adobe Labs>kuler).
                                                    • 23. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                      Doreen L.
                                                      I am also getting the black screen with 'the this page requires the latest version of Flash' using IE 7.0.573011. It does work in FireFox. I have the latest version of Flash and embed it all the time in my own website without any problem. I didn't have this problem back during the Summer.
                                                      • 24. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                        Hi, we believe this is caused by corrupted user-side installations. Full instructions on troubleshooting are here. Let me know how it turns out.
                                                        Sami
                                                        • 25. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                          Doreen L. Level 1
                                                          Actually, it's a IE7 problem. It was only happening in a few sites including Kulor, for me. Uninstalling Flash and then reinstalling corrected the problem with Kulor.

However, there is still a Flash problem for many of us when Flash tries to open in a separate window that's not an HTML.
                                                          • 26. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                            the_helper
                                                            I have enstalled the newest version of Adobe Flash Player, however when I click inside my kuler-desktop aplication on "desktop patterns" the website opens but does not show any content. (I use IE.)

Clicking on the "Refresh-Icon" inside IE does not help, neither clicking into the address-line + enter (to refresh).

But there is a solution, sounds strange but works:

If I click "F5" (which is refreshing / reloading as well) I suddenly can see the complete content and use kuler perfectly.

• 27. Install Flash 9 update
                                                              btrettel
                                                              I've installed the "latest version" of Flash 3 times now and I'm still getting the "kuler requires the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player." I run Linux. There is no uninstaller I can find.

This page says I have version 9.0.115.0 installed when 9.0.124.0 is the latest.

I think the download link for Linux is the wrong version after doing this 3 times. Could the download be corrected?

Just as a note, I personally hate upgrading software when it seems the developer broke the application so I have to upgrade. Please Adobe, don't do that.

Edit: I tried out another browser. This browser clearly says that I have the correct version, however, I still can't run kuler. I've cleared the cache and reloaded the page with F5. No luck.
                                                              • 28. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                                Level 7
                                                                Did you get any answer Peter about this black page? any solution?
                                                                • 29. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                                  @ Doreen_L & the_helper, thanks for the recent reports. I've logged a bug for QE to check.

@btrettel: We'll look into Linux issue. And what browser version were you running.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                                    www.jamesward.com Level 1
                                                                    @btrettel - What browser are you using? Also if you go to about:plugins in your browser what version(s) does it list there? Also did you install Flash through your package manager? I'm on Ubuntu linux with 9.0.124.0 and not having any problems with Kuler.

-James
                                                                    • 31. Install Flash 9 update
                                                                      btrettel Level 1
                                                                      I'm using Firefox when the version reported was an older one and Epiphany when the version was correct (they are both based on Gecko). Flash is only for Gecko based browsers on Linux from what I know, so I didn't think that was completely necessary.

I thought I edited this in before, but it doesn't seem I did. I can use kuler running Firefox for Windows in Wine. I don't consider that a solution though.

Gentoo's portage lists 9.0.115.0 as the latest version of Flash, so I assumed that it wasn't as up to date as Adobe's website.

about:plugins in Firefox says I have "Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115" despite installing the latest version 3+ times.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Install Flash 9 update
                                                                        www.jamesward.com Level 1
                                                                        quote:

Originally posted by: btrettel
                                                                        Gentoo's portage lists 9.0.115.0 as the latest version of Flash, so I assumed that it wasn't as up to date as Adobe's website.

Portage now has 9.0.124.0. Please update and let us know if you are still having problems with Kuler.

-James
                                                                        • 33. Install Flash 9 update
                                                                          btrettel Level 1
                                                                          Thanks for letting me know. I'll post here if it doesn't work after it's finished.

Edit: kuler works now. Thank you.