1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2014 8:14 AM by A.T. Romano

how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?

gtavetian Level 1

I am trying to make a slide show.  When I have a vertically oriented (portrait) photograph and try to use pan and zoom, the feature eliminates much of the photograph.  It seems the pan and zoom feature only works for horizontally oriented (or landscape) photographs.  Is there a way to use pan and zoom on vertically oriented photographs to capture all or most of the photograph and zoom in from there?

• 1. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Pending more information, I will generalize

a. Presets - with the presets you can do a pan OR zoom per image, but not a pan AND zoom per image.

b. Keyframing the Motion Scale property (for Zoom) and the Motion Position property (for Pan).

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
            gtavetian Level 1

Premiere Elements 12 and windows xp. Thanks for any help you can

provide.  I really appreciate it.

• 3. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

How do you feel about the Pan and Zoom Tool giving you a pan and zoom

a. beginning with the portrait oriented photo in a frame with its black borders to the left and right

b. then zooms and pans to certain areas of the photo (during this phase the zooms full the screen, so no black borders

c. and then zoom out so that we are back at "a" above.

Is this where you been and do not want?

ATR

• 4. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                gtavetian Level 1

My problem is simpler than that.  When I try to use the pan and zoom function, particularly with a portrait (vertical) oriented photo, the pan and zoom function will only capture a small portion of the photo.  As I try to drag the bottom right corner down and to the right (or the top left up and to the left), I can still capture only a relatively small portion of the photo.  I simply want to be able to start with the full (or most of the full) photo and zoom in or start zoomed in and pull out to the entire photo. 

-

"A.T. Romano" <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

A.T. Romano http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano created the discussion

"Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6027187#6027187

• 5. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

It appears to me that what I asked is what  you have now described as "simpler than that".

I posted the goal and not the steps to achieve it. I wanted to make sure what I described was what you were after. In the next few hours or sooner, I will post an example on YouTube for you to check out.

If that looks like what you are after, then I will post the how to details in your post.

Are you OK with that plan?

ATR

• 6. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

This is the look that I asked if you were after.

http://youtu.be/LFeRIjj7F8A

I did this Premiere Elements 12 Windows project with a NTSC DV Standard project preset and the upload to YouTube was via Publish+Share/Social Websites/You Tube with the Flash Video for YouTube preset. YouTube uses a 16:9 players so you will see extra black borders to the right and left related to the 4:3 in the 16:9 player.

I will re-do this using a HD preset.

But let me know if this looks promising minus the 4:3 video 16:9 YouTube player business.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The linked YouTube video is locked as "Private." I think that you posted your URL. YouTube should have a "Public" URL for that video.

Hunt

• 8. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                        gtavetian Level 1

That would be great!

-

"Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6028893#6028893

• 9. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                          gtavetian Level 1

Sorry.  One more problem.  I could not get into the youtube video, since it said it was private, and I needed log in information.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6028942#6028942

• 10. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

Sorry about that. I did set it up for unlisted so there should not be the listing for private which would have made it not viewable. But, I overlooked one "minor" detail, forgot to hit "SAVE" on the setting.

If you are OK with the NTSC DV Standard version that I will not post the NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080p30 version.

We will be watching for your verdict.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I know. I know. I got gtavetian's message.

The link was set for unlisted but I forgot to hit Save. It should work fine now. If not, back to the YouTube Video Manager.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                gtavetian Level 1

I could not get the sound on your video.  It was also a 38 second video.  i checked another youtube video, and it was so simple for him.  He could open pan and zoom and his entire picture was in the green pan and zoom frame, so he could start with his entire picture.  When using a horizontal orientation, I get most of the photo in.  With a vertical (portrait) orientation, the little green frame box gives me the exact frame as if it were a vertical horizontal picture.  So I can only get a maximum of maybe 40 percent of the photo.  I open my picture and only a part of it is in the frame where the zoom starts.  I do not know if I am explaining this well.  Basically, if I want to pan and zoom, I can only get part of the photo.  I cannot include the whole picture.  I tried downsizing the photo, but that did not change anything.  By the way, I have photos that pretty big.  They are about 4000 pixels by whatever.  I made it much smaller (like a width of about 500, and it did not help.  That did not help anything.   If you have any way of understanding this and helping, I would appreciate it.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6029089#6029089

• 13. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

I did not include audio in the mini demo since all I was after was a confirmation from you that the presentation looked like what was acceptable for you.

The Pan and Zoom Tool is not suited for portrait oriented photos, and I had to adapt some special measures to assure the look. I was ready to post the details of how I actually used the Pan and Zoom Tool for that look if the look was acceptable to you.

It probably would be more appropriate to keyframe the motion properties of scale (for zoom) and position (for pan) with Toggle Animation in the Motion Panel expanded.

I am not sure if we are communicating yet on what you seek and what I think you are asking.

You wrote

i checked another youtube video, and it was so simple for him.  He could open pan and zoom and his entire picture was in the green pan and zoom frame, so he could start with his entire picture.

Could you post a link to that YouTube video so that I can see what you are referring to and what I may be missing in the posts in your thread?

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                    gtavetian Level 1

Sure.  I would love to be able to do that, especially if I can start with the full photo, either horizontally or vertically oriented.  Thanks.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6028942#6028942

• 15. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

There should be no problems using the Pan and Zoom Tool for landscape oriented photos, but let me prepare a step by step for pans and zooms for a landscape as well as portrait example for the Pan and Zoom Tool if you decide you want to try to use that tool for your pans and zooms. In a recent post you spoke of the expectation of audio in my YouTube example. Keep in mind, when you apply the pan and zoom effect to a photo with the Pan and Zoom Tool, the duration of that clip is going to be markedly increased, typically beyond any audio that came with it.

If you use do not use the Pan and Zoom Tool for the pans and zooms and use instead keyframing of the Scale and Position properties of Motion Panel expanded, you do not run into the photo increased duration issue after the pan and zoom effect is applied via Motion Panel keyframing scheme.

More tomorrow.

ATR

• 16. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

This is a demo of what I did with 3 portrait oriented jpgs (1080 x 1920) and the Pan and Zoom Tool plus some enhancements to be defined in tomorrow's write up of all this. I posted it to YouTube for you to take a look at the look. Tomorrow I will post the details. If I am going in the direction that you want and need, I will post the details for the landscape oriented jpgs...no problems with them.

http://youtu.be/eux9nj1w-XI

Hopefully I have the YouTube viewing listed as Unlisted and saved as such so that you may view it.

More later.

ATR

Add On...If this is not the effect that you wanted, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Uploaded video needs work in terms of smoothness of motion, a work in progress, but the pan and zoom idea is there.

• 17. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                          gtavetian Level 1

I must be driving you crazy with this.  I clicked on your video, and youtube said the video does not exist.  Anyway, I look forward to whatever information you can provide.  It sounds like you may have a solution to my problem.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6030512#6030512

• 18. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

I just tried the link in post 16. It is working. I have it saved at YouTube as Unlisted which means that only those who know of the link and click on it should be able to view it. Please give the link in post 16 another try.

I will re-post it in this thread

http://youtu.be/eux9nj1w-XI

Please let us know if either link works.

I am behind schedule today, but will get the suggested workflow posted before midnight today. Hopefully with the next few hours.

More later.

ATR

• 19. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Your link worked for me too - Chrome on a PC.

Hunt

• 20. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Thanks for the confirmation on the link functioning.

Last night I double and triple checked to make sure I had unlisted saved rather than private.

ATR

• 21. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

The following is what I did to produce today's YouTube demo

http://youtu.be/kQ1TeHk9y88

of the Premiere Elements 11 and 12 Pan and Zoom Tool for some 1080 x 1920 portrait oriented jpg photos.

Open Premiere Elements 11 or 12 to Expert Workspace with project preset = NTSC/ DSLR/ 1080p/ DSLR 1080p30@29.97.

Edit Menu/Preferences/General. Leave a check mark next to “Default Scale to Frame Size”

Using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets, drag 1080 (Width) x 1920 (Height) jpg to beginning of Video Track 1.

With Timeline Indicator at the beginning of Video Track 1 (00;00;00;00), go to Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom and click on it to open  the Pan and Zoom workspace.

In the Pan and Zoom workspace, you will see that the feature has created the initial two Focus Frames for you. 

Example.JPG

1. Do not do anything to Focus Frame 1 in the bin below the image window.
                                                  2. Click on Focus Frame 2 in the bin below the image window and set the Focus Frame as wanted.
                                                  3. Click on New Frame in the panel to the left of the image window  to create a third Focus Frame which will appear in the bin. Set Focus Frame as wanted.
                                                  4. Click on New Frame in the panel  to the left of the image window to create a fourth Focus Frame which will appear in the bin. Set the Focus Frame as wanted.
                                                  5. Click Done to the Pan and Zoom workspace so that you are back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace with its Timeline.

In the Expert workspace,

1. Move the Timeline Indicator to the last frame of the selected pan and zoom clip 1. In Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded, (Toggle Animation should be active at this point), make sure Position settings are 960.0 and 540.0 and Scale = 57.2% (with Constrain Proportions used).Then go to Tools Menu/Freeze Frame and set the freeze frame for 3 seconds and hit Insert in Movie.
                                                  2. Then move the Timeline Indicator to the first frame of the selected pan and zoom clip 1. In Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded (Toggle Animation should be active at this point), make sure Position settings are 960.0 and 540.0 and Scale = 57.2% (with Constrain Proportions used). Then go to Tools Menu/Freeze Frame and set the freeze frame for 3 seconds and hit Insert in Movie.
                                                  3. Render.

The Timeline content sequence from start to finish should be:

• Freeze Frame 3 seconds First Frame of pan and zoom clip 1
                                                  • Pan and zoom clip 1
                                                  • Freeze Frame 3 seconds Last Frame of pan and zoom clip 1
                                                  • Freeze Frame 3 seconds First Frame of pan and zoom clip 2
                                                  • Pan and zoom clip 2
                                                  • Freeze Frame 3 seconds Last Frame of pan and zoom clip 2

A Dissolve/Cross Dissolve Video Transition is placed between end of Freeze Frame  Last Frame of pan and zoom clip 1 and beginning of Freeze Frame 3 First Frame of pan and zoom clip 2.

Additional pan and zoom portrait oriented jpgs to the Timeline would be treated as above.

If you want the same pan and zoom effect for more than one jpg clip at a time, you can do that according to the following blog details, basically

1. make sure that the duration of the second clip to which pan and zoom is to be applied with the Pan and Zoom Tool is the same as the first and then copy/paste the Motion Panel expanded keyframes to the second clip's Motion Panel expanded area..

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-pan-zoom-tool-more-than-one-photo.html

If you see any glaring typing errors or have any problems with any of this please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

Next, I will go over the Premiere Elements 11 and 12  Pan and Zoom Tool with landscape oriented jpgs.

• 22. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                    gtavetian Level 1

At.T.:  I followed your instructions very carefully.  They seemed quite clear and were easy to follow.  Here is the remaining problem.  While I was able to see the entire image of the vertical picture somewhere in the image sequence (I have no idea how), I could not show the full vertical picture at the beginning.  In your example, you start with the complete picture and then you zoom in.  That is what I want to do.  Because the frames (new frame 1 or new frame 2 etc.) do not come close to covering the entire picture, I cannot start with anything other than a small portion of the picture.  Am I articulating this properly (my computer understanding and skills are seriously limited, so that may impact my ability to communicate properly) and is there a solution?  There must be a solution, since you seem to have found it on your examples.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6033106#6033106

• 23. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                      gtavetian Level 1

A.T.:  I followed your instructions very carefully.  They seemed quite clear and were easy to follow.  Here is the remaining problem.  While I was able to see the entire image of the vertical picture somewhere in the image sequence (I have no idea how), I could not show the full vertical picture at the beginning.  In your example, you start with the complete picture and then you zoom in.  That is what I want to do.  Because the frames (new frame 1 or new frame 2 etc.) do not come close to covering the entire picture, I cannot start with anything other than a small portion of the picture.  Am I articulating this properly (my computer understanding and skills are seriously limited, so that may impact my ability to communicate properly) and is there a solution?  There must be a solution, since you seem to have found it on your examples.

-

• 24. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                        gtavetian Level 1

I decided the easiest way to describe the problem I am having is to describe what I see on the screen.  I am going to recite measurements, though the precise number of inches is not relevant. Perhaps only the ratio is relevant.  Here goes.

When I have a vertically oriented photo on which I want to use the pan and zoom feature, the photo size is 4 1/2 inches vertical by 3 inches horizontal.  The pan and zoom feature places a green box (the frame) which is horizontally oriented.  The biggest I can make it is 1 1/2 inches vertical by 3 inches horizontal.  The photo was taken on a Canon T4i.

When I have a horizontally oriented photo taken on the same camera, when I go to pan and zoom, the photo size is 4 inches vertical by 6 1/4 inches horizontal.  The largest I can make the green frame is 3 1/2 inches vertical by 6 1/4 inches horizontal.

When I use a vertically oriented photo taken on my daughter's Iphone 4, when I go to pan and zoom, the photo dimension in one instance is 4 1/4 inches vertical by 3 1/4 inches horizontal.  The largest I can make the green frame is 1 3/4 inches vertical by 3 1/4 horizontal.

Using my daughter Iphone 4 photos horizontally oriented, when using the pan and zoom feature, the dimensions are 4 1/4 vertical by 5 1/2 horizontal.  The green frame can be no larger than 3 1/4 inches vertical by 5 1/2 inches vertical.

I looked at a youtube video which showed that once you hit pan and zoom, the green box initially encircles the entire photo.  That is what I want to do.

I think I have articulated this as well as I can.  Thanks.

-

• 25. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                          nealeh Level 5

Are you certain you followed these two instructions of ATR:

Open Premiere Elements 11 or 12 to Expert Workspace with project preset = NTSC/ DSLR/ 1080p/ DSLR 1080p30@29.97.

Edit Menu/Preferences/General. Leave a check mark next to “Default Scale to Frame Size”

Cheers,
                                                          --
                                                          Neale
                                                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 26. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

Good morning.

Just starting my day at about 8:31 am where I am.

Please post the pixel dimensions of the portrait jpg to which you want to apply the pan and zoom effect with the Pan and Zoom Tool of Premiere Elements 12.

What is the project preset that you are going to use for this project that will have the pan and zoomed photos? What is going into this project with the photos, video from the iPhone 4 as well? What is your Default Scale To Frame Size status...check mark or no check mark in preferences OR with an enabling of disabling of this at the Timeline Level?

From what I have read the iPhone 4 specifications are 2592 x 1936 4:3 for photos (landscape), presumed 1936 x 2592 pixels (portrait). The videos from that camera should be 720p30 (1280 x 720 @ 30 progressive frames per second).

Let me know the above information and I will customize the details to your specific situation. The demo gives principles for the conditions described that I described.

More later.

ATR

• 27. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                              gtavetian Level 1

Thanks for hanging in there with me.  I really appreciate it.  Here is some information.

First, I would like to take photos and videos from my Canon T4i camera, my daughter/s iphone 4, photos from facebook (if they are clear enough), and videos from youtube.  I am creating the slideshow on my laptop which runs off of Windows XP.

My experiments following your instructions last night included a new project that consisted only of a single photo, and then of a couple photos.  They were still pictures, both from the Canon T4i and from the iphone.  Nothing worked.  the dimensions of the photo and the original green frame stayed the same, as I described yesterday.

As for your specific questions, I shall now reveal my ignorance. 

1)  What is the project preset?  I don't know.  What should it be, given the sources I would like to use?  I tried doing what you said yesterday; that did not help the pan and zoom.

2)  What is going into the project?  See above.

3)  What is my default scale and frame size status?  I don't know.  What should it be?  I am sorry to say I do not understand your question, so I really cannot answer it.  See what you have to work with?   Anyway, in my experiments of yesterday, I followed your instructions.

I hope my lack of knowledge is not overwhelming.  Thanks.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6035383#6035383

• 28. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

Will be back with instructions specific to your situation, but first what are the properties of your videos...are they 4:3 standard or 16:9 standard widescreen....or 16:9 high definition, like 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080? Do these movie play a prominent part in your Premiere Elements production or are they minor inclusions?

More later.

ATR

• 29. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

I decided to use a different strategy to convey the principle. It is most likely that your photos will be 4:3 and you may or may not be taking them into a SD widescreen or HD widescreen project. With all those variables, to get the basic ideas across, I am going to use two models with a generalized scheme.

For this post....

NTSC DV Standard Project - Portrait Oriented JPG, in this case 2448 x 3264 3:4. Could be any Portrait Oriented JPEG any pixel dimensions. But best plan ahead for what you have and what you would like.

Manually set the project preset to NTSC DV Standard.

File Menu/New/Project and, in the new project dialog, set for NTSC DV Standard.

Before exiting the final dialog in that area, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Close out of there.

Next go to the Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size". Close out of the preferences.

In the opened Premiere Elements Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to get your portrait oriented JPG to the beginning of the Timeline.The 2448 x 3264 3:4 will overwhelm the space in the Edit Mode monitor. That is to be expected. The Timeline Indicator is at the beginning of the Timeline @ 00;00;00;00.

a. Click on the Timeline jpg to select it. With Motion Panel/Scale property (with Constrain Proportions with check mark), you want to scale the image so that the whole is shown within the mode space. You want to see the image's bounding box. See the next screenshot. The bounding box is the white outline around the image. It has handles.

Beginning.JPG

After the scaling to get that look, the important information that you want is on the right in the Motion Panel

Position values 360.0 and 240.0

Scale value 14.6%.

The next phase is as before (See post 21 of this thread...but much of that is repeated below and modified for what is being described at this moment)

With Timeline Indicator at the beginning of Video Track 1 (00;00;00;00), go to Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom and click on it to open  the Pan and Zoom workspace.

In the Pan and Zoom workspace, you will see that the feature has created the initial two Focus Frames for you. 

1. Do not do anything to Focus Frame 1 in the bin below the image window.
                                                                  2. Click on Focus Frame 2 in the bin below the image window and set the Focus Frame as wanted.
                                                                  3. Click on New Frame in the panel to the left of the image window  to create a third Focus Frame which will appear in the bin. Set Focus Frame as wanted.
                                                                  4. Click on New Frame in the panel  to the left of the image window to create a fourth Focus Frame which will appear in the bin. Set the Focus Frame as wanted.
                                                                  5. Click Done to the Pan and Zoom workspace so that you are back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace with its Timeline.

In the Expert workspace,

1. Move the Timeline Indicator to the last frame of the selected pan and zoom clip 1. In Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded, (Toggle Animation should be active at this point), make sure Position settings are 360.0 and 240.0 and Scale = 14.6% (with Constrain Proportions used).Then go to Tools Menu/Freeze Frame and set the freeze frame for 3 seconds and hit Insert in Movie.
                                                                  2. Then move the Timeline Indicator to the first frame of the selected pan and zoom clip 1. In Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded (Toggle Animation should be active at this point), make sure Position settings are 360.0 and 240.0 and Scale = 14.6% (with Constrain Proportions used). Then go to Tools Menu/Freeze Frame and set the freeze frame for 3 seconds and hit Insert in Movie.
                                                                  3. Render.

The Timeline content sequence from start to finish should be:

• Freeze Frame 3 seconds First Frame of pan and zoom clip 1
                                                                  • Pan and zoom clip 1
                                                                  • Freeze Frame 3 seconds Last Frame of pan and zoom clip 1
                                                                  • Freeze Frame 3 seconds First Frame of pan and zoom clip 2
                                                                  • Pan and zoom clip 2
                                                                  • Freeze Frame 3 seconds Last Frame of pan and zoom clip 2

A Dissolve/Cross Dissolve Video Transition (1.00 seconds) is placed between end of Freeze Frame  Last Frame of pan and zoom clip 1 and beginning of Freeze Frame 3 First Frame of pan and zoom clip 2.

Additional pan and zoom portrait oriented jpgs to the Timeline would be treated as above.

What was done above can be applied to any photo with any project preset. The basic idea is to

a. Start with determing the whole picture Position and Scale values as described with the Default Scale to Frame Size option disabled.

b. Do pan and zoom with Pan and Zoom Tool in its workspace

c. Return to Premiere Elements workspace to apply your Position and Scale values to the last frame of pan and zoom clip so that the last frame presents in full clip view. Then go to the first frame of the pan and zoom clip, and apply the Position and Scale values to it so that the first frame presents in full clip view.

d. If you want the whole view to present for more than that one frame, do the freeze frame at each end, with the wanted duration.

e. Apply emblessments as wanted, such as video transitions, an animated graphic flying through the last scene, etc.

We could take this same clip into a NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080p30 project and do the same, except the Position and Scale values and the Scale % determined at the beginning and used subsequently will be different than in the NTSC DV Standard project.

Please check out the above and see how you do with it. If problems, please indicate where and we will work through them.

Thanks.

ATR

• 30. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                    gtavetian Level 1

It is time for me to start beating my head against a wall.  I followed your instructions explicitly twice, and the problem remains.  And the problem commences at the same place it always has.  When I go to tools, pan and zoom, the framing boxes (the little green boxes) take up only a part of the image.  I expand them out by pulling out the corners, and the green box then covers the full width of the vertical picture but only about one half (marginally more than one half) of the length of the picture.

I have got to be missing something obvious.  This should not  be difficult at all.  Am I correct in pulling out the corners of the green boxes to enlarge them?  Is there a way for me to be pulling them from the top or bottom lines?  I just have no idea.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6038413#6038413

• 31. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

The moving and the increasing and deceasing of the Focus Frames in the Pan and Zoom workspace has limits. It is what it is. Your requirement is not to see the whole picture in the middle of the pan and zoom effect, just at the beginning and the end of the finished product as in that YouTube video. If you do each step, you should get just that when you are back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace and complete the instructions.

Have you done each step, step by step? No detours?

Let us back up....Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom/ the Pan and Zoom workspace opens. Are you saying that you do not see

firstview.JPG

the whole picture filling the Pan and Zoom screen Window as in the screenshot? The first pre-made Focus Frame is shown here and is not filling the screen. Those Focus Frames do not expand to fill the whole window. If, for some reason, you are not seeing the whole picture in the Pan and Zoom screen Window, then click on the pre-made Focus Frame 2 in the bin and move the Focus Frame 2 box on screen to where you want it and size it as far as you can. If you follow each of the steps, you should get what is shown in the YouTube video which you have indicated is what you seek.

(If the view in the Pan and Zoom screen Window get stuck at some unexpected view, taking the selection from Focus Frame 1 to 2 corrects that type of unexpected glitch if that is what is happening.

Let us back up even further,

a. Is what you see in the YouTube video what you want?

b. If it is, then those instructions should get you there.

Take a break. Come back to this refreshed. Take another look at this. And, then like us work this out. You can do it.

ATR

• 32. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                        gtavetian Level 1

Ah, a break.  That is a good idea.  As to your question, do I see what you show in the photo.  That is precisely what I see.  the problem is that I can never get the green frame around the entire photo, and therefore I cannot ever get the full photo before zooming or panning, not at the beginning, not at the middle, or not at the end.  I have seen your youtube video and another person's youtube video, and you are both able to get a full vertically oriented photo at the beginning. 

I did follow your instructions without shortcuts.  Break time.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6038693#6038693

• 33. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                          gtavetian Level 1

Ah, a break.  That is a good idea.  As to your question, do I see what you show in the photo.  That is precisely what I see.  the problem is that I can never get the green frame around the entire photo, and therefore I cannot ever get the full photo before zooming or panning, not at the beginning, not at the middle, or not at the end.  I have seen your youtube video and another person's youtube video, and you are both able to get a full vertically oriented photo at the beginning. 

I did follow your instructions without shortcuts.  Break time.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6038693#6038693

• 34. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

After the break, think about the following.

You are never going to get the Focus Frame around the whole photo in the Pan and Zoom Tool workspace in the portrait oriented photo exercise. You get that full picture view after you have done your Focus Frames in the Pan and Zoom Tool workspace and are back in the Premiere Elements workspace.

Back, in the Premiere Elements workspace, you get a full view picture for the last frame when you plug those numbers into the Motion Panel Position and Scale fields and then do the same for the first frame of the clip.

Now you have the full view picture just for the first frame and the full view picture for the last frame.

Then if you want to see the first frame first for longer than the 1 frame then you add the freeze frames at the beginning and end so that you see the full view picture longer.

Did you now see the principle?

Keep the thought - you can do it.

Thanks.

ATR

• 35. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                              gtavetian Level 1

I am promising to take a few days away, but I wanted to check one thing.  The vertical photos I have all seem to show up on the screen hyper-zoomed in, which I think occurred when following your instructions about how to pan and zoom.  How do I get back to having them be normal size?  After I get that done, I will then return in a few days to try to zoom in properly.   Thanks.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6042941#6042941

• 36. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

After you click Done in the Pan and Zoom workspace, you are taken back to the Premiere Elements workspace and its Timeline. That is where you follow the instructions about the last frame and then the first frame to get the beginning and the end whole picture view. Are you seeing those details? That will get the last frame at whole picture view and the first frame at whole picture view when you do the procedure described.

For this exercise, I have you working with "Default Scale to Frame Size" without a check mark.

If you are in the Premiere Elements workspace, you can get back to the program scaling the picture to the frame size of the project preset if you right click the clip and put a check mark next to Scale to Frame Size by clicking at that option.

You can also get back to Default to Scale Size via preferences (Edit Menu/Preferences/General), but then that directive would apply only to what you imported into the program after you re-set that option.

Please let me know if you are OK with those details. If not, I will re-write.

Thanks.

ATR

• 37. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                                  gtavetian Level 1

Thanks.  I am going to give both you and me a couple days break.  My ultimate goal for zooming is to start with the full photo and zoom in to one spot or vice versa, i.e., start in tight and pull back.  Since I am only going to show most slides for maybe 3 seconds, I don't need to zoom in and then pan around.  This should be easier and accomplish what I want.  I will spend the next couple days reciting your mantra for me.  I can do this.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6047161#6047161

• 38. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                                    gtavetian Level 1

Thanks.  I am going to give both you and me a couple days break.  My ultimate goal for zooming is to start with the full photo and zoom in to one spot or vice versa, i.e., start in tight and pull back.  Since I am only going to show most slides for maybe 3 seconds, I don't need to zoom in and then pan around.  This should be easier and accomplish what I want.  I will spend the next couple days reciting your mantra for me.  I can do this.

-

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6047161#6047161

• 39. Re: how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?
                                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

gtavetian

Thanks.

Just focus on step by step and word for word and you can do it.

After you look at this whole idea again refreshed, if needed, I will focus in on each step.

The whole matter hinges on you saying that what I have presented in the YouTube videos samples is the effect that you want for your photos. If so, following the guidelines presented should do the job.

ATR

1 2 Previous Next