6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2014 2:01 AM by Sheila Robinson

Help with boarders using Photoshop

Sheila Robinson

Hello I have Photoshop CS5 and would like to create a box/boarder around some text, I have no idea where to start, I also have Lightroom and Photoshop CC,  can you help please?

Kind regards

Sheila

• 1. Re: Help with boarders using Photoshop
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One of the easiest ways, is to use the rectangle shape tool. Make sure the tool is set to create a shape not a path or pixels.

Place it where you like and move the layer so that it is behind the text.

Now you can select both layers and either group them or convert to a smart object.

The nice thing about doing it this way is both the text and the shape are still editable as the process is non destructive.

• 2. Re: Help with boarders using Photoshop
            Sheila Robinson Level 1

Hello

Thank you I have not tried yet but will do later.  I have another problem at the moment and that is I have lost the crop tool for Photoshop is this something you can help me with please,many thanks

Kind regards

Sheila

• 3. Re: Help with boarders using Photoshop
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sheila,

For the loss of the Crop Tool, I would try these methods to get it back:

• Reset the Crop Tool from the Options bar in the Toolbar at the top of the screen. Test.
              • If that does not get the Crop Tool back, then Reset the Preferences for Ps, by holding down Ctrl+Shift+Alt, IMMEDIATELY after launching Ps, and holding them down, until you get the Reset Preferences dialog screen.

Good luck, and hope that gets your Crop Tool back.

• 4. Re: Help with boarders using Photoshop
                Sheila Robinson Level 1

Good morning Bill

I have Photoshop CS5 open and can not find the Options bar, sorry I am sound dim but I have not had do reset anything with Photoshop, and nothing happens when I follow your other instructions, what am I doing wrong?

Kind regards

Sheila

• 5. Re: Help with boarders using Photoshop
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

High Sheila

It's possible that you might be in a Screen Mode that hides the panels and tool bar. tap the f key to toggle through them.  You need to be able to se the Menu bar and click on Window.  You'll see Options and Tools near the bottom.  They both need to be ticked.

The Crop tool ocupies the same position on the Toolbar as the Slice tool.  Use Shift c to toggle through until you see the Crop tool.

• 6. Re: Help with boarders using Photoshop
                    Sheila Robinson Level 1

Thank you Trevor, Bill and Silkrooster for all your help, I have now sorted out the crop tool it is back where is should be, still not sure about the boarder yet but will work on that later, can you tell me one more thing please, and that is, is it possible to put a circle border around the text please.  Have a good day

Sheila